FLHT vs FLHTC vs FLHTCU : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Keep the rubber side down

nixdad wants to know Dino or Syn?
FLHT vs FLHTC vs FLHTCU

I'm contemplating getting a toruing bike. I need help from the ownwers of the above listed rides.

Qouestion is, now that you've had your bikes for sometime, do you wish you had gotten a different model. For instance, you own an FLHT and now wished for a FLHTC or FLHTCU. Also, for those who have the FLHTCU, are there things you don't use and could you have bought an FLHT or FLHTC instead?

There's things I like on all bikes, but not sure I'd use everything. Hell, I just might decide to get a Streetglide.
Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner
nixdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

OldMsocko wants to know where he is and how he got here
I have the Ultra and use everything. I couldn't be happier.
OldMsocko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Depends what features you want, cruise,lowers, tour pak.

Personally I think FLHX are a waste of money. Buy a FLHT take off what you don't want and put better then stock on for the rest. But a better stereo, better speakers, better shocks, ect. Now you got a better bike and something differant.

I like the look of no light bar, but would never take it off, puts out way to much light.

Also as far detachable tourpaks, I got bike with fixed and one with detach. I prefer fixed. Its quiter, and doesn't move as much. Plus I rarely take it off. Why give up space? If its empty its not going to hurt having it on.

The other thing, I really like cruise, which can be added to any model.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have an FLHTC. The primary reason I didn't buy a FLHT, is that the covers are not chromed. They look like crap after a short time, and it's not cheap to upgrade them. Plus, I got the radio I would have added anyway. Made the tour pak detachable, so it can look like an FLHT.

With Ultra, didn't need a CB, nor the fairing lowers.

ChopperDude
ChopperDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Milemarker 0

YorkHogRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've been riding my FLHTC for 15 years now. I always thought the Ultra was my next bike but kept finding myself going back to Classic. That being said I am really liking the 2008 Ultra in two tone red sitting in the dealer's showroom right now. Obviously a demo ride won't give you the long term info. to help you decide, but a test ride on each might help. Then again you could just get one of each and ride the one that reflects your mood on that particular day........... Oh well, just a thought.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

03 Roadking wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've had an Ultra and a ULtraSE, first one the wife and I used the intercom at first and slowly got away from using it. Never used the CB all that much, if you ride alot with someone that also has a CB they can be great to communicate with. Currently I have an FLHX couldnt be happier. Yea I've added lowers, a detachable chopped tour pak and cruise.

USAF Retired
03 Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
killer sperm

Milehog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Like many other riders my bikes kept getting progressively more comfortable. I decided, screw incrementalism, get the Ultra. At first I felt a little sheepish, thinking it might be over the top. Not so. If I replace it it'll be with another Ultra.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

EricEdelman wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you do a lot of miles, it's hard to beat an Ultra.

I have a 2006 FLHTCUI with 27,000 on it now.
The intercom and cruise control are great. I love all the electronics. Tour pack is hard to beat for long trips, plus I have the luggage rack and a T-Bag trunk that sits on the luggage rack. 4 speakers is great too.
Only think I don't use is the CB and the CD player (I have XM radio on mine).

Only downside is that once you pack for a trip, the bike can get heavy. If you're buying a new bike, definitely consider a big bore kit, cam, etc....
2008 Buell 1125R
2007 Honda Rebel (Wife's Training Bike)
EricEdelman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

HD05CLASSIC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ultra all the way. I could not be happier. Great for touring,plenty of space to store things. You get the most for your buck.
HD05CLASSIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

04ctd wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker
Personally I think FLHX are a waste of money. Buy a FLHT take off what you don't want and put better then stock on for the rest. But a better stereo, better speakers, better shocks, ect. Now you got a better bike and something differant.

I like the look of no light bar, but would never take it off, puts out way to much light.
this is what the local dealership sales guys say too.

a FLHX is a premium bike now, for some reason. get a better deal on a classic.

after riding with a light bar across country, i would be hard pressed to ride a bike without one. it's hard to believe how much difference a light bar makes.

the tour pak is gonna be indispensable, at some point in your riding.

just buy the ultra, take off what you want, put it in the attic,
and ride it.

take off the engine guard, put on a set of Street Glide hard bag bars, and it will look pretty good.
04ctd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

03GLIDE_ wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the FLHTC with 53,000 miles on the clock. I ride it most everyday unless I have to haul somthing big. I love it. I didn't want the Ultra and the Standard was just too stripped. I have no need for the CB or cruise or the lowers. I did pull the stock stereo out and sold it on E-bay. This funded the biketronics kit with a nice Sony MP3/Cd unit that works 3 times as good as the stocker. The wife and I take all our vacations on the bike and love being able to pack a weeks worth of clean clothes. I like the looks of the FLHX but being lowered they just don't have the plush ride that I have grown to love. I also need all the lights I can get out on the open road.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

toybox99615 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Flhtpi

Another option is a police bike. THe 2007 come stock with a 103 CI engine.

I have two police bikes FLHTPI a 99 and an 03. I prefer the police bike for a couple of reasons. First I just like the way the police hard bags open; second I do not like the Harley tour pack. I use a GIVI detachable bag for a tour pack. At least I can pack the who thing into the motel at night rather than unpacking part of it. Then when I'm not touring I only have a detachable luggage rack. Of all the touring bike manufacturers I believe Harley is the only one left whose hard bags are not designed to simply take into the motel as a part of the bag design.

I've toured with an ULTRA and the cruise control is nice feature if you are on the Interstate and useless on twisties in New Zealand or the hundred of stop lights you hit on US 30.

What is missing most on the touring bikes is a Garmin Zumo GPS. Nice to have when you are traveling through big cities and have no idea of where you are in comparison to a motel you have booked.

Truthfully it all comes down to what you like and how much you need the extra stuff. I find the radios useless on the road as every station fades away when you get 50 miles out of town. While I've ridden and toured with the Ultra and the CD player I got just as bored playing the same CD on the bike as in my car.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I owned a 05 FLHTC for just shy of a year and almost 10k miles and traded it for my 06 FLHTCU which I still own and won't consider getting rid of. The FLHTCU has everything I wanted which the FLHTC didn't have such as cruise, CB and Intercom and I use all three. I did think about the FLHT for a fleeting moment until I came to my senses and relized it didn't do what i wanted and the raw aluminum engine covers just turned me off. You should sit down and have a beer while you ponder what you expect from the bike. If you want more of what the FLHTCU has then thats the bike. I would however not go any less than the FLHTC, especialy if you think your going to want a tour-pak and a radio. If you buy the FLHT and add a tour pack and radio your not going to get any return on the dollars spent on those items if you would sell or trade because the bike is still only a FLHT.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 08:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

04ctd wants to know Dino or Syn?
here's some pics, i posted them in the "barless" thread,

you can take AWAY stuff to make your bike like you want it.

i will get a full fairing next time, I am in the process of hacking the OEM RK fairing into something, (maybe just peices....)

04ctd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

R1Geezrglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had an 02 FLHT. I was ready to pull the trigger on a new (07) ultra but couln't reconcile paying 22+ large and then have to pay another 1500 for the pipe, a/c, sert, dyno, etc to deal with the heat. ( l live in Texas ). Perusing e-bay, I found an 05 FLHT, carbed, 95", cams, true dual, air ride suspension (aftermarket),and much other custom stuff that it is too much to list. All this for less than MSRP for a new FLHT. Bought it!! The suspension is far better than stock, the motor is a pure arm stretcher, and the look is like no other. Now, I will be adding a tour-pak, lowers, and maybe cruise. I do not have a radio-don't want one. I rode an Ultra 2k miles and only played the radio for the first 500. Frankly, when you're cruising at 75-80, the wind noise pretty much kills the sound. If you want music, get an mp3 player and some good ear buds. J&M has some really good audio components that are MUCH cheaper than the factory units. So, what am I saying? Start out by deciding what items you really want, that you are really going to use. For what I paid for this bike, I can add all the other stuff that I want/need and still be way ahead. Finding a really good used 'deal' takes patience. The other option is get the Ultra, and remove/change what you want.
R1Geezrglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.