When is the best time to buy a 2009, Nov, Dec or Jan ??? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

moulin6801 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Exclamation When is the best time to buy a 2009, Nov, Dec or Jan ???

[COLOR="DarkRed"][/COLOR]
Hey guys, I am pretty much ready to buy my new bike, I am still in the fance about the St.Glide or Electra Classic, but I guess I will figure this out next weekend, or as soon I can test drive the Electra. I rode the St Glide this Saturday and it was very sweet ride, lot fun, easy to handle. If the Electra handles as well as the St Glide, I will buy the Electra, since it uppears to be a better buy for "the same bike"
Now, the question is. Shall I get it now, while I still can ride, here in TN, or wait until the deals are better??
Last year they were offering the "Chrom Cash" $1,500 with any new bike, but I can't remmember what month it was??? Do you??
Thanks
David
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
In most cases, the longer you wait the better deal you will get. I just bought a new SG because i didn't want to wait - still got it for MSRP. If you can hold out i would wait till close to the end of Dec then try to make a deal. Of course a lot of this depends on the dealers inventory at the time. If they have several bikes (that you want) sitting on the floor (or in storage) then you may get a good deal. Don't look for them to come off the MSRP though, especially on an SG. You may however get some chrome cash or other goodies offered.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Moneygreen

arealinvestor wants to know where he is and how he got here
I would wait till Dec.The stealers will be trying to get the 09 off the books by the end of year.Especially in areas where the weather is cold.You should be able get any model at MSRP or maybe even less if you can haggle.The economy is in your favor with things being slow.The only people who are buying bikes are people with good credit & stable jobs.Hell ,HD might be offering discounted financing in Dec. to pick up sales!!!!!

2010 Ultra Classic Hot Rod Built & Tuned by JD's
BB & Baisley Hybrid Heads with man/Comp releases
Axtell Pistons & Cylinders set with high comp,Big CCP
Darkhorse Stroker Crank,balanced,plugged & welded
Woods A/C kit & Lifters
T-Man gear crank set
High Flow HPI Inj & BB TBW Throttle body
D&D Boarzilla (perforated baffle)
Lenale cooling fan
Jagg 10 row oil cooler
K&P engineering oil filter
To much more to list!!!!!!
arealinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

reg26 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I can tell you that according to some of my friends who are in the motorcycle biz here that November is the slowest month of the year for selling bikes
Old 11-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Prototype413 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Probably not what you want to hear, but I would wait and see how the 09's are for a while. First year makes usually have problems, upgrades, or a few changes the next year. They may even upgrade the tranny to eliminate the 5th gear whine. Anyway, the SG is a sweet bike. If you are dead set on buying now, you should be able to find an MSRP dealer via Google, etc., and buy from them. Also consider that there may be some special interest rate deals in the near future. If you can compete dealers against each other by explaining that so and so is offering a better price, it should be no problem getting a decent deal almost anytime of year.
Prototype413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club
11-01-10
That's why people with no sense of humor have an increased sense of self-importance

I'm only responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.

I used to think I was overreacting, then I realized it was just a normal reaction to an abnormal amount of bullsh!t.
Ahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

FLSTFI Dave wants to know Dino or Syn?
In east TN Dec and Jan are usually the slowest months for sales as it is the coldest weather.

13 CVO Road King Anniversary, #162
12 CVO Road Glide, White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black
03 FLSTFI Silver and Black, now has real fire radical paint set. 95", S&S 570G cams, V&H Big Shot Longs
11 FLHX Street Glide, Purple and black, wifes ride
09 FLSTC Heritage Teal and Antique White, wifes ride
FLSTFI Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

2005fltri wants to know Dino or Syn?
whenever you decide to pull the trigger,keep in mind that most of the larger dealers are using car sales tatics. so the last day of the onth is your best bargaining chip as long as you are prepared to buy is on the spot.

Brian
2005fltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

FLHTCUI09 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Today, Right Now
PGR Member, NRA
2 ADS AR 15's, Colt Anaconda and Gold Cup
Semper Fi 69-72
FLHTCUI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Join MRF/ABATE

Bluzmn59 wants to know Dino or Syn?
When the '10's come out. When the dealer wanted to make space for the '09's, we got my wife's '08 Heritage for $3,000 below MSRP.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u65/Bluzmn59/BeachSig.jpg

1959 FLH
2007 FLSTSC
2011 FLTRU

My Photo Albums
Bluzmn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype413 View Post
Probably not what you want to hear, but I would wait and see how the 09's are for a while. First year makes usually have problems, upgrades, or a few changes the next year. They may even upgrade the tranny to eliminate the 5th gear whine.
Nothing changed on the 09's except the frame. From my experience on my 09 SG [and what others a saying] the new frame is a great improvement. As for the tranny, why fix something that is not broken. 1st and 5th gears sound different because of the way the gears are cut. I can't even hear any difference in 5th gear on my bike. 1st gear does have a little noise but i'm sure that will get better with some miles and some Redline Heavy gear oil. My opinion - there is no time like the present to buy a new bike.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

20538 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
also keep in mind some dealers add freight, set up and other fees. then they'll tell you they're giving you free money to spend, well you just gave them extra money and they're giving you back your own cash actually. MSRP, with free freight, set up and no extra charges for starters then go from there.
20538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

fireinv38 wants to know Dino or Syn?
the best time to buy is just prior to july 31st. the fiscal year ends and the allotment for the dealers is based on the prior years sales. took a shot and waited and got my 08 crossbones at a substantial savings. approx. $2000 less than when it first came out. if you can't wait BUY IT NOW and enjoy it. been riding since the early 60's it doesnt get any better than this. enjoy. be safe
fireinv38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
semi-retired

FatBobRob wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjams View Post
also keep in mind some dealers add freight, set up and other fees. then they'll tell you they're giving you free money to spend, well you just gave them extra money and they're giving you back your own cash actually. MSRP, with free freight, set up and no extra charges for starters then go from there.
I've never seen the freight waived,but i have seen setup free.
Advertisement