How cold is too cold to ride? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

View Poll Results: How cold is too cold to ride?
It is never too cold. 23 11.39%
If the temperature is below 0 degrees. 26 12.87%
If the temperature is below 32 degrees. 71 35.15%
If the temperature is below 45 degrees. 47 23.27%
If the temperature is below 55 degrees. 12 5.94%
If the temperature is below 65 degrees. 3 1.49%
If the temperature is below 72 degrees. 0 0%
I live in the South, I'm glad I don't live in the North! 20 9.90%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

HogDreamer wants to know Dino or Syn?
How cold is too cold to ride?

Being that I leave in the far North (Minnesota) I was wondering how cold it has to be for others to drive a cage instead of the bike.
My limit is about 34 degrees with frost and around 28 degrees without a clear sky. (Which usually means no frost) I won't ride if it is snowing or blowing too hard. (Over 30 mph wind)

I'm lucky though, although not as lucky as those who live outside the snow belt. I have a fairing and windshield plus lowers which helps keep the cold from hitting me as much as someone riding with no frontal protection.

I do wear thicker, insulated gloves ON MY HANDS when it gets below 38 degrees. Anything above that and I like to keep my thinner leather gloves on as it gives me a much better feeling of control while riding.

Looks like I may get a couple more weeks of riding in before the North winds close the window of opportunity for good until spring.
HogDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

TheNowhereman wants to know Dino or Syn?
You'll know when it's too cold when the bike slips out from under you when your sitting on it at a light.
TheNowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

niget2002 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The temperature's not the problem... it's the precipitation.

I'll ride well into the 20's as long as it hasn't rained for a while. If there's any slightest hint of precip... I won't ride below 35ish.

Current Build
'06 FXSTBi... sold to cover day care for the baby
'05 883 Sporty... Borrowed from Dad... Love Ya Man!
niget2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

tomv wants to know Dino or Syn?
my lowest temp was 38* when i lived in ny but it was only lightweight rides for a bar hop, friends house or occassional errand....did a 200 miler at 44* once and it was nice when my nuts crawled back out of my body and into my sack again...some things just arent all that much fun...

its not uncommon in florida during the winter to ride to work (1/2 hour) at 45* and return at 75-80* in the evening...that makes it a little more bearable...the total absence of rain that time of year is a bonus also....

its all fun and games till someone gets hurt...then its one of americas funniest hime videos...
tomv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

towboattrash34 wants to know Dino or Syn?
below 40 for me after that i just have too many clothes on to enjoy or have good control of the bike

2012 CVO Ultra. And loving it !!!

06 Dyna Lowrider...Sold..Gone,but not forgotten...
towboattrash34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

evilspringer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Coldest I've ridden is -8 degrees without the wind chill. I put the heated gear on when the temps get below 20. Kinda rough in the mornings to work when it's still dark and hard to see ice patches but I just go slower. For the first 10 miles hardly no traffic at 6 am
evilspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Evil Clown

luvstoride is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I will ride to work (10 miles) if it hovers around freezing in the AM. The ride home would typically be 10 - 20 degrees warmer. Any colder, and I have to wear too much clothing to make the ride enjoyable. I put less than 2000 miles on the cage this year.
Helmets: Let those who ride decide.
luvstoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
im a puss. with this humidity, about 45 is cutof point. can do an hour in the 30's if temps went below freezing (froze humidity from the air) otherwise, my comfort zone is really in the 50's or higher.

i dont know how yall do it in the teens. when i was in my teen years and up to around 25, no problem, but as age sets in and circulation decreases, i get in the hoopty and turn the wonder ful knobs that say HEAT and WARM!!
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Mikey23699 wants to know Dino or Syn?
pretty much anything cooler than mid 50ish... no fairing/windshield. like already said. to many clothes to make it enjoyable. unless just taking a mid winter spin around the block.
Mikey23699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

MATUCHI wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogDreamer View Post
Being that I leave in the far North (Minnesota) I was wondering how cold it has to be for others to drive a cage instead of the bike. :
When it starts to snow I put the Harley away and ride my dual sport.

1989 FXST - 93 c.i.d. - 93 hp - 525 lbs - pretty quick!
MATUCHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

scottq60 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I rode last week...when I left the house at 4:45am, the temp was 36 deg. I wore insulated boots, coveralls, and my rain gear to block the wind. I also had thinsulate-lined ski gloves and my full-face Nolan...my fingers were a bit numb after the 14 miles to work, and my toes were slightly colder than I expected, but otherwise, I just felt so constricted with all that stuff on, I decided it's best to just take the cage when it's below 40 outside. I'm already wishin' spring would hurry and get here...

scottq60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ColdRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Dress for the temp. I won't ride after the state plow crews put the calcium on the roads. Ride a RK Custom with a windshield. Really dislike ice. Stop to get warm when I can't pull the clutch with my frozen fingers. Probably a damm fool!!
ColdRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
I enjoy farting

Elk Oil wants to know Dino or Syn?
The coldest I ever rode was 20 F. I've ridden in snow, sleet and lots of cold rain, but I don't enjoy it. Tire adhesion is greatly reduced during cold weather, so I'd rather be safe than sorry and take the car if it's below freezing.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

gkellys wants to know Dino or Syn?
When I was a few years younger I would ride mid 30s at times and still have fun. Now at 53 years old I don't like riding below 50 degrees or so other than short distances. Every year it goes up a couple degrees. Thankfully in Georgia that only kicks in about 3 months a year. Aging ain't no joke.
gkellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
I haven't seen your bird.

MadCity is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally posted by ColdRider
I won't ride after the state plow crews put the calcium on the roads.
Ditto that (good screen name for this thread, BTW). When they salt the roads, I'm done. I rode today, though, and it was chilly but doable. Mid-30s this morning, not much higher on the way home, with some sleet and snow flurries in between. Even with gloves, my hands got pretty cold and stiff. Still, I plan to ride the remainder of this week. I'll probably get the bike serviced sometime next week and pack it in until spring.
Advertisement