Valve noise? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > V-Rod Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2003, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Menace wants to know Dino or Syn?
Valve noise?

I'm mechanically challenged, so I really have no idea what this could be, but I thought I would throw the question out on here before going throught the hassle of de-vmodding my bike to bring it in to the dealer.

2003 V-Rod, 450miles, vmods, PCIII, and doing what the breakin period says to do.

Theres a noise coming from the engine that seems to get louder when the bike gets hotter. It's a sound that, when cruising at low speeds, is heard pretty clearly over the pipes. Sounds like valves I guess, but just wondering if its normal or if I need this thing looked at and fixed.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2003, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Max
IronButt

Max wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have noticed that the v-rod engine does tend to produce it's fair share of valve train noise on both of my v-rods. And yes it is much louder when warmed up fully. But if your in any kind of doubt I suggest you take it to the dealer for them to hear the noise.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperSteve wants to know Dino or Syn?
Menace: Are you running topless?
ChopperSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ksa v-rod wants to know Dino or Syn?
3500 miles, haven't noticed any valve noise

steve
ksa v-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Topless?
Old 07-29-2003, 07:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

VRodDrew wants to know Dino or Syn?
Topless refers to removing the top of the air cleaner box that covers the velocity stacks. Some members of the forum have reported that doing so will boost their dyno times.

As far as valve noise is concerned, the V-Rod definitely does produce a little valve-train "rustle" when it gets into the middle part of its rev. range. Many of the reviews I've read on the V-Rod mentioned this, so I was not concerned when I first encountered it.
VRodDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

mjw930 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Without the airbox top
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Ahhh. No. I've got my top on.

The noise doesnt really sound like anything is broken, it's just kind of annoying to be able to hear the engine over the exhaust. I have a friend with a Honda VTX who said that after his initial tune up, the same, or similar noise he had, went away. Is there something that is done at tune up time to remedy valve noise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement