0-60 Times - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Premium Member

niget2002 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The sportster used to get well above 60 by the end of the width of a divided highway... There's an underpass I used to go through daily and if you got a good jump on green, then you could get straight through the light on the other side just as it turned yellow. The softail isn't nearly that quick (keep getting caught at the light).

Current Build
'06 FXSTBi... sold to cover day care for the baby
'05 883 Sporty... Borrowed from Dad... Love Ya Man!
niget2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by niget2002 View Post
The sportster used to get well above 60 by the end of the width of a divided highway... There's an underpass I used to go through daily and if you got a good jump on green, then you could get straight through the light on the other side just as it turned yellow. The softail isn't nearly that quick (keep getting caught at the light).
i just wheelie through those intersections. then its time to hit third at 72 mph.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
i just wheelie through those intersections. then its time to hit third at 72 mph.
Is that the trick where you're facing backwards and watching the tach with a mirror???
Torq Monster Motorworks
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Seriously, I doubt many people try to measure 0-60, and I think it would be difficult to do accurately - unless maybe a GPS could do it.

Some folks here might be able to post time tix from the strip. Those would show accurate times at different points and you might be able to extrapolate for a sense of 0-60 times. Or, you might just settle for 1/8 mile times and mph, discounting for differences in tracks, temperature, rider skill and other things - that might provide the most accurate info for you.

Only other thing might be to search through different magazine tests and see if any of them do 0-60 comparisons. Maybe google "motorcycle reviews" or some such.

Good luck!
Torq Monster Motorworks
Old 12-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Premium Member

VRYQUIK wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDRYDR View Post
Seriously, I doubt many people try to measure 0-60, and I think it would be difficult to do accurately - unless maybe a GPS could do it.

Some folks here might be able to post time tix from the strip. Those would show accurate times at different points and you might be able to extrapolate for a sense of 0-60 times. Or, you might just settle for 1/8 mile times and mph, discounting for differences in tracks, temperature, rider skill and other things - that might provide the most accurate info for you.

Only other thing might be to search through different magazine tests and see if any of them do 0-60 comparisons. Maybe google "motorcycle reviews" or some such.

Good luck!

It can be done with a SE Race Tuner in "Data Mode".

VRYQUIK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
Premium Member

hdmarsh77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sometimes I'm just clicking into 5th but if I'm getting on it then I'm still in second and accelorating way too fast to count!

"I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane." WJ

hdmarsh77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wicked!

Carrie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy95 View Post
Dam I can hit 60 in 2nd going into 3rd on my fatboy.

Vrod's not mine
Old 12-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Is that the trick where you're facing backwards and watching the tach with a mirror???
nah, the mirror is for shooting baloons over the shoulder. the hard part is featering the rear brake with your left heel.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

tomv wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamyoo06 View Post
You'd think. But it's tough to find boards that worry more about hp and tq than these ones! If it's only for the numbers, then we admit it's bar stool. If it's about performance, then 0-60 and 1/4-mile times, while not exhaustive, are relevant.
in theory you are correct...i think that in real life though the numbers are a justification for and proof that the upgrades actually resulted in marked improvements in performance...in most cases everyone is just after a better seat of the pants rush form a bike that in stock form isnt much of a thriller....

its all fun and games till someone gets hurt...then its one of americas funniest hime videos...
tomv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #25 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomv View Post
in theory you are correct...i think that in real life though the numbers are a justification for and proof that the upgrades actually resulted in marked improvements in performance...in most cases everyone is just after a better seat of the pants rush form a bike that in stock form isnt much of a thriller....
The O to 60 times is a good indication of how hard a machine is leaving a dead stop.For a drag racer it is an important number to monitior.For the street drag racer it is still a good bit of information.No doubt a lot of you could care less,but we hot rodder/ex drag racers are still curious.My short numbers are now measured by the seat of the pants,and the occasional throttle jockey I meet out on the asphalt,which by the way is a lot of fun for we adrinaline junkies! I plan on feeling as much like an 18 yr old as long as I can,so you that are just cruisers, bear with us that are not ready to give it up.I love to cruise as muuch as the next guy,but if you want to play you can bet I am always ready.
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

Scarbelly wants to know Dino or Syn?
True that, 0-60(mph) times are the indicator most publications use as the standard as to how hard a vehicle accelerates. Not to be confused with 60'(foot) times, which is used in drag racing to evaluate how hard a vehicle launches, and if it is indeed 'hooked up'. Kinda the same, but different...
Scarbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

a neat gizmo

http://www.gtechpro.com/ss.html
Old 12-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRYQUIK View Post
It can be done with a SE Race Tuner in "Data Mode".

Wow! Didn't know that, but it's a cool thing to build-in. I'm a carb guy.
Torq Monster Motorworks
Old 12-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Premium Member

VRYQUIK wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Wow! Didn't know that, but it's a cool thing to build-in. I'm a carb guy.

Another neat thing about this feature is to compare before and after changes that you have made to your bike. When using this feature, it's better to make a run in second or third gear depending on the highway's speed limit. Run the bike as if you are on a dynamometer. Go WOT just before 2,000 RPMs and run it up to red line. Of course you can do a 0-60 mph but you have to take into account for wheel spin.

This particular picture is of a 2003 Softail Heritage that I was comparing 20w-50 HD oil to 15w-40 AMS Oil. Both runs were compared at a starting speed of approx. 20 mph and an ending speed of 65, both in the same gear.
The run when using 15w-40 had an decreased time difference of
.336 seconds and a decrease distance in feet of 26 feet. It also had an increase "G" force of .032.

I guess that you just found out how to increase power by just doing an oil change. Interesting isn't it?:

VRYQUIK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
Iron Butt, SS2000

jerry34208 wants to know Dino or Syn?
One run was 26 feet longer than the other. And it covered an additional MPH of acceleration. Is this supposed to be apples to apples?

'01 FXD built & tuned by Doc

Now if only I could learn to ride worth a sh!t...
jerry34208 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.