Big Dog 117" vs HD 110" : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

highrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Big Dog 117" vs HD 110"

Anybody got any words of wisedom between the Big Dog 117" motor and HD 110" motor? Power comparison, reliability and such
Also anybody have any input on Big Dog's new " Mutt" model? I kinda like it, but it is more than a SE Dyna. Would like to test ride one though. Yeah right
highrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2008, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

skyhook wants to know Dino or Syn?
the H-D 110" has had a lot of problems with leaking head gaskets and cylinder liners slipping...I believe the big dog 117" is a more solid motor...I've got an '08 screamin' eagle dyna and I did $3k in motor upgrades to make it more reliable and powerful, but I think they are crap in stock form...the big dog can make a lot of power with some simple upgrades...probably less money than I spent on my motor
skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

bwana01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Big Dogs have S & S motors, but they still have the same EPA restrictions, in stock form, as H-D. That said, I think there is more potential with the S & S.

The real question is, which company will be in business in 2009?

jmho

check 6

Bwana01
bwana01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
BigMo

Mohead1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
110 HD Motor

I own an 07 FXDSE (SE Dyna) with the 110 motor. I have not babied this motor, nor have I purposely tried to break it. It is lacking in fuel management and cam/headwork to get the best power out of it. But I have had no problems with this combo whatsoever. I had it tuned with the SERT and put on better pipes and air cleaner/filter I know there have been some issues, that I believe has been due to lean mixtures and overheating. Using AMSOIL in all holes, I saw a large reduction of heat in the heads and jugs, especially the rear cylinder on my motor (using infra red heat gun). I did get worried about the crank runout, and pulled the cam chest cover off and checked it, it was .0012 which I thought acceptable. I know zero would be best, but whattaya gonna do, not gonna pull the cases apart for that little of runout. The bike could also use more gear, it is geared high, needs a lower toothed trans pulley or maybe change the compensator for better low end.

BigMo
Mohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

fj1200 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Big Dog 117 motor is basically a S&S 117 with some proprietary parts. The motor in stock form has quite a bit of power, but it could use carb rejetting, better air cleaner, new pipes to wake it up.

The Big Dog Mutt is a cross between parts from the Big Dog Chopper and the older 250 rear tire Mastiff. It uses the same engine as all of the other Big Dog line.

2006 Big Dog Mastiff, S&S 117, S&S 600 cam, Thunderheart ignition, Doherty PowerPacc, Supertrapp Supermeg, XXX carb
1992 Yamaha FJ1200 - stock engine, Uni filter pods, Dynojet stage 1 jet
2012 HD FLHXSE3, stock 110 engine, Rush Dual headers and HD Nightstick mufflers
fj1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Can't say about long term reliability on either. Both are choked by EPA restrictions though. You would probably be surprised by how little HP that 117 is making in stock form. Both engines are capable of producing some serious power given the right mods and tuning of course. S&S makes a good solid engine and i wouldn't hesistate to buy one. I had a Ridgeback with an S&S 107 and never had a problem with the engine.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
AXTELLERATOR

relxn88 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Dyno'ed a Big Dog 117" last year. It had 101hp/114tq. 100 ftlbs tq from 2400 rpm's thru 5200 rpms. Fun ride.
relxn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by relxn88 View Post
Dyno'ed a Big Dog 117" last year. It had 101hp/114tq. 100 ftlbs tq from 2400 rpm's thru 5200 rpms. Fun ride.
I surprised it's that much. Was this bike completely stock?
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
FNG :)

rbohno wants to know Dino or Syn?
just my .02

I traded my 2005 H-D Heritage softail in on a 2006 Mastiff w/117" and had the V/H Big radius pipes, air cleaner and rejetting. I have recently bought an '08 Street Glide with the 96".
I would ask myself a few questions: What kind of riding are you going to be doing? bar hopping or several hour rides

Performance......The difference between the performance of the 2 is like going from a mini-van to a ZO-6 Corvette(obviously the B/D).

Reliability......None of my Harleys have left me on the side of the road. I have over 5k miles on my Big Dog and it has left me stranded twice and been to the shop for recalls more than 5 times. I will say this that Big Dog has always taken care of all items NO Questions asked. They even reimbursed me for wrecker charges when stranded.
I am not a rich person but I had to buy another Harley to be able to go on some poker runs or rides on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. without worrying about making it home.
While my $35K+ Big Dog which is now worth about $20k due to the decline in custom bike market sits in the garage.

Bottom line........ Go with the Harley, you can make it as fast as you wallet will let you and have the reliability and COMFORT. Most H-D shops will warranty(at the shop level) any builds you want to do as long as you get them done at the time of purchase.

Thats enough of my midnight ramble

RB
rbohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
FLHTCUSE

VAZHOG wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you want to be a "Real" Harley owner get the 110 from HD and re-live yester year (AMF) style.
VAZHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
--Doof 43--

Serg06 wants to know Dino or Syn?
S&S Rules! Trust me when i say that. The power is sick!

Serg

06 Street Glide (Sheala) 124" S&S
Super sucker A/C
True Duals.

THE SCORE:

Asphalt=1
Me=0
Serg06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

CapeCodUltra wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a guy I ride with all the time here in Mass who had a stunning 07 Big Dog chopper. He has severe transmission issues from day one and it was repeatedly in the shop. He tried to return it uder our "Lemon law" and the dealer fought him. He got a lawyer and ultimately got every single cent back he paid. He now rides an 07" Road King custom and hasn't has a single issue. I know every manufacturer has a bad day but... Let the buyer beware.
RJ

******** '08 Ultra ********

Crimson Red Sunglo / Candy Red Sunglo
Non-Amplified Antenna Inside fairing
Nostalgic style HD footboards and shifters
RUSH Slash down Slip-ons with 1.75 baffles
Kuryakyn Smoked Heat Shields
Quick Disconnect kit on lowers
XIED's
Wheeldock Center Stand
George's Tour Pac Relocator
Progressive Tour Link Stabilizer