V-Twin Forum banner

possible engine swap

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Mother 
#1 ·
I presently have a 2011 FLHX 103 and a 2007 FXSTC 96 TC. I am entertaining the idea of swapping engines between these scoots this winter but not sure if engines will bolt directly to different frames and 6 sp trannys, anybody have any experience with this or relavent thoughts on such a project. Thanx n advance.

#2 ·
It's certainly not just an easy matter of pulling them and switching them. Different mounting methods between softail and touring bike for sure. Not even sure if someone makes adapter kit or anything. Would have to think so though.

#3 ·
So you want to put a non balanced FLH engine (normally rubber mounted) into a hard mounted softail frame?

Why?

(I am responding with the hope that I am not being "trolled" again)...

rkc

#4 · (Edited)
Why??? Do ya just want a slightly bigger mill in the softail? Prolly be simpler just to get a 103 kit if thats yer reason. I would guess even if the mounts lined up right, you would havta swap it all, tranny primary, motor, then ya got the different oil tank locations. Someone might speak up here that knows more but my heads spinning. How bout a nice solid mount Evo softail.

#5 ·
reason for swap

The reason I would like to swap motors is simple...I want a harley that acts like the harleys I grew up with...Loud...shakes like hell and loses parts..just like a true hrley is supposed to. The FLHX is just a bike for me n the ol lady so it needs to be civil and comfotable, mine needs no compromises for comfort.:)

#6 ·
The reason I would like to swap motors is simple...I want a harley that acts like the harleys I grew up with...Loud...shakes like hell and loses parts..just like a true hrley is supposed to. The FLHX is just a bike for me n the ol lady so it needs to be civil and comfotable, mine needs no compromises for comfort.:)
Wouldn't it be easier to just disable the counterbalancers on your softail? Put a thunderheader on it and you're all set.

#8 ·
What good is having a new\retro bike if it doesn't leak oil too?

:redrolf:

Seriously, as streetg said, I think you would be better off getting a nice shovel. Why "damage" a good bike?

rkc

#9 ·
With enough time and money, anything is possible and you need to have plenty of both to install a "B" engine in an "A" frame and an "A" engine in a "B" frame. More directly to your question, the answer is NO, the engines will not bolt directly to the frames. No disrespect intended but this would be a foolish undertaking and would not end well.:whistle:

As others have suggested, if you want a bike that shakes and vibrates, remove the counter balancer mechanism from the softail. My bet is that you will wish you hadn't. JMHO

#12 ·
I will sell you an 81 flhp with a 93" leineweber cam, triple x s&s g carb, and a rb lsr 2into 1
$3500

#13 ·
I don't miss the banana calipers that never really worked great, four speeds, points.....Jeeeez.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.