Bike shuts off while riding : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Prototype413 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Bike shuts off while riding

Anyone have an idea of what could be causing my 2007 Road King to shut-off in the middle of a ride? I will be taking it to the dealer in a few days, but just wanted to know if anyone here can shed some light on this. Thanks.

p.s. It re-starts either moving or stopped and the bike seems to completely shut
off all electronics as well.
Prototype413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
FNG :)

jkpnailer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Try the 30amp relay.It is about $7.00
jkpnailer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
There ain't no 30 amp relay on an 07 bike.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ltrglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype413
Anyone have an idea of what could be causing my 2007 Road King to shut-off in the middle of a ride? I will be taking it to the dealer in a few days, but just wanted to know if anyone here can shed some light on this. Thanks.

p.s. It re-starts either moving or stopped and the bike seems to completely shut
I'll be damn. Mine does the same thing occasionally. Just shuts down and then restarts right away. I was gonna mention it at the next service. seems to do it after about 30 minutes of ride time and then after shutting down 2 or 3 times it runs fine. Let me know what you find.
ltrglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

47Norton wants to know Dino or Syn?
My RK would shut off after hitting a bump now and then. Finally tracked it down to the ON/Off switch. Not sure if that's your problem but it could be a place to look. I guess for me a certain sharp bump was turning the switch to the off position.
47Norton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

dogtownmax wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

make sure your battery is connected securely to the cables.

intermittent loss of connection to the battery would explain total electronics blackout, and would explain why it restarts immediately.
dogtownmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

sblair wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have heard of this at my dealer and it was a terminal lug toground. The factory one sucks. Replaced with a Radio shack one and issue went away. Just Sayin....
sblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

kbflash44 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Having the same problem with a friends 98 ultra it's in the shop now. Will post what the problem was as soon as I can.
kbflash44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

hogbro48 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a 01 heritage that did that and it was the "main breaker".
hogbro48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

dogtownmax wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

i knew someone who had a battery problem with his bike, and he decided that since the bike was brand new, and under warrenty, he wasnt even going to look at the problem, and just let the dealer take care of it. turned out the toolkit bag under the seat had opened and one of the tools fell into the battery area and was shorting the battery to the frame. if he had even taken the most cursory effort of popping the seat off the bike he would have seen the problem.

so just out of curiosity, are you even going to look at any of the things that were suggested here, or just have the dealership haul the bike off and check it out while you drive the pickup truck everyday?
dogtownmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

Rick77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
When I picked up my 07 Softail Standard after the 1000 mile service they told me they changed the battery cable because there was a recall from Harley. That might be the problem.
Rick
Rick77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

hoghvn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

Just a thought -

I noticed that the manual says the smart security system signal from the keyfob can be cut of by celphone interference, etc. Just wondering if that could cause the bike to shut down?

Long shot, I know, but .....stuff happens.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

animalal88 wants to know Dino or Syn?
One possible easy solution to random shut down, lights going out and other weird stuff is to run a new ground from frame to trees to handle bars and lastly to engine. Harley has had issues with ground cables. Check existing cable/wiring if you wish, but I really suggest adding a new ground.
animalal88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

dtroll wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype413 View Post
Anyone have an idea of what could be causing my 2007 Road King to shut-off in the middle of a ride?
Maybe a powerful geomagnetic solar flare?
dtroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

sjason597 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalal88 View Post
One possible easy solution to random shut down, lights going out and other weird stuff is to run a new ground from frame to trees to handle bars and lastly to engine. Harley has had issues with ground cables. Check existing cable/wiring if you wish, but I really suggest adding a new ground.
Dude you do realize you're talking to somebody 3 1/2 years in the past don't you?
sjason597 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.