torque specifications : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2006, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

jcorso1111 wants to know Dino or Syn?
torque specifications

I am replacing all of the bolts on my bike with a set of Stainless Steel ones from alloy bolts. the kit inlcudes all cover bolts, including rocker covers.

Can someone point me in the right direction. should I locktite them, what in/lb or ft/lb rating...

05 softail springer classic.

Thanks
jcorso1111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2006, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

alperin1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
You should seek out this info from the manual.

Some bolts may take locktite and some may not. I would think hardley any, if at all will need locktite.

Too many bolts to be listed.

Maybe some one has a list they can post for you.
alperin1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2006, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

adlerx wants to know Dino or Syn?
It's ALOT of bolts! The two most common specs are PFT and RFT but probably not the standards you'll wanna use! Look in your manual, be a pain tracking em all down but they sure look pretty when your done. Like a hundred little diamonds sprinkled on you motor compared to the stockers. My bike was 4 years old when I put em on so my stockers didn't look to great.
Have fun!
Old 03-25-2006, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Yep going to have to look up. Thats alot of differant bolts. I been looking at the standard kit, ss 99&up. $70. Do the rocker cover bolts have the indention for 3/16??
What are the factory bolts made out of? Been worrying alittle bit about using the wrong type of metal.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU

Last edited by berserker; 03-25-2006 at 09:20 PM.
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2006, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Notice there head bolts are 6 and not 12 pnt. Would 12pnt heads have better gripping. I always use 6pnt sockets for 6pnt bolts. So not sure if a problem.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 03-25-2006, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
ovanay elinquentday

GPO03FatBoy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorso1111
I am replacing all of the bolts on my bike with a set of Stainless Steel ones from alloy bolts. the kit inlcudes all cover bolts, including rocker covers.

Can someone point me in the right direction. should I locktite them, what in/lb or ft/lb rating...

05 softail springer classic.

Thanks
Most of the stock cover bolts take loctite. The HD ones will come with thread locker already on them. If yours don't have it, blue is generally the answer for these. The manual will have the torque ratings you need.

09 XR1200
A few gewgaws - no chrome
Tune by Phaedrus

Quote:
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
John Bernard Books
43+ HP / 43+ Ft-lbs
GPO03FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2006, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Didn't use any locktite on outer primary or anythin on it. Blue for some of the rest. Don't use red. Use blue. Read the manual. Most of thse will be in engine assembly.
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 03-26-2006, 06:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

hdracer67 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPO03FatBoy
Most of the stock cover bolts take loctite. The HD ones will come with thread locker already on them. If yours don't have it, blue is generally the answer for these. The manual will have the torque ratings you need.
I agree if your using factory bolt kits they come with the proper locktite patch already, but after market kits you should always use blue if in doubt!
In general if you dont have a manual go with these:
1/4" fasteners (outer-primary, cam-cover, tappet-covers, trans-side/top covers ) use blue loctite....80~120 in.lbs.
5/16" fasteners ( top rocker box covers ) 15~18 ft.lbs. ( 156~192 in.lbs ) blue locktite.
Hope this Helps!!
hdracer67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2006, 06:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

crash1292 wants to know Dino or Syn?
use anti seize NOT locktite.
stainless screwed into aluminum may gall
crash1292 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2006, 06:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
DRG
OBSESSED

DRG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Torque values are different for SS. A sheet comes with your set if you bought from Alloyboltz. I believe you need to use neversieze or locktite because of the difference in metals.

Dave
DRG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2006, 06:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

pa-glazier wants to know Dino or Syn?
Stainless shouldn't react with aluminum.
pa-glazier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2006, 07:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wandering Child

jimmymac wants to know Dino or Syn?
Okay then....

So why would the stainless react with the aluminum and not the zinc plated bolts that come stock on the bikes? Seriously.

I have the stainless bolts. Is this a loctite thing or an anti sieze thing? So far in this thread we have two opinions that are 180 degrees out of sync.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

crash1292 wants to know Dino or Syn?
alloyboltz said antiseize in the instructions
crash1292 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2006, 07:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
2005 Road King Classic

bbrowncods wants to know Dino or Syn?
Do not use the CAM COVER torque specs in the Manual!! You will crack your case. Use 90-120 INCH/lbs( plus a dab of Blue Loctite for stock bolts). I also used a tap to clean out all the holes to make sure there was no corrosion or oil in them.
05 Road King Classic - Sierra red pearl/RB Racing LSR 2-1 Titanium ceramic w/Chrome shields/98" RevPerf BB/37g cam's/Stock 99B lifters/Stage 2 CNC'd heads by R&R(GMR) 9.7 CR/Stock Throttlebody and SE air filter/500cc injectors/TTS and modified EFI to '07 w/O2 sensors/Super Premium Oil Cooler/SE Clutch spring w/Easy-pull ramp and a bunch of this and that!

People afraid of the government is tyranny, government afraid of the people is democracy.
bbrowncods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2006, 07:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Wandering Child

jimmymac wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash1292
alloyboltz said antiseize in the instructions
Can ya scan the sheet and email it to me? Dealer must have neglected to include the instruction sheet with the remainder of the bolts he returned to me.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.