103 Engine Noise : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

Coupe55 wants to know Dino or Syn?
103 Engine Noise

I have a 2010 Tri Glide and have about 600 miles on it now. Stayed below the 2500 RPM mark for the first 50, the first 500 really. The Trike runs great now and seems to be breaking in just fine. I do hear a little tick, tick, tick, sound, like the sound a solid lifter makes. I am getting a little sound from the primary I know and also know a lot of this will quieten down when I do the first 1000 mile service.

My 03 Electra Standard is acutally a little quieter! Is the ticking noise just the nature of the brute or do I need to get the tech to look at adjusting the valves on the 1000 mile service?
On a Quantum Harley I don't know where I am but I'm going really fast!
I want to die peacfully in my sleep like grandpa did, not like the screaming passenger on his Harley!
Coupe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
Much of the noise is from crank pinion runout. based on where the pinion shaft is out of true as to how if effects the cam. Some are loud others are not. HD is not going to do much of anything for you. So if it still runs great ride the bike.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe55 View Post
I have a 2010 Tri Glide and have about 600 miles on it now. Stayed below the 2500 RPM mark for the first 50, the first 500 really. The Trike runs great now and seems to be breaking in just fine. I do hear a little tick, tick, tick, sound, like the sound a solid lifter makes. I am getting a little sound from the primary I know and also know a lot of this will quieten down when I do the first 1000 mile service.

My 03 Electra Standard is acutally a little quieter! Is the ticking noise just the nature of the brute or do I need to get the tech to look at adjusting the valves on the 1000 mile service?
600 miles is broke-in enough. Time to ride it like you stole and see if it breaks. I hear a little "tick, tick" sound from my 96in sometimes - same with my 03 95in, but nothing that concerns me enough to tear into a good running engine.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Electra Geezer wants to know Dino or Syn?
In 40 years of riding I have purchased all but 1 bike new. I have NEVER paid attention to the break-in BS. I do all the service maintanance at the proper intervals but that break-in, don't do this, do that, scratch your a$$ at every other light, only use your left hand to scratch your balls, etc, is BS. Ride the bike! If something takes a dump H-D will fix it under warranty.
Electra Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Coupe55 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Break In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra Geezer View Post
In 40 years of riding I have purchased all but 1 bike new. I have NEVER paid attention to the break-in BS. I do all the service maintanance at the proper intervals but that break-in, don't do this, do that, scratch your a$$ at every other light, only use your left hand to scratch your balls, etc, is BS. Ride the bike! If something takes a dump H-D will fix it under warranty.
You know you are right, this is my second new Harley and with the first one I rode the crap out of it right out of the box. Never had any problems with it.

I believe it is all the engine noise bouncing back off all that fairing! Never owned one with all the sail material this one has, upper fairing, lower fairing. It is not a loud ticking sound, I am betting the 1000 mile oil change will quieten it down. I don't hear it with the bike cold, just when it is hot.
On a Quantum Harley I don't know where I am but I'm going really fast!
I want to die peacfully in my sleep like grandpa did, not like the screaming passenger on his Harley!
Coupe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

dickey wants to know Dino or Syn?
MJy RoadKing is much noisier when I ride with the windsheil attatched. Acts like a sounding board. No biggie.
dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe55 View Post
I believe it is all the engine noise bouncing back off all that fairing! Never owned one with all the sail material this one has, upper fairing, lower fairing. It is not a loud ticking sound, I am betting the 1000 mile oil change will quieten it down. I don't hear it with the bike cold, just when it is hot.
You just solved your own problem. There have been many of folks who ride other big twins then get on a fairing bike and notice sounds they are not used to hearing, especially a Ultra Classic.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
I HATE 'bing'...

TriLs wants to know Dino or Syn?
Still breaking in my TriGlide. The dealer just said not to do anything consistently- vary speeds and gears to run from 1000 rpm to 3000 rpm. Others on here have confirmed that advice, adding that it helps the rings run in.

No strange noises yet...!

Tri

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble,
it's what you know for sure that just ain't so..."

Mark Twain

Live well...Love faithfully...Laugh often.

"Spirit", a Vivid Black '09 TriGlide, 103" stock, V&H Dresser slipons,
SE Stage 1 A/C, SERT, fairing-mounted oil temp, Zumo 660, small
bits o' glitz, and HD foggies on dedicated foot pegs.

http://www.ecclesia-ministries.org

TriLs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

niget2002 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mine ticks with the windshield on too, It must be the windshield

Current Build
'06 FXSTBi... sold to cover day care for the baby
'05 883 Sporty... Borrowed from Dad... Love Ya Man!
niget2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
I HATE 'bing'...

TriLs wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well, just in case I DO get any engine noises in the future, I'm adding the V & H slip-ons now...

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble,
it's what you know for sure that just ain't so..."

Mark Twain

Live well...Love faithfully...Laugh often.

"Spirit", a Vivid Black '09 TriGlide, 103" stock, V&H Dresser slipons,
SE Stage 1 A/C, SERT, fairing-mounted oil temp, Zumo 660, small
bits o' glitz, and HD foggies on dedicated foot pegs.

http://www.ecclesia-ministries.org

TriLs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriLs View Post
Well, just in case I DO get any engine noises in the future, I'm adding the V & H slip-ons now...

Speaking of slip ons. I was at a dealer yesterday getting my horn which was full of water fixed. A couple guys rolled in on 2010 Ultra Limiteds, one stock exhaust and the other with Rinehart slip ons. I was surprised when the bike with the rinehart slip on's sounded almost like the one with the stock exhaust. The cat in the head pipe must cut back on the noise pretty good.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
FNG :)

dmaxwell007 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I picked up an Ultra Limited and I notice a ticking sound at about 3000 rpm. I would think this is normal (although I have no clue what it is) but I never heard anything like it on my 04 RK. At the risk of a bunch of wise crack answers... Anyone have any clue what this could be??
dmaxwell007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

1949shoebox wants to know Dino or Syn?
the higher comp. motors are a bit noisier than the smaller ones, due to force from the cam lift to the valve train. it's normal... anything more than a slight tick investigate further
1949shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Back in the saddle

ReRoll wants to know Dino or Syn?
My dealer just told me to be inconsistant, just vary the hell out of it and ride. That's what I did and it's just fine.

Cliff

Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats!
H.L.Mencken
ReRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)

bamorris2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Should have rode it like you stole it during that first 50 miles, not babied it.
bamorris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement