frame repair : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > V-Rod Engine
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2003, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

demar wants to know Dino or Syn?
frame repair

Well, it happen. I laid it down.

The only major problem that I can see is that the weld for the left foot peg cracked. The other things are mainly cosmetic; i.e. clutch control grip, left handle bar grip, shifter peg and left rear shock. Nothing else seems wrong and runs fine.

My Questions: How hard is it to weld the aluminum frame and has anyone changed the factory shocks? if so, does anyone have one laying around that the would like to sell?

PS should I take it to the dealer because voiding the warranty?
demar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2003, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
EvilMonger

Thealien is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I hope you are okay, sorry I can't answer your questions.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2003, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Polizzio wants to know Dino or Syn?
Demar,

Frame is mild steel, not aluminum. Any good/certified welder should be able to repair peg mount for you.

Old 04-19-2003, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Polizzio wants to know Dino or Syn?
Demar,

I should have added a bit more information. Your options, you can take it to your dealership and have them make the repairs. You could file an insurance claim to pay for the majority of it. Filing a claim may have an impact on your insurance rates down the road, but hell, i guess thats why we pay premiums, have insurance. Or if your pretty good with tools and its mostly cosmetic stuff, you can replace the damaged, scratched items yourself. The section of frame where left peg is located can be removed, unbolted from the bike fortunately, its one of the sections removed for engine drop/replacement. Then peg mount fracture can be rewelded, and you'll have to repaint it or spot paint it after some prep. DO NOT WELD anything while attached to the bike, welding current just might screw up electronic modules or sensors on bike, like ECM, TSSM, ect. As far as warranty impact doing repairs yourself, I cannot answer that. I would think if you can repair it as it was before, they will never know otherwise. But if you lack the skill or confidence to do so, perhaps you might just be better off having your HD dealership do the repairs. We are talking about your $17,000+ VROD here, might just bite the bullet and let them make the repairs. Sorry to hear of your misfortune, glad your ok.

Last edited by Polizzio; 04-19-2003 at 02:05 PM.
Polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2003, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the concern about my well being, I'm ok except for some small brush burns and my pride. I was very lucky. However, you know your ok, when as soon as you hit the ground that you jump back to your feet to see how the bike is.

And thanks for the info about the frame, I was not planning on doing the welding myself, but I knew I could get it done cheaper by an independent welder than by the dealer at thier labor costs. I will take a look at the frame and see how to remove that section.

\
Thanks again
Old 04-19-2003, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

larry1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
demar

Did you go down somewhere around Curry Rd?
A Pleasant Hills policeman I know saw me at the Foodland and asked if I was the V-Rod that went down.
Hope thing work out>

Larry
larry1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2003, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

MonsterMaxx wants to know Dino or Syn?
You can weld on electronic machines, IF you dissconnect the battery first.

There's even a special gizmo on the market that you connect to the battery and you don't need to dissconnect the batt.

Though with that section of the frame being removeable, AND that you will need to paint it...might as well take it off.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

tbag809 wants to know Dino or Syn?
demar,

That piece of the frame costs $120.00. Your better off replacing it as I did when I dropped mine. I cracked the same weld as you.
tbag809 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2003, 12:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Jiggy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Frame replace

I don't know if it's true on the V-Rod, but normally a frame is not just welded together - but is very specifically held in a jig under tension when it is welded.
Ever seen a half-assed chopper that tracks down the road sorta sideways? One cause is that a guy who knows how to weld put it together in his basement.
I think going to anyone that doesn't specifically know motorcycle frames may be a mistake in safety and performance.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2003, 07:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Jiggy,

Thanks for the negative input. No offense, but I was not going to have someone weld a whole frame together. I was simply going to have someone fix a cracked weld on a foot peg. I think most of the readers realized that.

the main reason for this forum is for the exchange of info. I appreciate everyones posts and find them very informative. But, I really don't like the insinuation that I am some smuck in a basement with my craftsman welder messing up a 20,000 dollar bike. I may not work on harleys everyday, but I have been working on cars, trucks, motorcycles, and atv's all my life. So, I think I could evaluate the difference between a major component needing the expertise of a professional and a simple cracked weld.

PS Because of the info I obtained from this site, I found out that a mere 120.00 bucks fixes it like new. So Jiggy, thanks again for your very informative, "sorta sideeays" post.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Jiggy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Whoa

Sorry dude,
Didn't mean to imply you were an idiot or anything. I read something about "welding on a frame" and I merely gave some input.
Speaking as a fool that does get in too deep on a project in my basement I thought I'd share a thought that might save you some big trouble.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

boernhord wants to know Dino or Syn?
I share pretty much the same experience as you guys ... :-(

I am on fixing my Night Rod right now. Also replacing the frame section because the peg is bent.

What's not clear to me is the mounting for the engine to that frame section. It looks like it is adjustable. Is that the case? And if so what kind of adjustment is it?
boernhord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

1949shoebox wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Dealer Wont Do Your Repairs To The Frame They Will Replace The Frame And You Will Then Own A"special Construction" Worth Crap And Lose Your Warranty. My Advice Is Strip It Down And Have The Part Welded And Repaint Frame Or Switch To Forward Controls
1949shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

JayDRod wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mild steel is the easiest to weld usign a MIG or TIG welder. You just got to get all the powder coat off around the crack grind out the crack into a "V" so that you can fill it with fresh weld. A pro should do that though... not a newbie welder. It isn't a big job. You can even grind the weld to be smooth with the frame so that when it is painted it cannot be seen.
Murdered VRSCDXA '08 1250cc, K&N Airflilter, modified V&H SS-Destroyer 2-1 Slipon w/NASCAR Thermal mgmt, Ricor(r) IAS shocks, Mobil1 Synth.VTwin 20w50 Oil, HD10u Syn-Media filter. Spark by NGK Iridium IX DCPR8EIX
JayDRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #15 (permalink)

ElrodontheV-Rod wants to know Dino or Syn?
The frame rails are meant to break at the welds when the bike is layed over on them.It's sorta lke the crumle zones on an automobile,only on the V-Rod,the frame rail crumples to save replacing the whole frame.New frame rails are sold already color matched for each individual model.
ElrodontheV-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.