Gap on NGK Iridium plugs : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006, 06:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

klondike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Gap on NGK Iridium plugs

Bought two of these plugs yesterday for my 01 EG. Just wanted to try something different. Noticed that the gap wasn't at .040". Matter of fact the gap was something like .030" or just slightly more. Whats the deal, is that the correct gap for these plugs or should I regap them to .040". thanks and keepem sharp
klondike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

WildBill2566 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I use these plugs in my 04 train, 1mm gap. dont forget to use copper grease when you torque em down.
WildBill2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

What's copper grease? Didn't use it. Didn't mention it on the box at all. These weren't gapped at 1mm but .030" or there abouts. I bent the electrode back to .040". keepem sharp
Old 08-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

tallyclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Where did you find the NGK Iridium's?? None of the autoparts stores, nor the metric dealers carry these. J&P doesn't either. Is part number DCPR7EIX the correct plug??
ALWAYS use copper antisieze on spark plugs!!
tallyclassic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Big O Dave wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyclassic
Where did you find the NGK Iridium's?? None of the autoparts stores, nor the metric dealers carry these. J&P doesn't either. Is part number DCPR7EIX the correct plug??
ALWAYS use copper antisieze on spark plugs!!
Here's where I get 'em: http://www.sparkplugs.com/
Old 08-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
FOG

trooper113 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by klondike
What's copper grease? Didn't use it. Didn't mention it on the box at all. These weren't gapped at 1mm but .030" or there abouts. I bent the electrode back to .040". keepem sharp

NGK site says .040......

NGK IX iridium 6046 DCPR7EIX .040 TC88

T113
trooper113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
You don't say?

Duoglide_62 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Be very careful with how you gap them. You can break the tip as it is very fine. Be sure to use a ground strap tool to open the gap and light taps on a hard surface to close it. See the pic.
Duoglide_62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

I didn't have a problem opening the gap when I took them back to show the vendor. I just used the little round gapper they had by the counter. But I made sure he knew they were't the correct gap even though his computer said they should be .040". I bought them at Parts Plus, I think that is the name of the store. I have also read that you shouldn't use any type of anti sieze on spark plugs as they already have it in the metal threads when the plugs are made. Read that on V twin cafe. Can't say I notice any difference in the bike on how it runs. keepem sharp

PS paid 6 bucks apiece for them.

Last edited by klondike; 08-07-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondike
Sorry, 1mm is about 0.039", and copper grease is an anti seize, I've use it for over 25 years, if you dont use it there is a risk that the plugs will seize into the heads. Google it.

Last edited by WildBill2566; 08-07-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
FOG

trooper113 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide_62
Be very careful with how you gap them. You can break the tip as it is very fine. Be sure to use a ground strap tool to open the gap and light taps on a hard surface to close it. See the pic.
Indeed....I broke the tip the first time I tried to open the gap on one.

T113
trooper113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

boblaverty wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had to regap my new NGK's also. I have since gone to the ND Iridium U-groove plugs, they have a finer center electrode, and I noticed my bike starts easier and idles smoother. The NGK's only had a couple thousand miles on them, and they looked very good. I bought both from sparkplugs.com out of San Diego, CA. Yes, use a good anti-sieze on the threads, and replace them on a cold engine too. I also use a little bit of dielectric grease inside the plug wire terminals to eliminate corrosion, also good for the battery terminals and all electrical connectors, and it great on your boat trailer wiring! Also torque to proper specs.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Nearly forgot, if using anti seize or any lubricant on a thread where not specified use the lowest torque value stated as lubrication of any kind on a thread will have an effect on the co-efficient of friction between the male and female counterpart. What this means is that for any given torque value, you will be tightening the part more than specified.

I only found this out a short while ago and have never had any problems even with total engine rebuilds, but then I always used a middle value where a range of torque values was given. But as stated I now use the lower of the two given in a range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.