Magnetti-Marelli to Delphi Conversion Possible? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

adlerx wants to know Dino or Syn?
Magnetti-Marelli to Delphi Conversion Possible?

Ok, I have never been happy with the Magnetti Marelli and have most of the parts for the conversion to carb. I actually do like alot of things about EFI and am considering conversion to Delphi if feasable. If I had the throttle body, ECM, SERT,coil, pump,and wiring harness from an 02 FLHT (mine is an 01 RG), would there be other changes necessary or is it just alot more complicated than this? What about the tank? Don't the delphi tanks have a defferent setup for fuel dilevery? maybe 1 hose instead of two? Also I read somewhere recently something about a cam cover, something about cam position sensor the MM uses. Will I need one of these too?
Really appreciate any insight or help anyone can provide on this.

Also if anyone has EVER done this conversion, would love to hear the details and possible pitfalls!
Thanks,
X

Last edited by adlerx; 09-03-2006 at 09:44 AM.
adlerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2006, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

95FLHR wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have you looked into the Zippers Thundermax conversion?
95FLHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks for your response but, DANG! I got the ZIPPERS coming at me from all directions!
My issue is a TUNER! I'm pretty sure I can find one for the Delphi/SERT, $1500 tuning dollars on the MM so far and no good...

Zippers setup is huge $$ and still no tuner I would trust, maybe another $1500 before I give up and put a carb on it... I have most of the carb parts already!

Oh Yeah! I have about the most common build around...... Heads, TW37, ProPipe...

What's wrong with the picture??

Last edited by adlerx; 09-03-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

I understand that would be a concern, but it seems like a lot of people are replacing their delphi ecu with the Thundermax. From what I can tell it is the same software. I have read a few threads on various boards about converting to Delphi from MM and it seems like it is doable but very difficult.

SB
Old 09-04-2006, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

C'mon guys, there is alot of technical expertise here here, I know someone knows the differences and the challenges associated with switching.
So, help a guy out here!
Old 09-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
You just need all the Delphi system. And a gas tank. There is no reason it wouldn't work.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Can be done and is not easy or cheap unless someone gives you pre-03 setup to stay away from the serial data bus.
Cohen Motors in your area has done it.
Carb looks better again unless you have very deep pockets and are a little OCD, also have a good understanding of reading electrical schematics.
nw_guy4_fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

sportking wants to know Dino or Syn?
nw guy , Can you elaborate on the pre 03 setup - and - serial data bus ? Are you saying an 02 harness stands alone ?
sportking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
ZIP KIT FOR '99-'01 88" T.C. FL (w/MARELLI EFI CONVERSION)

Here’s the answer to a question it seems like we get asked every day: What can I do with my 1999-2001 Marelli-based Twin Cam dresser to improve the EFI system? Well, we’ve worked hard on a conversion kit to the Delphi-style style system-- without the hassle of replacing the gas tank, as the two systems have different fuel feed requirements. This Zip Kit includes everything needed for the throttle body/manifold conversion to the 44mm (same as stock on 2002 and later FL’s) single-throat system, with special manifolding hardware for use with the stock gas tank. Our High Flow air cleaner assembly rounds out this intake upgrade.
In addition, our ThunderMax ECM electronics are encased in a special housing that plugs right into the factory wiring harness, so no modifications are required here either. Now, you can take advantage of later system’s superior IAC idle system and improved starting, as well as Zipper’s work in improving the stability of the air/fuel ratio. This kit is designed for use on un-modified 88” Twin Cam engines (stock displacement, heads, cams). The ThunderMax ECM is supplied pre-programmed with an engine and exhaust-specific base map developed and highly refined by Zipper’s. The key to its success is it's high-resolution Alpha-N base map, allowing performance and driveability that just doesn’t exist in the signal modifier market. This is the same unit that is supplied with Zipper's Muscle series EFI engine kits, but pre-programmed for the applications listed below.

as you can see, the kit comes with the ecm (which is also your tuner) and requires no new tank. price is 1459.00
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

The Zippers kit is an easy install and for any tuner that can deal with the SERT or PC this will tune similarly. From a technical aspect I see no performance or other advantage over the MM system with a better TB. It is still is Alpha-N (one of the selling advantages??) and has no MAP sensor. All timing is done in 2D with no influence of a MAP to sense load just throttle position via the TPS. Same as the MM. The Zippers eliminates the Delphi diagnostics and ION sensing.
If I wasn't going to change to a Delphi style system I would can the idea and get a carb.
Also the 02 Delphi is the only pre serial data bus setup AFAIK and those later setups can cause some added complications on conversions.
Also if I was going this far and wanted a great injection system I would get the O2 sensor version of the DTT TCFI and an aftermarket TB if the motor justified / needed that to perform to it's maximum potential.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

NW

So in your opinion, the stock MM ecu with a Horsepower inc. TB would perform as well as the Zippers kit? I have been wondering if the MM problems that seem to occur (idle,etc.) are because of the ecu or the TB.

SB
Old 09-05-2006, 10:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

You guys have me totally confused now! Fortunately the complete Delphi system I have access to is from an 02.
So, NW4, you're saying it IS a little more involved than just swapping tank, fuel pump, harness, TB and ECU?

My bike is running so damn good right now! It does have some small issues, a little lean(slight, very slight pinging when HOT), a little(alot) of decel popping and some cold idle issues. None of these things are so bad I can't live with em... kinda! I wonder if I just love tinkering?? Maybe I'll just stop the bleeding !
There is one more guy I would like to give a chance to tune this thing, His name is Colin at Full Throttle in Tacoma. Maybe I'll just give that a go in the spring and if it don't work, I can always do the carb conversion, I already have most of the parts.
What do you think nw guy4 fun, you know colin..... whatta you think(I always do what you say!)

Last edited by adlerx; 09-05-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Carb to fi or visa versa with same year parts is plug and play but going from 99 to 02 requires some harness revamping. Very easily done by an tech comfortable with schematics
Old 09-06-2006, 01:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Actually my bike is an 01 but it still seems a little more convoluted than plug and ride. I am just gonna wait for now...
Maybe by spring I'll feel like messing around with it again.
For now, the weather is just too nice to be taking anything apart! For running down the road, she runs amaizingly good! I'll have plenty of time over the cold wet winter to decide what I wanna do...
Thanks to everyone for their input!!

Last edited by adlerx; 09-06-2006 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Seahag wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlerx
Thanks for your response but, DANG! I got the ZIPPERS coming at me from all directions!
My issue is a TUNER! I'm pretty sure I can find one for the Delphi/SERT, $1500 tuning dollars on the MM so far and no good...

Zippers setup is huge $$ and still no tuner I would trust, maybe another $1500 before I give up and put a carb on it... I have most of the carb parts already!

Oh Yeah! I have about the most common build around...... Heads, TW37, ProPipe...

What's wrong with the picture??
What happened to your satisfaction with the Terry components TVII???? I posted copies of your satisfaction to several friends who were looking at those units.
Advertisement