Whats the best 2 into 1 pipe for upperend power? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam Engine
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2017, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

TIMINATOR wants to know Dino or Syn?
Whats the best 2 into 1 pipe for upperend power?

2005 CVO Fatboy: 110 kit, ported 2005 CVO heads w/1.94 valves 54mm TB, 1.75 intake runners, 10.83 compression hemi heads, forged pistons, 257 cam (252/260 .569 lift), has modified V&H Pro pipe 2 into 1s, low restriction a/c. Currently makes 127 rwhp @ 5700 rpm and stays flat till 6200 rpm. I'm looking for a higher peak HP, perhaps climbing from that 5700 point. I'm thinking that the V&Hs with their 1 5/8" primaries are the problem. Every time I mod the muffler section the HP climbs some(I have a flow bench). Anyone replace V&Hs with Fatcats (3 step primaries) and have dyno sheets? I have plenty of bottom end and midrange now and less bottom end would make it hook up better anyway... I am also running a T-Max auto tuner, so I can make hardware changes as often as I do without dyno trips. I will change probably to a 256/256 cam with something like .620 lift after I figure out the pipes too. TIMINATOR

Modesty is a crutch for the incompetent!
TIMINATOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

autoworker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wegner Motorsports has made some large primary 2 into 1 exhaust systems.I think that they only make them to order now.I would call them and ask.
257 is a great cam.I have an Andrews 67 in a 114.It is virtually the same cam with the only difference being 1 degree on the exhaust opening and closing timing.I would say that your cam is pretty much done by 5700 rpm.

Last edited by autoworker; 01-22-2017 at 07:51 AM.
autoworker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Do you have dyno sheet on your build? What exhaust also? I have done a ton of research on 5 boards as to exhausts, but almost all results are bagger guys looking for bottom end and midrange, I'm not. What is the usable (happy) RPM band with your cam? I had to front cut my exhaust valves for the 257 to work without the valves hitting too. I was thinking to go to a Woods 256/256 .6 something lift for more top end, but don't want to buy an unusable cam if the valves hit. Bobby says buy it and see, other cam companies say to widen the lobe separation so they "probably" won't hit. I was hoping someone has done this so I don't have to buy a lot of unusable stuff. Timinator

Old 01-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Don Dorfman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Is there a Best?
Good pipe, good cam??
How about good combination of parts?
Its a softail and I would be looking at a Rush 2 into 1
What you see in somebody's dyno sheet are not exactly what you can expect from yours unless the build and porting is identical. Even then the variance in inertia dynos and the techniques used to run and calibrate them is all over the map. Compare your dyno to the one after the pipe change and a retune on the same dyno at close to the same weather conditions for a good indication of the incremental gain.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

hdrider82 wants to know Dino or Syn?
After being on 5 different boards you should know that it is all relative to what that person is doing. Best pipes,,, Best cams. That's a hand full. As autoworker said Wagner makes some fine pipes. If you call them they will make a kit for you so you can cut them the way you want. Don likes Rush in your case. Me,,, I'll stick with my Fatcat's. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum!

ALBERT EINSTEIN

2003 fxstsi
117"
Stuff
Stuff
More stuff
Built by me

Last edited by hdrider82; 01-22-2017 at 11:00 AM.
hdrider82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Don Dorfman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just was throwing darts. The FatCat is fine so is Rinehart 2/1 as long as the bike doesn't have bags. But Best? No, just a group of pipes that collectively produce more power and an acceptable torque curve on a broad base of builds.
Personally I don't care for stainless as a material of choice, mild steel is so much more durable and doesn't crack as easily. I also like to have full heat shields. Fit and finish does need to be parts of a pipe choice too.
So the cam..
If the heads actually continue to have added flow after .6 then give the motor some camshaft and raise the compression.
Lots come to mind but all are in the .635 lift range and 255 duration. Characteristics of the heads flow curve will dictate which cam is better, particularly the LSA and LC of the grinds.

Last edited by Don Dorfman; 01-22-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Don Dorfman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 03:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
The great camel toe escap

1fast2liter wants to know Dino or Syn?
19203943557 ask for casey decent guy. Not my bike but one style he makes ill post another also
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140715_160845_1485162601576.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	217249   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150223_080835_1485162643088.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	217257  
1fast2liter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

WILLIS3251 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've had good performance w/the BASSANI B-1 2-1 pipes - according to Bassani - pipe was developed to support big bore (110 cu+)motors. I'm running the 110 bolt-on stage V kit, I substituted a set of 584 Rocket cams (Crane - Chris Rivas series) for the S.E. 259E emission certified cams. (lift: 0.584; dur: 252 @ 0.050,) big improvement!! Runs cooler too! Static Compr ratio is around 10.9:1 (0.030" HG w/ 83cc CNC heads) lots of juice on my little softail.
I was running a Magnaflow 2:1 and wasn't getting good mid-torque. the B-1 made a big difference. check out the Rivas web page - he has posted dyno runs from some of his builds (inc 110's) with several cams with and w/o the B-1 header. He has a 110 stroker w/a S&S 585 cams set w/ported heads, like your bike, etc - dyno'd 125 lbft and 133 HP.
if you look at the curve - the HP jumps at 5,000 RPM - take a look - food for thought.
WILLIS3251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thanks guys, I'll take it all under advisement and keep looking! TIMINATOR

Old 01-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

tall terry is reading this now saying WTF is this? tall terry is reading this now saying WTF is this?
There is no best pipe. I believe your cams are the major issue with what you have. And what you want. Changing the cams may require some head work.. your engine is solid and runs well... but to get up to say 6500 rpm, a pipe isn't going to do it...as I've said the cams are a problem, the heads may be an issue, and I believe the induction module is too small...
tall terry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this? cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this?
i've had good luck with these guys http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/
Old 01-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

twood71 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Terry makes sense to me on the subject.

But if you still are looking anyways I've been following Big Squeeks and will purchase a 2/1 from them. They just don't create for sound, he does test as well.

Because if you give Me Strength,

I'm gonna need bail money to go with it

2005 FLHRCI
Brand New Air in tires, spared no Expense
47,000mls
twood71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this? cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by twood71 View Post
Terry makes sense to me on the subject.

But if you still are looking anyways I've been following Big Squeeks and will purchase a 2/1 from them. They just don't create for sound, he does test as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAUEr7HyAQA
Ok....I know it's always me putting the poo poo on stuff BUT the pipe sits at least 2-3"s below the stock exhaust hanger and he says "it won't drag".....BS.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
Ok....I know it's always me putting the poo poo on stuff BUT the pipe sits at least 2-3"s below the stock exhaust hanger and he says "it won't drag".....BS.
Man, if poopoo's needed, poopoo's needed. Truth is better.

joe
Inventor of the FXR Cult Secret Decoder Ring
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Missing Link Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

85thFXRiden wants to know Dino or Syn?
Royal t racing. Some hand made greatness. All tig welded one by one. Small shop, great products.
#47 of 850

" Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity. "
85thFXRiden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.