Will the Harley Lehman TriGlide survive? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

Coupe55 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Will the Harley Lehman TriGlide survive?

Lehman was in trouble before Harley come to the rescue and collaborated with them when bringing out the 09 TriGlide. Lehman Trike stock is at .11 cents and they have shut down the fiberglass plant in Westlock Canada stating transportation cost problems. As most corporations they posted 1st quarter losses and the second quarter does not look to be much better. Will Harley go with another Trike conversion kit if Lehman goes under? Will Harley develop thier own Trike conponents if Lehman fails or will the TriGlide be a short lived model? Triglide sales numbers are low and if the model is discontinued the owners may have a Harley that will appreciate in value overnight. Any info on the Harley Lehman marriage?
Coupe55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

baggersport wants to know Dino or Syn?
...can't guess whether Lehman will survive....but if HD wants to continue producing Tri-Glides...and Lehman is going down....they'll just buy them out.

Big Boyz Street Heads
207-242-8374 Cell Phone
207-621-8089 Port/Dyno Shop
baggersport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

adlerx wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggersport View Post
...can't guess whether Lehman will survive....but if HD wants to continue producing Tri-Glides...and Lehman is going down....they'll just buy them out.

My thoughts exactly!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

HD Buying Lehman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggersport View Post

The TriGlide was a good Idea until the market crash and the 08 recission set in. The Trike was geared toward the older rider who would probably be a babyboomer in the income level that would be able to afford some discretionary spending. Thing is the 08 and ongoing recession is hurting sales because a lot of 401 K's got wiped out right at retirement time and priorities have now changed for the group the Trike was built for. With sales of the Trike way below expected levels why would you buy a Corporation to sustain a product that is not generating the revenue necesssary to keep it in production. Just one part of that company is geared up for TriGlide's the rest supply's conversion kits for other makes. Would Harley feel comfortable making Trike Conversion Kits for their competition? Harley stock has taken a beating over the last year and a half also and overall sales are down! To many models and as GM will have to decide which models to drop! I feel the TriGlide is a short lived model if Lehman Trike goes under.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

baggersport wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree about the market for the tri- and would be surprised to see it continue......in a normal business plan.....but HD may want to keep it, and will if they want to. We've all seen things that the MoCo has done that we think is right-on.........and others that make us wonder how they survive.

Big Boyz Street Heads
207-242-8374 Cell Phone
207-621-8089 Port/Dyno Shop
baggersport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
6th Generation Texan

Texian wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't know if this is a big factor or not...

Maybe if they were to get more to the Dealers to sell it would help.One of the big Dealers had one many months ago and that was it.
Maybe they were/are putting a limited amount out and were/are hoping to get a big increase over MSRP ?

I don't think that is a winning plan.

2004 RKC
Stage II 95",Andrews 26
SE AC,SE II Pro 98b's,SEST
TWR Stabilizer,Glide Pro Frt. Mount
Corbin Solo,Zumo 550,Alaskan Butt Pad - Good to Go !
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Trikes are expensive, but baby boomers are getting old too.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Mikie wants to know Dino or Syn?
There's a strong rumor that HD has entered into a co-branding agreement with Kimberly-Clark to rename the Tri-Glide. The 2010 edition will be renamed FLHTCUDG - DependsGlide.
Mikie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

Depends Glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
There's a strong rumor that HD has entered into a co-branding agreement with Kimberly-Clark to rename the Tri-Glide. The 2010 edition will be renamed FLHTCUDG - DependsGlide.
They will also have a false teeth cup and Bengay dispenser. Big Numeral easy read Gauges and a roaming Home Alert System. A dual use trickle charge & defibulator unit and an accessory hearing aid jack for the rider helmet. You get the safety discount off the price of the Trike if you take the AARP Safety Riders Course
Old 07-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I put the TriGlide in the same category as the CVO bikes. Not too many people have the desire or the money to pay $30K for a bike. Yes, the economy is a factor but even in a robust economy i don't see them selling that many trikes.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Harley Hoveround

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles to go View Post
I put the TriGlide in the same category as the CVO bikes. Not too many people have the desire or the money to pay $30K for a bike. Yes, the economy is a factor but even in a robust economy i don't see them selling that many trikes.
Well Harley's first serious attempt at a Trike since the Service Car, "was that 100% Harley?" was still a sound move on paper. Who knew the economy was going to tank the year they brought it out. I feel there was a niche market for it but the recession and the jobless recovery may spell its doom. A long deep recession makes it even more doubtful a colaboration with another Corporation on the ropes can survive. I feel if had been 100% Harley the chance of long term success would have been almost guranteed. I am hoping as we get closer to the end of July some people in the know will post some positive news about the TriGlide.

Last edited by Coupe55; 07-08-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

ShovelheadBill wants to know Dino or Syn?
HD Tri Glide and Lehmen kit are two different animals. Harley sought help from Lehman initially, but the Tri Glide is a Harley-only product. If Lehman goes the way of the Dodo bird, the Tri Glide will most likely, sadly, continue.
ShovelheadBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShovelheadBill View Post
If Lehman goes the way of the Dodo bird, the Tri Glide will most likely, sadly, continue.
Why do you say sadly continue? Harley seems to have hit on a pretty good seller. The dealer where I'm getting my 2010 from sold the 3 09's they were allotted before they even came in. It looks like they will be able to sell all the 2010's that they will get also. I've been at a few dealers that say they can sell all every one they can get their hands on. Every place my dad goes his 09 draws quite a crowd of young and old.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

sofia91 wants to know Dino or Syn?
My local dealer insists that the Triglide is made with a Lehman produced rear end whether it's marketed as all Harley or not. That said, if Lehman goes under or not there's plenty of companies that would gladly cut a deal with Harley to provide them with the back end. And, Harley knows that as the boomers get older, the market will get bigger, so I don't think the Harley trike is going away any time soon.

If I end up too decrepit to ride two, you can bet I'll ride three.
sofia91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

ShovelheadBill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by msocko3 View Post
Why do you say sadly continue? Harley seems to have hit on a pretty good seller. The dealer where I'm getting my 2010 from sold the 3 09's they were allotted before they even came in. It looks like they will be able to sell all the 2010's that they will get also. I've been at a few dealers that say they can sell all every one they can get their hands on. Every place my dad goes his 09 draws quite a crowd of young and old.
We're not really going to start this argument ALL over again are we?

To sofia91: The actual supplier of parts isn't even Lehman--I'm guessing. Companies that put stuff together (like Harley) seldom actually creat the stuff from raw metal. In Harley's case, they farm out to a number of different suppliers to give them the pieces, they come in much like when you get a plastic model from the store.

Harley is claiming this is their baby, so they obviously have a connection to the direct supplier. And as long as people want 'em, they'll make 'em.
ShovelheadBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.