S&S HL2T Lifter Install / Pushrods : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Life is what you make it

hotshotfxdl is reading this now saying WTF is this?
S&S HL2T Lifter Install / Pushrods

Hey,
I am installing the HL2T lifters on my new TW-5G gear drive project.
I have a few questions. One I have noticed that S&S has two versions of instructions for this on their web site. One states that at zero lash you should back off 1 full turn the other says 1/2 turn. Does anyone have any input on this? Also I wrote to them concerning what thread was on the S&S quikee pushrods vs the SE Adjustable pushrods. They said the SE were a steeper pitch but didnt specify the threads. Does anyone have any input on this ? I am using the SE pushrod.
Here are the links to their instruction sheets for those who might be interested:http://www.sscycle.com/iframes/techtips.php then you must select valvetrain / lifters
The other sheet is listed at :http://www.sscycle.com/modules/instr...ds/51-1035.pdf scroll down to the section on HL2T

Any input or direction from people using these lifters would be greatly appreciated
THANKS
30 tooth tranny sprocket
3 Degree Raked HHI Tree

Our individual lives are each infinite treasure houses. Our lives are clusters of blessings. Lasting happiness never comes from the outside. Everything of value emanates from within our own being.
hotshotfxdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2005, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

HIPPO wants to know Dino or Syn?
It depends wether you are using the Hydrosolid lifters or just the travel limiters in stock lifters.
The Hydrosolids only have about .050" internal travel as opposed to stock travel limited lifters that end up with about .085"-.090"

With the Hydrosolids 1/2 turn tops or they may clatter with a real hot engine, with stock travel limited lifters it wouldn't be a big deal if you went 1 turn, but I prefer to adjust both of them almost like solids, ie you back them off to where they can easily be turned with two fingers. 1/2 turn tops.
HIPPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
To add to your confusion. Here is a 3rd instruction document from their website.

http://www.sscycle.com/modules/instr...ds/51-1039.pdf

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Life is what you make it

Thanks Guys !!!!
Here is the part number for the lifters I bought. 33-5351
Set(4) HYDRAULIC TAPPET W/HL2T,99-UP 2CBT

Intersting : they probably dont include instructions because they dont know which ones to send

as for the pushrods the SE are clearly a fine thread I would say a 24 I cant imagine that the S&S are finer then that ???
30 tooth tranny sprocket
3 Degree Raked HHI Tree

Our individual lives are each infinite treasure houses. Our lives are clusters of blessings. Lasting happiness never comes from the outside. Everything of value emanates from within our own being.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

brdman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm using Jims Powerglide lifters with the S&S lifter limiters and S&S push rods (which have a 1/4-28 thread), on S&S 640 cams. S&S suggest 1 turn up from bottomed (against the limiter). Also, if it's noisy, they suggest up to another full turn up. I split the difference and run mine at 9 flats from the bottom. They work fine there.
brdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

The Hydrosolids actually come from Jim's (Johnson HyLift), pretty sure the ones you mention are just regular lifters with the limiters installed so they would likely have .085"-.090" internal travel. It wouldn't be as critical to go a bit loose from 0 play, it's just that IMO the further you go loose from 0 play the more you negate the advantage of the limiters as far as controlling pump down.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshotfxdl
Hey,
I am installing the HL2T lifters on my new TW-5G gear drive project.
I have a few questions. One I have noticed that S&S has two versions of instructions for this on their web site. One states that at zero lash you should back off 1 full turn the other says 1/2 turn. Does anyone have any input on this? Also I wrote to them concerning what thread was on the S&S quikee pushrods vs the SE Adjustable pushrods. They said the SE were a steeper pitch but didnt specify the threads. Does anyone have any input on this ? I am using the SE pushrod.
Here are the links to their instruction sheets for those who might be interested:http://www.sscycle.com/iframes/techtips.php then you must select valvetrain / lifters
The other sheet is listed at :http://www.sscycle.com/modules/instr...ds/51-1035.pdf scroll down to the section on HL2T

Any input or direction from people using these lifters would be greatly appreciated
THANKS
You will be sorry for that mod....#1 you don't have enough valve spring pressures to warrant shuch a lifter and #2 they are the NOISIEST things under the son.
Ask Bobby Wood about using them with his cams.....
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Life is what you make it

Wow that's a bummer but it isnt to late to pull them out. I havent started it yet. Even with the HTTC heads ? I mean I know I cant return them.
Will they hurt anything ? Man these things have been the bummer of this whole project. Everything was going good till I went to put these in and wasnt sure how to adjust them. Uuuuuug Well it isnt like I can go for a ride or something since it is suppose to sleet on and off for the next few days.
What lifter would you recommend ?
30 tooth tranny sprocket
3 Degree Raked HHI Tree

Old 11-14-2005, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Wow that's a bummer but it isnt to late to pull them out. I havent started it yet. Even with the HTTC heads ? I mean I know I cant return them.
Will they hurt anything ? Man these things have been the bummer of this whole project. Everything was going good till I went to put these in and wasnt sure how to adjust them. Uuuuuug Well it isnt like I can go for a ride or something since it is suppose to sleet on and off for the next few days.
What lifter would you recommend ?
I use the stock lifter or a S/E high performance lifter with a cam like TW6H TW9B and so on. the stock lifter with the basiley 30% #4 spring will be fine and it will keep the TW5 very quiet....the TW5 isn't noisy anyway.
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Life is what you make it

Looks like a trip to the HD dealership and 229 bucks on the wall of shame in my garage
30 tooth tranny sprocket
3 Degree Raked HHI Tree

Old 11-14-2005, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Looks like a trip to the HD dealership and 229 bucks on the wall of shame in my garage
So that it isn't a total waste, why can't you run the S&S lifters without the HL2T installed? If they make too much noise or you have a problem with them, you already have adjustable pushrods and it would be very easy to change them out. If they work out for you, change them in 30,000 miles and then put in stock? OR you can still sell them on eBay and recover some of your money.

...... Just a thought

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Life is what you make it

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer-
So that it isn't a total waste, why can't you run the S&S lifters without the HL2T installed? If they make too much noise or you have a problem with them, you already have adjustable pushrods and it would be very easy to change them out. If they work out for you, change them in 30,000 miles and then put in stock? OR you can still sell them on eBay and recover some of your money.

...... Just a thought
Hmmmm I think we are on the same page I was thinking about posting something about taking them apart and taking out the HL2T then they would be like stock right ?? I got more time then money this time of year us Mainah's up heya
Thanks
30 tooth tranny sprocket
3 Degree Raked HHI Tree

Old 11-14-2005, 06:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Removing the limiters should be doable.

Goes to show you how different people have different experiences. I usually didn't use them in most customer engines, but have them in mine and also used both the limiters and Hydrosolids on friends engines with no noise issues whatsoever.
Different cams though.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Life is what you make it

Maybe I should just give them a try I havent even started the motor up yet.
I was about to this afternoon, until I read two different ways to adjust the lifters on S&S's web site. As for SEDELUXE 05's comment I really dont have a problem as of yet I havent even started the motor? I also dont see what could be wrong with the pushrods they have been working for over 4,000 miles ?
30 tooth tranny sprocket
3 Degree Raked HHI Tree

Old 11-14-2005, 07:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Up to you. Doc has all the experience with the Woods cams as I only have used them in a few ocasions and with stock lifters.

If you want to try them I find it best that you adjust them like solids and just loosen them a bit until they spin.

This sounds strange, but the best way to adjust them is dry, ie with no oil in the chambers, as it gives you a much more precise feel while adjusting. Then you just crank the engine without spark plugs a bit until you see good oil pressure.
Of course you have no fudge factor at all, like you have with hydraulics adjusted to the center of their stroke, so it is critical that the cylinder you are adjusting is precisely at top dead center on the compression stroke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement