2009 Touring Service Interval : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
2009 Touring Service Interval

I was surprised to learn when I took my 2009 Ultra in for it's 5000 mile service that the service interval for Primary is now 10,000 and Trans 20,000 miles. I would have known this If I had read the service interval chart in my shop manual but i just assumed that it would be the same. I think that is quite a jump from every 5000 miles on my 2006 Ultra. So, what's different to justify extended interval?
1L243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
ASA Lives

Ultra89Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Better Bike??
"lIgh tlhab"
(Ride Free)
. . . .
Ultra89Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
2005 Road King Classic

bbrowncods wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sometime in 2005 or 2006 they came out with a service bulletin that changed those intervals (SB-849). I saw it back when the HOG site had them all displayed, and I copied down the info in my Service Manual. In that same bulletin they added the brake fluid flush every two years (Note 5).
If I may ask, what does your manual say about Front Fork oil change. Mine says 20K but my Owners Manual says every 50K.
05 Road King Classic - Sierra red pearl/RB Racing LSR 2-1 Titanium ceramic w/Chrome shields/98" RevPerf BB/37g cam's/Stock 99B lifters/Stage 2 CNC'd heads by R&R(GMR) 9.7 CR/Stock Throttlebody and SE air filter/500cc injectors/TTS and modified EFI to '07 w/O2 sensors/Super Premium Oil Cooler/SE Clutch spring w/Easy-pull ramp and a bunch of this and that!

People afraid of the government is tyranny, government afraid of the people is democracy.
bbrowncods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
2009 Touring disassemble and lubricate every 50,000 miles. That is the same service interval that was on my 2006. And they actually did tear the front end down, I watched them do it. Big job when you throw it in with the 50,000 mile service. I was glad I had the PPM. My 2006 Ultra Trans and Primary was every 5000 miles so the change must have occurred after that. My 2003 Ultra required fork oil every 20,000 miles.
1L243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

TLMitchell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1L243 View Post
I think that is quite a jump from every 5000 miles on my 2006 Ultra. So, what's different to justify extended interval?
Did that when they introduce Formula+ lube. Always wondered about the tranny @ 5k, always came out clean. How often do you change transmission fluid on a cage?

I still do the primary at 5k. An awful lot of clutch crud to be leaving in there for 10k IMO. Fluid's cheap compared to parts.

TL
TLMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider View Post
Better Bike??
Its the same bike it was a few years ago. Two things, I don't think it really needs to be changed that much and maybe they are trying to get past the idea that these are maintenace intesive bikes.

I don't go 20k on the gearbox, but I think you could, I got no problem letting it go over 5k. Same with the primary, its just an oil bath for a chain. Though I am sure alot of people could come up with a better technical rebuke.

What doeas do to the guys who just like to change oil? Makes them feel a bond with there bike? You know the guys who change it every 2k miles, instead going out and riding it.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.