Best Place to Buy A Harley...?? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

WindRider67 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Best Place to Buy A Harley...??

Good Day All.
Yes I ride a Honda but please bare with me... I've been toying around with the idea of buying my first Harley. Now, a little background on me. I'm a very shrewd shopper. I've never been driven by fads or nameplates. I pick what I like and what is best for me. I usually try to beat dealers up pretty good when shopping for a car or bike. Face it, they want to make money, we want to save money. For instance My current bike is a Wing. It was stickered at 19,600. I got it OTD for 18K. Not bad. I do my homework and I get invoice, shipping cost data etc... I'm well armed. I'm just starting to do my homework on the the HD I'm considering and looking at Invoice vs MSRP.. wow.. HUGE delta. Havent looked at the 08' data but using an 07' Ultra as an example, Invoice for a Two Tone was 16,908 with an MSRP of 21,135. Yousa! Anyway there is lots of margin in the ol' HD lineup. There was less than 2k margin in the Wing.

Anyway this tells me a few things. 1. HD dealers do have plenty of room to play and still make good money on a unit. Especially when you consider the total cost of owership of an HD and inevitable accessories etc. 2. Demand tells them that they don't have to deal. 3. My usual approach to buying a machine will nto be as effective. I've had four bikes bikes over the last four years so I like to think I know how to get a good deal but this is a head scratcher..

I love the looks of the bikes. I rented one a year or two ago and did two 500 mile days. I'm not going to even begin to debate the positives and negatives between a Wing and an Ultra here. That's not what I'm here for.

What I'm looking for here, ( and I even paied for the premium membership) is to call upon the power of the forum to try and determine where I can truly get the most honest and best deal on a Harley.

I'm willing to travel to get it if I have to (within reason). I just don't like being looked at down someone's nose. If I have x amount of dollars to spend, it can either go to HD, or it can go somewhere else So I don't need the "I got what you want so I'm gonna treat you like your nuffin" approach. I am willing to set aside my soapbox and ride an HD with a genuine open mind but but I'm not gonna get the shaft to give up my shaft.). Not interested in trading. I'll sell the Wing outright when it comes to that. I truly appreciate the art of the Harley and the jaugernaut that the company has become. I gotta belive that there are still places to get a honest good deal.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

MW

Well, I see the responses have been varied and interesting. Looking at them collectively, they seem to bolster my posiiton. That being, that if your patient and take the time to look, there are decent deals to be had and decent dealerships to offer them. I'm still looking for somone who can recomend a spacific dealership that is known for consistant good deals and integrity. Not just an individual sale.

Thanks.

Last edited by WindRider67; 04-11-2008 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Additional comments...
WindRider67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

6.5kev wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought my Ultra back in 2001. I had to wait about 9 months for it. I had to pay just what they were asking. As I remember it was $1000 over MSRP plus the shipping or around $20100 as I remember. Don't know if things are different now. I've heard it's better now but I haven't seen an Ultra in stock around here lately.

I thought paying top dollar would at least buy me a little advantage when dealing with them in the future but that wasn't the case. When it broke down a couple years ago they told me it needed a whole new engine ($5000)but they would give me $4000 for it on a new one. That got back into bike mechanics after 20 years. Fixed it for $500 but that's another story.

That experience also caused me to buy a 2006 Wing. I bought it for $17500, about $2000 under MSRP. They are both great bikes. I trust the Wing more in really hot weather though.

Good luck on your H-D purchase. You might have to go into it with a different attitude than your used to.
6.5kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

SuperBogs wants to know Dino or Syn?
Try This

Take a look here. Don't know about hidden charges though.
http://www.harleyofpalmbeach.com/
SuperBogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

20538 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I go to this Dealer in Ottawa, Ohio from Michigan when I buy. they sell at MSRP, free freight, free set up, and no hidden charges. I'll be buying a 08 Street Glide there in about a month. Great people to deal with and service prices are low for a dealer as well.

http://www.benbreecehd.com/

tell em Brown sent ya, No commission just like them to know how many people I send there.

I read recently that Capital City HD in WI might be one of interest as well.

Good luck, ride safe and sober.
20538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
I haven't seen your bird.

MadCity is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally posted by brownjams
I read recently that Capital City HD in WI might be one of interest as well.
I bought my bike at Capital City right here in Mad Town. In fact, I was just out there this afternoon. They have a sign in the lobby stating that they will take $1K off any 2008 Sportster or $2K off any Big Twin (anniversary bikes and Screaming Eagle bikes excluded). The sign didn't say how long the offer extends. As for Capital City being a good place to buy a bike, I've seen what I considered good deals to be had there and some not-so-good deals, but they've always treated me fairly and they seem to be a pretty friendly bunch.

I also think the time of year that you're in the market also makes a difference, and I would think the beginning of the riding season in the Midwest might not be the most favorable time to buy. I bought my bike on November 1, 2003, and I got it for below MSRP in part because the dealer wanted the '03 models gone from the floor.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
EASY DOES IT

swmnkdinthervr wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you're willing to consider used try this website...if they don't have what you want you can ask if one is on their list to buy...you won't get better prices on the east coast, maybe anywhere...

My pics

'04 Springer Softtail, 98" Nikasil
swmnkdinthervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
In reality I think you need to forget about the way Car and Honda dealers deal. I have purchased many Honda's including 7 Goldwings and negotiated the price down but that is just not the case for HD... I will not say you may not find a new HD somewhere below MSRP but it is unlikely... I would go with the 2008 for MSRP...Add on your ABS and Security. You can negotiate freight, setup, extended warranty, Pre Paid Maintenance and as much discount as you can get for any accessories you purchase for your bike from that dealer.

I would be interested on how you got the invoice price on the 2007 Ultra?

I am on my second Ultra and I think you will enjoy the bike... What you will notice is the brotherhood, camaraderie and connection that you will have with other riders.

Good Luck..... let us know how it works out...

Doug
1L243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
la9
IronButt

la9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you are shrewd shopper and expecting a deal, you might as well stop wasting your time. You'll pay MSRP on touring bikes if not more. I was ready to lay down the money and asked everywhere for someone to show me where to get one under MSRP and no one could except for someone buying a firefighter, peace officer, shriner or military model.

I almost got in a fistfight with a salesman because of the way he started talking to me and yelling at me in front of my kid and everyone in the store, what did I ask ? I said word for word, "I will buy this bike for MSRP out the door right now" I walked away and it was probably the smart thing to do but was pretty hard. I am still PO'ed about it.

Think you'll find a deal on a used one ? Most people that own them shelled out the cash and they aren't budging much either.

Remember the company lowers production when their bikes don't sell as well.

While you will moan about laying out the cash, after it is all said and done, you will probably only lose about $2000 whenever you decide to sell it in the future. Compare that to any other bike and the resale can't be beat.

Remember just about any Harley resells over $10,000 go back and look for a 70's model, 80's, 90's and newer and you will see.

I just looked for 2 years and found what I wanted, it was a little more than I wanted to spend but it was what I wanted and I'm glad I did. It's my favorite bike I've had so far.

So if you are looking for a deal get it out of your head or go buy another Honda because on the Harley you have to pay the price.
la9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mike slater wants to know Dino or Syn?
bought o8 road glide last sat. for 1200 under msrp..no freight no setup...and 15% off parts for 2 years ...i thought it was a good deal
mike slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

airmann6 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike slater View Post
bought o8 road glide last sat. for 1200 under msrp..no freight no setup...and 15% off parts for 2 years ...i thought it was a good deal

Thats a very good deal , where was it ??
airmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Maxum96 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRider67 View Post
Havent looked at the 08' data but using an 07' Ultra as an example, Invoice for a Two Tone was 16,908 with an MSRP of 21,135. Yousa! Anyway there is lots of margin in the ol' HD lineup. There was less than 2k margin in the Wing.
MW

I agree with you on the margins on HD bikes. I bought a 2008 Ultra Peace Officer Special Edition. List price for my bike was $20,800. The dealer sold it to me for $17,900. While I did pay a $250 setup fee, I didn't pay any shipping or other fees. And you and I know that the dealer made money on my bike.

With that said. Good luck on finding a dealer willing to drop below MSRP. There are some out there, but it's usually just on a few select bikes. The problem is that HD's are very popular. High demand=higher price. On my 2004 Softail I refused to pay over MSRP. It took me a while to find a dealer that wasn't marking up the price when I bought it in late 2003. The bike market is depressed right now. So you might have an easier time than a few years ago.

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

LUBA wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Yeah I am also curious where you got it.
LUBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

towne and country ....in cement city,mi.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

also i got almost as good of deal at route 43 harley in sheboygan wisc.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

LUBA wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
towne and country ....in cement city,mi.
What color and options? I got a 08 vivid black SG with ABS, cruise, and security for MSRP + about $60.
LUBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement