S&S Super E tuning : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

KYJOHN wants to know Dino or Syn?
S&S Super E tuning

I have a 87 sporty with a 1200 kit, drag pipes, and a super e carb it has a bad hesatation at about 2800 rpm it seems when i pull the choke out alittle its alot better ,any suggestions and i think i should add i just got the bike and its my 1st harley
KYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2006, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Ka-Ka wants to know Dino or Syn?
Second tip down-

Tuning the S&S Super E.
Ka-Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

sulconst2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
congrats on the bike! the drag pipes probably aren't helping. are you getting a lot of pop on decel?
sulconst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
s and s carbs have no real way to tune midrange, they have pilot jet, main jet, and emulsion tube-------might i suggest a mikuni? much more tunable. or go back to the keihen, you still get tunability, just less of it.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

KYJOHN wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulconst2
congrats on the bike! the drag pipes probably aren't helping. are you getting a lot of pop on decel?
o yea it sure wakes the neibors, had one over today telling me i need new pipes i told him loud pipes saves lives and he looked dumbfounded so i guess im stayin with the pipes just for him

Last edited by KYJOHN; 02-11-2006 at 09:57 PM.
KYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Shovel Head Ted wants to know Dino or Syn?
S&S Super E

It sounds like the Acelerator pump could be out of adjustment. Since you just got the bike you might want to check the jet size. The intermediate jet should be around .31 and the main should be around .66,.68. I have found that most people tend to over jet these carbs. Also if you want more streetable power, get rid of the drag pipes. they don't have enough back pressure. Enjoy your new bike!
Shovel Head Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

sulconst2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYJOHN
o yea it sure wakes the neibors, had one over today telling me i need new pipes i told him loud pipes saves lives and he looked dumbfounded so i guess im stayin with the pipes just for him
sounds like he knows what he's talking about. check for leaks at the exhaust gasket and carb. tune the carb. put baffles in or get new pipes. find a good dyno to rejet. just my opinion!
sulconst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Big Time wants to know Dino or Syn?
Zippers ( www.zippersperformance.com ) sells a kit to install an external air bleed on S&S carbs. It's pretty cheap. That will help smooth out the transition from the low to high speed fuel circuits.
Big Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

ToddM wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYJOHN
I have a 87 sporty with a 1200 kit, drag pipes, and a super e carb it has a bad hesatation at about 2800 rpm it seems when i pull the choke out alittle its alot better ,any suggestions and i think i should add i just got the bike and its my 1st harley
To reiterate what the others said.... First, scrap the drag pipes! Get some 2-1 pipes or at least Python III, Bartels, or V&H Straightshots. No matter which you choose, LEAVE THE BAFFLES IN or it will be almost impossible to get it properly tuned. Drag pipes, even with baffles, basically suck and make it difficult to tune the engine, not to mention the amount of torque you are losing because of them. This isn't opinion, it's a fact!

Next, adjust the carb as per the instructions (you can get them at the S&S website). The S&S is one of the best performance carbs that's available, and is one of the most reliable and easiest to tune. It's all I use now after testing several other types. It's the racer's #1 choice. Make sure you use a K&N air filter, though. Just follow the instructions to a T and you won't have to worry about it for a long time. Also, make sure you don't have any intake leaks or you will have trouble tuning ANY carb. Spray WD40 around the sealing points and see if the engine speed changes. Also, I added a Yost Power Tube to mine last summer and it got rid of the slight hesitation I used to have when pulling out from a light. Now I don't even have to rev the engine once or twice before letting out the clutch. No hesitation at all, at any rpm!

Drag pipes are ok on the old ironheads, shovels, and earlier bikes, but will surely KILL your low to mid range torque. They are great if you are drag racing, but they suck for a street bike! I ran them for a couple days on my Dyna, but quickly went to the V&H Pro-Pipe. HUGE difference! It felt like a totally different (and much quicker) bike!

When you tune it on a dyno, which you MUST do after changing intake, exhaust, or ignition components, you will see that the drag pipes (or any open pipes) create a big dip in the torque curve below 3000 rpm. TORQUE is the most important thing to a Harley. Don't worry about horsepower numbers... concentrate on what make the most torque in the rpm range you ride in most (usually 1000-4000 rpm) and you'll be plenty happy! Have fun!

Oh yeah, another word of advice.... DO NOT use the choke (enricher) on the S&S unless it's very, very cold out, and even then for no more than 30 seconds or you will be changing plugs a lot. Use the throttle to keep the rpms up until it's warmed up.

Last edited by ToddM; 02-20-2006 at 12:36 PM.
ToddM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement