Woods Cams : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mahlerite wants to know Dino or Syn?
Woods Cams

I know that Bob Woods cams have a reputation for being extremely aggressive. But how bad are they? Do they really make that much valvetrain noise? I'm looking a a new grind of theirs: A cam for the '06 Dyna chain drive system and it looks like this...

TW7H Duration Lift
IN. 20/40 240 .575
EX. 42/18

Will this make my new 103 sound like a jackhammer?
mahlerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Booggerbe wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mahlerite, I have listened to a lot of diff. cams and i believe it is the type of build that you have that depends on the noise level. And the componets that you use.Yes bob Woods makes HP with his cams and the tech end from him you will get is one of the best .With the right valve train setup you will not get some noise that you cannot live with. Guess that is the trade off for power.I run the 8G that is suppose to be a free fall cam and i can say that it is not that bad on the ear.If you do your build correct and use the right parts you will be happy. Just do it right . Booggerbe
2006 SG 98" Hyperformanc/R&R/Axtell motor. 11.3 comp, remodified R&R billet heads, R&R cam plate, R&R 615/585 cams and gear drive. 1.675 Roller rockers, modified 07 oil pump, Reworked Hyperformance crankshaft, Axtell cylinders and pistons custom cnc by HyPerformance, Bob Wood Rebel carb, wood a/c, DTTT ign,Baker od 6 speed, Arnott air ride, pro-clutch, 3:37 gearing, 123.46hp / 119.01tq.
Booggerbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

nighttrain67 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Wood cams make some very good power, but despite what Bob or anyone else says, they bring a little more noise to the valvetrain. Some grinds are louder than others, but the trade-off is generally a motor that makes a bit more power than a comparative cam from a different company. Bob is very knowledgeable and I have pretty much run his stuff exclusively. I have messed around with other cam sets, but I have always ended back with the Wood stuff because they make the best power. Some of the TR grinds are supposedly a little easier on the closing ramps than Bob's stuff, but I have no first hand experience with them......plus if you look at TR's specs closely, you will notice they are "scary" close to some of the specs on some of Bob's better grinds.

2002 NightTrain 117 inch
R&R Stage V Heads (83cc), JE Flat Tops (11.5:1), TR650G Cams, Delkron Cam Plate, Fueling Oil Pump, S&S Roller Rockers, "B" Lifters with limiters, Rivera Brute III Extreme, Mik. 48/Wood Air Cleaner, D&D Black Low Cat, Baker OD6 "R" Ratio, .80 OD
nighttrain67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
I didn't know Wood had the new gen cams out yet.
If the cam you describe is like the TW6hg in terms of lift rates (timing looks similar) expect some noise. Sounds like a car or older Harley with solids. Will it hurt anything. I know many with high miles on their builds and no longevity issues but in a performance motor it would be normal to tear it down at ~50K or so, barring any failures previous to that just as a routine maintenance item.
The dynamics of the extreme ramps and the new hydra chain setup is an unknown. The setup seems to be very stable with more conservative grinds. You are carving new ground here.
nw_guy4_fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
43 Fuel Curves

genoway wants to know Dino or Syn?
Same durations as the TW6 & TW6H with a lift 0.015" less than the 6H. Makes for lower lift to duration ratio, around the same as a S&S 570 or 585 or Wood TW8. Lift to duration is the only published data to help determine noise level, but it is not totally predictive as they only show peak and not the ramp rate which is really how quickly the rods are thrown up and dropped down. I would expect within Wood's cams that the ramp rate would be comparable, so the TW7H should be the second quietest Wood's cams, with the low lift TW6 being the quietest.
genoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
LAF
Nice to ride again :-)

LAF wants to know Dino or Syn?
I can only say in my last build the TW6HG was just plain noisy. Now I know it was probably just me but no matter what, tappet, cam plate, Feuling or stock push rod/adjustment, roller rocker, rocker supports stock or forged, shafts forged or cast, oil pump, Feuling or stock, and on and on.

Just no two way about it is one HE$$ of a cam. It is as advertised, makes and does all it says it will. Scared my crazy more then a few times.

It just had a harmonic in the front exhaust that drove me ABSOLUTELY crazy. It was not gear whine but just the way the cam "hit". I do believe that it was the degree of the slopes and let me tell you they will slam a lifter pretty hard.

Thing is, when they are happy and you are doing 3200-5000 RPM you really don't hear anything but exhaust and you heart thumping.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

ejk_dyna wants to know Dino or Syn?
<<I didn't know Wood had the new gen cams out yet.>>

The tw7h is his new style 2007 (+2006 dyna) chain drive cam. .575 lift is so he can market it as bolt-in for se performance heads.
ejk_dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Genoway
There are assumptions made with your analogy
If we saw the .004, .020, .040, and .053 data all we might have a little better idea what the cam was really doing. Right now all we know is the lift is less. When you chart the data using the camshaft software there are clearly jerk issues with his previous grinds. I have seen this data for the tw6h and there is no reason why they would not be noisy and cause loft. Andrews (the grinders of Woods cams) can describe in better detail.
The Woods cams flat out work though.
Still this new TW7 is an unknown, but I do trust Bob Wood and if he were to tell me he had mellowed the ramps I would believe that. Still would like to look at the other numbers but I guess I am a little AR. Former JR stock NHRA runner up in the early 70s we had cams that had stock lift and duration oh yeah but lift rates so fast that we had to change heads with hammered springs and valve stems after 9 rounds in our "stock" 265" V-8.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
43 Fuel Curves

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_guy4_fun
Genoway
There are assumptions made with your analogy
If we saw the .004, .020, .040, and .053 data all we might have a little better idea what the cam was really doing. Right now all we know is the lift is less. When you chart the data using the camshaft software there are clearly jerk issues with his previous grinds. I have seen this data for the tw6h and there is no reason why they would not be noisy and cause loft. Andrews (the grinders of Woods cams) can describe in better detail.
The Woods cams flat out work though.
Still this new TW7 is an unknown, but I do trust Bob Wood and if he were to tell me he had mellowed the ramps I would believe that. Still would like to look at the other numbers but I guess I am a little AR. Former JR stock NHRA runner up in the early 70s we had cams that had stock lift and duration oh yeah but lift rates so fast that we had to change heads with hammered springs and valve stems after 9 rounds in our "stock" 265" V-8.
Ah, so you agree with what I wrote, but not with what you read.

Last edited by genoway; 10-22-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

All sounds reasonable to me but still using this grind in a hydra chain setup may be different than gear drive and enter in new issues we haven't seen before. Cutting edge is sometimes very close to bleeding edge. I don't want to create a fallacy about this cam or the design but will be very curious to see users reports when they have a little more widespread use. Would also be inclined to want to try a 1.7 rocker on the intake if I was screwing with it myself, not on a customer bike.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

r440 wants to know Dino or Syn?
When I called Bob a couple weeks ago for a cam for my 07 eg and told him I used to have his tw5g in my heritage and really liked it ,he told me the tw7 was a replacement for that and I have been contiplating that cam for my build,
r440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
43 Fuel Curves

No TW-5 or TW-6H available for the Roller Link Chain Drive Cams. The TW-7H is cross between the two. Durations of the 6H and lift of the 5. I wish they would grind it for gear drive too.

http://www.woodcarbs.com/06-07cams.htm
Old 10-28-2006, 12:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mahlerite wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
I can only say in my last build the TW6HG was just plain noisy. Now I know it was probably just me but no matter what, tappet, cam plate, Feuling or stock push rod/adjustment, roller rocker, rocker supports stock or forged, shafts forged or cast, oil pump, Feuling or stock, and on and on.

Just no two way about it is one HE$$ of a cam. It is as advertised, makes and does all it says it will. Scared my crazy more then a few times.

It just had a harmonic in the front exhaust that drove me ABSOLUTELY crazy. It was not gear whine but just the way the cam "hit". I do believe that it was the degree of the slopes and let me tell you they will slam a lifter pretty hard.

Thing is, when they are happy and you are doing 3200-5000 RPM you really don't hear anything but exhaust and you heart thumping.
Guess what? I have a set of the TW7H's sitting on my desk now. Called Tuesday, and they arrived yesterday. I decided that I didn't care if they were noisy. I want torque right now, and I suspect that my 95 soon-to-be 103 build will be very happy. That 101 degree LSA should build some cylinder pressure!
mahlerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

palsers wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlerite
Guess what? I have a set of the TW7H's sitting on my desk now. Called Tuesday, and they arrived yesterday. I decided that I didn't care if they were noisy. I want torque right now, and I suspect that my 95 soon-to-be 103 build will be very happy. That 101 degree LSA should build some cylinder pressure!
my pipes are so loud the only time I hear them is at idle.

Last edited by palsers; 10-28-2006 at 07:08 AM.
palsers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
when i yalked to bobbie a couple weeks ago, he said the new cams were on his shelves. prices didn't go up either.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement