Leak from rear valve cover. : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > V-Rod Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2002, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

V-Rod-Buell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Leak from rear valve cover.

Am I the only one having this problem? Just made my third trip in for new rear cover gaskets at 2200 miles. Last time they even replaced the cover and it seems to stay sealed for about 200 miles then slowly starts to leak again at the left rear corner until I have a small river of oil blowing back. Will get so bad it blows back onto the fuel shield. Anyone else with this leak I would be interested in repairs made and if your leak was cured.
V-Rod-Buell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2002, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
JMS
IronButt

JMS wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mine seeps ever so slightly from the same place and both head gaskets, directly below the exhaust ports. You can just notice it after about 200 miles between cleaning, a thin film of dust-oil.

JMS
Old 10-06-2002, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

V-RēD wants to know Dino or Syn?
JMS

I would like to call mine seeps but some environmental people have been following me around and I think they make them do toxic clean up every place I park. I love the bike but I'm going to have to call it the Valdez.
V-RēD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
JMS
IronButt

V-RēD, make 'em fix it. If they cannot fix it, envoke the lemon law.

JMS
Old 10-07-2002, 07:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

vette family wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the problem at 2500 miles the dealer fixed it and 5000 miles later it hasn't returned, knock on wood
vette family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

VRodDrew wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool Seep and ye shall find...

Yeah.. I've got a tiny bit of seepage coming out of the back of the left rear valve cover. I'd have to say that this looks like a common problem among V-Rod owners. The question is - what to do about it?

Sure - the easy answer is to take it back to the dealership and have them pull off the top of the engine and put new valve cover gaskets in. But in my case, the amount of oil coming out of there is so miniscule that it makes me wonder if its worth it. I'd have to say that it amounts to about one drop every two hundred miles or so - its not like its going to cause me a problem with low oil pressure. And cleaning it up can be accomplished with the folded corner of a paper shop towel. More importantly - I question whether putting new valve cover gaskets in there is going to solve the "problem". I suspect that the condition occurs because when the bike is on the jiffystand the rear left corner is the lowest point and oil that has been flying around in the valve cover tends to collect there as the bike cools. Throw in a little movement in the metal bits as the valve covers and the cylinder heads contract (at different rates, no less) and I'd guess there is just enough of a gap for the odd molecule of hot lubricant to work its way between the gasket material and the cylinder head.

I took a two-hundred mile road trip this past Saturday and I made a point of checking this when I filled up with gas at 100 miles and when I got back home. No oil was leaking with the bike running at 65-70 mph steadily for 90 minutes. But when I checked the bike on Sunday morning after sitting in the garage overnight there was just the tiniest trace back there.

I'm going to keep an eye on this condition. If it gets worse I might do something about it before the warranty is up (I've got 9 months still to go); but for now I think the risks involved in having them pull all the lines and wires off the top end, plus drop the motor in the frame so they can remove the valve cover outweigh the potential benefit of fixing an extremely minor inconvenience. Plus, theres only a few more weeks of good riding weather left here in Wisconsin, and I don't want to have the bike sitting in the shop for a couple of days.
VRodDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

V-ROD 1 FL wants to know Dino or Syn?
For what its worth, I took delivery on my VROD in mid Decmeber and have about 3,00 miles on it. I haven't seen any trace of this problem--yet.

After I first saw this issue on another site, I asked my HD mechanic friend who has been HD "wrenching" for 30 plus years what the cause solution could be. He suggested that the chrome on the valve cover was possible high/thick at that particular point. He suggested that the cover be "sanded" on a piece of glass to reduce the high spot but no break the chrome finish. It may not work in every case but.....

Regards.
V-ROD 1 FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
JMS
IronButt

VRodDrew, you do not have to drop the motor to do any top end work, replacing the gasket on the valve cover is not that big of a deal.

JMS
Old 10-08-2002, 01:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Fugly wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had the same problem from the start with mine, except it was the left front. It didn't seep when running just after parking on sidestand. When I took it in to the dealer for 1000 mile service they were going to change the gasket, but after pulling the cover they wanted to change the cover also. They said that after examing it, it looked like the cover had a rough spot on the underside. Rather than changing just the gasket and having the same problem, I let them keep the bike a couple extra days and change it all out.

Over 2200 miles now and no leaks.
Fugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 02:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

vrodtom wants to know Dino or Syn?
oil leak

Had the rear gasket leak at 4500 miles. Dealer fixed it and so far so good, 9k miles and running stronger than ever!
ride safe
vrodtom
vrodtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

V-RēD wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for all the input guys. From what I read here it does seem to be a problem, maybe small but at least I'm not the only one with this leak. Mine has just yet to be cured.
V-RēD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement