V-Twin Forum banner

Umbrella valve replacement

15K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  ViennaHog 
#1 ·
I have new umbrlla valves and was going to replace the old while I have the top end apart. It looks like the breather module should split in two pieces but after failing to get one of 'em apart by prying it witha blade, perhaps not.

Are these sealed units so f the valve goes bad the whole module is replaced?

THe valves are in the HD top end gasket kit so I figured they could be replaced.

Thanks in advnace,

Joe

#2 ·
Joe,
If tou have the black plastic breather assemblies like I did, you have to carefully pry the "lid" off the breather. I had to use 2 jewelers screwdrivers to get mine apart. (Patience is key), so as not to destroy the sealing rings while dis-assembling them. The top plate seals with a very fine raised ring that fits into the top cap upon reassembly. I tried to consider/fit the gaskets provided in the "Jims" kit that I bought, and they didn't work with these types of breathers. My factory original gaskets were in excellent shape @ 9,400 miles so I simply replaced the umbrella seals and the oil wicking/breather material, replaced the large O-ring and re-installed them. Everything went back together fine.
DLR

#3 ·
If I remember right I had a little trouble getting the breathers apart on my bike If they are the metal ones they will pry apart. If you have the plastic ones you should replace the whole thing. They have had a lot of trouble with them. I think you can get both the new breather assemblies for about $14.

#5 ·
In a genuine H-D gasket set, there are usually two sets of breather parts. One is the gaskets and the umbrella valves along with the oil trap fiber to be used with the aluminum rebuildable breathers. The kit should also have the one piece plastic breathers as a unit for those that have that. If you do not want to use the plastic, you would need to find someone who has a set of take-out metal ones to use.

#6 ·
What would the "Expert" advice be here? I reassembled my plastic ones just like they came apart, and re-installed and torqued to spec. I even light checked them for gaps/leaks prior to re-installation, and everything looked as good as when they came off. Up until the time of dis-assembly, I never had any oil/mist at the air filter. Would it be safe to assume that they should be safe to reuse? I'm all back together, with rocker boxes and tank installed. I feel fairly confident they should be ok, unless someone knows other wise and I would hate to tear it back down just to change them to the aluminum ones for piece of mind.

Thoughts/advice??

Thanks....DLR

#8 ·
pa-glazier said:
If you're not having a problem leave them in. Harley started the twin cam with the metal breathers, switched to the plastic and then back to the metal after having some problems.
PA,
Thanks for the reassurance. I can understand the plastic variety being problem prone after seeing how they're made/assembled. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones....:brows:
Thanks,
DLR

#9 ·
DLRVelocity1 said:
PA,
Thanks for the reassurance. I can understand the plastic variety being problem prone after seeing how they're made/assembled. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones....:brows:
Thanks,
DLR

DLR, I am sure you'll find a reason to go back in sometime in the near future. Pony up a few bucks for the metal assembly style and have them handy.
:thumbsup:

#12 ·
pa-glazier said:
Joe,
Part# 17650-02 at Zannotti's $7.75 + shipping. I paid $9.95 at my local dealer (found my receipt). It might be cheaper to get it local and avoid the shipping charge. I believe the kit came with 2 breather assemblies umbrella valves and filters.
Thanks for the updated part #. My 2003 parts book showed the one I mentioned.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.