Helmets on " Son's of Anarchy" : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

118811 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Helmets on " Son's of Anarchy"

This kind of a silly question....but those 1/2 helmets the guys are wearing..do they provide any real protection? Are they real helmets? Or just for show?
There seems to only be about 1" between their head and the outer shell, no padding or very little. They look cool, though

I have a HD 1/2 helmet and it's outer shell is about 2.5" off my head
118811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

rickr01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 118811 View Post
This kind of a silly question....but those 1/2 helmets the guys are wearing..do they provide any real protection? Are they real helmets? Or just for show?
There seems to only be about 1" between their head and the outer shell, no padding or very little. They look cool, though

I have a HD 1/2 helmet and it's outer shell is about 2.5" off my head

Novely helmets. Nope no protection, if they hit the pavement with any force they crack in two, but in most cases they just fly off your head first. Many folks here, including myself wear a novelty skull cap.
rickr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

tigerbikerbill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 118811 View Post

TOMV is regularly shot from a cannon feet first wearing that type of helmet.

He shows no signs of brain damage whatsoever.

Bill

Voted as official forum pinup (pimp?) 2004 - 2010 (retired 2011)
tigerbikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbikerbill View Post

Bill
That's why people with no sense of humor have an increased sense of self-importance

I'm only responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.

I used to think I was overreacting, then I realized it was just a normal reaction to an abnormal amount of bullsh!t.
Ahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Retrax wants to know Dino or Syn?
The scene where Opie pulls up next to his dad to ask for money to cover his overdue car payment was kinda funny. The actor has a huge mellon. Along with the bandana on top of his head, the novelty lid looks like a child's helmet perched on top of his head. I liked the dad's German style helmet better, at least it fit.
Retrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
They are called "penis helmets" around this area. The kid asking for the loan on the TV show was a good example of that look.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

tomv wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr01 View Post
Novely helmets. Nope no protection, if they hit the pavement with any force they crack in two, but in most cases they just fly off your head first. Many folks here, including myself wear a novelty skull cap.
i too wear a novelty "beanie" helmet in a helmet free state..heres why...

when i moved to florida my helmets were hung up in the garage and all but forgotten about...one cold morning i threw one on cause it looked like a light rain and about 50*...looking for a little extra warmth...being from ny i was accustomed to wearing one all the time so it really wasnt an issue to throw it on...

travelling at 50 mph i was introduced to the side of a pickup truck that ran a stop sign directly in front of me at a high rate of speed...i hit the truck...then the ground with a great deal of force judging by the damage to my helmet and the multiple broken bones accompanied by severe contusions...the emt crew spent 5-7 minutes (according to their report) bringing me back(it happend less than a tenth of a mile from their station)...the first thing the leader of the crew showed me was my still intact beanie helmet and let me know there was no doubt in her mind it saved my life...one look at the damage to it would convince anyone else of the same...

ive said it before and i will repeat myself for those who werent listening or dont believe it...placing anything between your head and an object that can damage your head is better than having nothing there at all...i can suggest a simple test to prove it but the last boy scout just didnt get it so i gave up...

i wouldnt ever tell someone what they should wear or judge them for not wearing anything...i still think about going lidless and have on a few occassions...but i will challenge anyone who believes there is no protection in a beanie helmet...it isnt going to give you the protection a dot or snell helmet will but youve got to believe its gonna make a difference if your head is heading for something hard and unforgiving...

by the way...the helicopter ride is pretty cool...but i wouldnt go out of my way to do it again...

its all fun and games till someone gets hurt...then its one of americas funniest hime videos...
tomv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

OhioGlider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Some "half helmets" are DOT approved. For the parts they cover, they will provide the same protection as any full helmet that merely meets DOT standards.

DOT standards are actually fairly worthless. Of course, SNELL doesn't help if a car runs over your head ( or any other of a thousand + scenarios) either, so who knows.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

radridd wants to know Dino or Syn?
They don't need helmets anyway. Those little fairings provide all the protection they need.
radridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbikerbill View Post

Bill
thats because my brains are located in my ass and i find the boxer briefs i wear provide all the protection i need along with plenty of long distance comfort...

its all fun and games till someone gets hurt...then its one of americas funniest hime videos...
Old 09-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

machinist wants to know Dino or Syn?
when I wear a helmet I wear my 3/4. I have 2 halfs. I HD and 1 carbon fiber. Cant get either one of those to stay in place. I've become convinced halfs are for bikes with windshields or you have a neck parachute.

but then again maybe my head is screwed up
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinist View Post
when I wear a helmet I wear my 3/4. I have 2 halfs. I HD and 1 carbon fiber. Cant get either one of those to stay in place. I've become convinced halfs are for bikes with windshields or you have a neck parachute.

but then again maybe my head is screwed up
mistake in many cases is buying a helmet that fits too loosely...get a little air under it and itll try to rip your head off your shoulders at speed...gotta fit snug around the noggin and down as low as possible...you dont even know its there when it fits well...

Old 09-15-2008, 12:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Buddy Seat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes I wear a lid. Of my collection of helmets:

My favorite is my 1950's "pudding bowl" style antique 1/2 racing helmet. Yes it does have a new DOT sticker on back too...
Advertisement