Power Commander vs ECM Flash question : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2005, 06:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Sinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 389
Sinker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Power Commander vs ECM Flash question

I just installed a Power Commander on my 01 FLHRCi w/Stage 1 and slip-ons.

Am I correct in assuming that when I do my 95" build I won't need a Stage II flash; I can make necessary adjustments with the PC?
Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-2005, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 5,114
HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinker
I just installed a Power Commander on my 01 FLHRCi w/Stage 1 and slip-ons.

Am I correct in assuming that when I do my 95" build I won't need a Stage II flash; I can make necessary adjustments with the PC?
Yes you are correct...the stage II down load is not necessary
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 591
Lunker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Some people view the flash as an insurance policy . There have been a number of stories about PCIII's crapping out on people (fried circuitry?). If this happens and you still have your Stage I flash, you will be running very lean. If you get the Stage II and your PCIII craps out, at least you won't worry about damaging the engine riding it home or to a dealership. Anyway, just a thought.
__________________
Lunker (aka Chris)
Lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 5,114
HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunker
Some people view the flash as an insurance policy . There have been a number of stories about PCIII's crapping out on people (fried circuitry?). If this happens and you still have your Stage I flash, you will be running very lean. If you get the Stage II and your PCIII craps out, at least you won't worry about damaging the engine riding it home or to a dealership. Anyway, just a thought.
Most of the storys are just that....storys!!!
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 139
Pippeis wants to know Dino or Syn?
There's something that I cannot get...

everybody says that there's no difference if you have done your download or not when you have a PCIII

however, if you look at maps selection guide on powercommander.com you find "Stage of ECM (Harley Davison models only)
When looking at the map database first choose stock, Stage 1, or Stage 2 ECM. This has a large affect on the
map requirement and should be looked at first."

so?! it seems that we have a difference...

ciao...

F
Pippeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 5,114
HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippeis
There's something that I cannot get...

everybody says that there's no difference if you have done your download or not when you have a PCIII

however, if you look at maps selection guide on powercommander.com you find "Stage of ECM (Harley Davison models only)
When looking at the map database first choose stock, Stage 1, or Stage 2 ECM. This has a large affect on the
map requirement and should be looked at first."

so?! it seems that we have a difference...

ciao...

F
Its necessary for the different maps to list the downloads....if you have a S/E air filter kit, ProPipe, 37 cam, and a stage 1 ECM you will need less fuel in places on the map than if you had a S/E air filter, ProPipe, 37 cam and a STOCK ECM.
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 591
Lunker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmd88
Most of the storys are just that....storys!!!
Fair enough. I have read a bunch of stories about PCIII failures, but the Forum seems to be the place where people with a bad experience come to vent. You don't read much about the PCIII units that have been reliable because nobody's pissed off abut them.
__________________
Lunker (aka Chris)
Lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt
 
adlerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gazinta Rd. Rt. 7 Oreygone
Posts: 3,981
adlerx wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunker
Fair enough. I have read a bunch of stories about PCIII failures, but the Forum seems to be the place where people with a bad experience come to vent. You don't read much about the PCIII units that have been reliable because nobody's pissed off abut them.
I haven't read much about PC failures here? Did a search, no matches???
where's the "bunch" about failures?
Don't get me wrong, I have heard of failures, but I have heard of many cases where the EFI Module failed and sometimes due to some anomilee in the SERT programming.
I am not trying to defend or endorse any one product in this case but let's be fair here.
OBTW, I have a PCIII but will be upgrading to a sert when I do my build......
__________________
adlerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 591
Lunker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlerx
I haven't read much about PC failures here? Did a search, no matches???
where's the "bunch" about failures?
Don't get me wrong, I have heard of failures, but I have heard of many cases where the EFI Module failed and sometimes due to some anomilee in the SERT programming.
I am not trying to defend or endorse any one product in this case but let's be fair here.
OBTW, I have a PCIII but will be upgrading to a sert when I do my build......

Adlerx,

I've been a member here for a bit over a year and would guess that I've seen about nearly a dozen mentions of PoweCommanders biting the dust for whatever reason (water, heat, vibration, you name it, etc). Is it possible that there were multiple threads about the same PC failure? Yup. It could also be a case of the squeaky wheel catching my attention. Here are a few threads I found on a search:
http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthrea...=pcIII+failure
http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthrea...mander+problem

and especially
http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthrea...mander+problem
__________________
Lunker (aka Chris)
Lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 139
Pippeis wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmd88
Its necessary for the different maps to list the downloads....if you have a S/E air filter kit, ProPipe, 37 cam, and a stage 1 ECM you will need less fuel in places on the map than if you had a S/E air filter, ProPipe, 37 cam and a STOCK ECM.
Is the result different?!

ciao...

F
Pippeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
(C)2001-2012 V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved (C)2001- V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum