Best way to wire a sat-nav unit on a Road King : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

richard200448 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Best way to wire a sat-nav unit on a Road King

I would be grateful and interested to hear from other members who have fitted a sat-nav unit to their Harley, paticularly a Road King. I have just started to fit one and decided to route the power cable under the speedometer console on the fuel tank. The console is easy to raise slightly once the bolt/screw is removed and the power cable to the sat-nav is discretely hidden. The next job is to connect the positive and negative cables to the battery.
My only concern about routing the cable underneath the control console is that sufficient cable has to be left at the front in order to steer full lock in both directions. There is nothing obvious for the cable to snag on, so I think that it should be okay, but it is a concern that the cable could snag and restrict steering.
Thanks in advance, Richard
richard200448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

HD-Mike wants to know Dino or Syn?
I did the same with a '06 Softail Heritage a couple of years ago. I pushed a straightened clothes hanger up under the gas tank, hooked a piece of string to the clothes hanger and pulled one end of the string all the way to the battery from the handle bars. I then tied the string to the wires that came with my GPS and pulled it to the battery under the tank.

I zip tied the GPS wire at both ends (near battery and just before the handle bars) to the existing wire bundle that passed under the tank. Never had any issues, snagging or otherwise.
Mike
HD-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Mike View Post
I did the same with a '06 Softail Heritage a couple of years ago. I pushed a straightened clothes hanger up under the gas tank, hooked a piece of string to the clothes hanger and pulled one end of the string all the way to the battery from the handle bars. I then tied the string to the wires that came with my GPS and pulled it to the battery under the tank.

I zip tied the GPS wire at both ends (near battery and just before the handle bars) to the existing wire bundle that passed under the tank. Never had any issues, snagging or otherwise.
Mike
Same here only I used weed eater line to fish the wire through with.
actually I couldnt get it in the tank tunnel so it ran down the side of the frame and under the tank. wire tied it tight on each end (under seat and at the front of the tank). when I did take the tank off later to swap cams the wire was right beside the other wires running down the frame. so I just put one more wire tie in the middle...loose so I can pull the wire back out if needed.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
'04 FXSTDI

gunnut wants to know Dino or Syn?
I extended the battery tender cable up to the fork and fitted my Zumo with a battery tender end. I only use the navi when on long trips so this makes it easy to install and take off. Also makes the battery tender a bit easier as well.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Sam03FLHRI wants to know Dino or Syn?
I added a Powerlet outlet (BMW style ACC plug) on the handlebars near the tripple tree cover. I prefer to remove my mount when I'm not using it or moving it to my other bike. Mine Zumo mount uses RAM Mounts and removes in a second. I routed the cable for the Powerlet under the tank be raising it slightly and directly to the battery, it is fused.
I can also use this plug to charge my mobile in a pinch.
Sam03FLHRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
R T
Premium Member

R T wants to know Dino or Syn?
When installing my Zumo on my RK I ran the wire into the headlight housing and picked up power controlled by the switch. There are several places there to get power and all are already fused.

I originally fished it under the tank but pulled it back out because more of the wire was visible that way.

RT
R T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

dickey wants to know Dino or Syn?
I dunno--never owned a GPS;never will. I can always find anyplace I need to be with a map or by asking. (Except in NYC, where nobody speaks English) I think we have too many electronic things to spend money on & then they break. Don't need no GPS,MP3,DVR,XM,VHS,YOU,ME,OKDOKY,etc The only cocession I make to modern tech is a PC & a cell phone (the $14 Wal-Mart kind,no I phone for me)

Last edited by dickey; 11-25-2009 at 07:49 PM.
dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
'04 FXSTDI

gunnut wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey View Post
I dunno--never owned a GPS;never will. I can always find anyplace I need to be with a map or by asking. (Except in NYC, where nobody speaks English) I think we have too many electronic things to spend money on & then they break. Don't need no GPS,MP3,DVR,XM,VHS,YOU,ME,OKDOKY,etc The only cocession I make to modern tech is a PC & a cell phone (the $14 Wal-Mart kind,no I phone for me)
Good for you! thanks for the rant.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

richard200448 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Many thanks for all the intersting and helpful replies.
Richard
richard200448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

caysea wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by R T View Post
When installing my Zumo on my RK I ran the wire into the headlight housing and picked up power controlled by the switch. There are several places there to get power and all are already fused.

I originally fished it under the tank but pulled it back out because more of the wire was visible that way.

RT
That is exactly how I did mine. I leave the Ram mount on the bars, but with the power switched I can dark it when the Zumo is not in the mount.
caysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

als2052 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The bolt/screw holding down the console...does that screw in or does it have bolt on other end????
als2052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement