Changing Cam bearings : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2005, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

OOla wants to know Dino or Syn?
Changing Cam bearings

Hi.
I have a 99 RoadKing with cam roller bearings.
It works just fine but now that I know of the "cam issue" on 99 TC-engines I cant relax.
How much would the labour cost be for changing the bearings. I will probably change the cams as well but donīt know what to get yet, so please tell me what the labourcost is.
If I want to do it myself, it looks like I need $250 worth of special tools.
If anyone can enlighten me please do.
Ride safe
OOla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

cdirk wants to know Dino or Syn?
I didnt need to buy many tools. I used a small allen wrench to hold the chain tensioners, a torque wrench, and used a bearing pulling tool from autozone for free to change the inner bearings to torrington bearings. (They rent tools with a refundable deposit upon return.) Total tool cost was $50 for the torque wrench all other tools I had. To change the cams use the oven method as described in Harley hog website. Cant recall the exact link. Do a search and the procedure is under the cam change instructions. Cams in freezer, cam plate in oven for 20 minutes. Cams drop right into cam plate. Its real easy. Get a service manual to help with the change and call dealers for questions. Thats all I did. Worked fine. Had bike in to be looked at, dealer said cam change looked good. Make sure you get the timing marks on the sprockets lined up as per svc manual. Good Luck!!!
cdirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Kags wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdirk
I didnt need to buy many tools. I used a small allen wrench to hold the chain tensioners, a torque wrench, and used a bearing pulling tool from autozone for free to change the inner bearings to torrington bearings. (They rent tools with a refundable deposit upon return.) Total tool cost was $50 for the torque wrench all other tools I had. To change the cams use the oven method as described in Harley hog website. Cant recall the exact link. Do a search and the procedure is under the cam change instructions. Cams in freezer, cam plate in oven for 20 minutes. Cams drop right into cam plate. Its real easy. Get a service manual to help with the change and call dealers for questions. Thats all I did. Worked fine. Had bike in to be looked at, dealer said cam change looked good. Make sure you get the timing marks on the sprockets lined up as per svc manual. Good Luck!!!

How did you get your iner bearing back in?
Kags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Seahag wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOla
Hi.
I have a 99 RoadKing with cam roller bearings.
It works just fine but now that I know of the "cam issue" on 99 TC-engines I cant relax.
How much would the labour cost be for changing the bearings. I will probably change the cams as well but don´t know what to get yet, so please tell me what the labourcost is.
If I want to do it myself, it looks like I need $250 worth of special tools.
If anyone can enlighten me please do.
Ride safe
Check out our site sponsor http://www.georges-garage.com/ for some great deals on those specialty tools. I know there are several places renting tools, but I'm not sure they are willing to send them all the way to Sweden.

You may consider going with gear drive cams so you won't have to go back in there in 30,000 miles to replace tensioner shoes. You can find the package price deals online for $530.00 for a complete cam kit with bearings, gears and even a cam cover gasket.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Don Camillo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I`m also thinking about instaling new cams during winter (because I will have to repalce chain tensioners) by my self. The only thing that makes my scary is that I will need some special tools (not avilable overe here at resonable price).
Don Camillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Camillo
I`m also thinking about instaling new cams during winter (because I will have to repalce chain tensioners) by my self. The only thing that makes my scary is that I will need some special tools (not avilable overe here at resonable price).
Realisticly the only special tools needed should be availble in Poland no problem. Its tools made for cars that can be used. A 3 prong pilot bearing puller workes great to remove the iner bearings. A low cost bushing installer can be used to tap the new bearing in. This is by no means the best way but can be done. Also if you just change the tensinors and not the cams you can do so without replacing any bearings.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Highly Seasoned Rider!

newultraclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kags
How did you get your iner bearing back in?

Very good question. They should be pressed in slowly using the correct tool. Tapping them in with some sort of a drift is a no-no in my book. There is too great a chance of flattening the end of the outer shell and also starting them crooked and ruining the hole. Ths is asking for failure in my opinion.

I spent the money for an extended warranty on the three manuals and all of the cam tools.
newultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

cdirk wants to know Dino or Syn?
To press them back in I used a socket on the end of the same tool. Socket head same OD as bearing. The guy at the shop suggested this. Tap a few times and they sunk right in no problem. Put them in the freezer and they went right in. 5000 plus miles. No problems.
cdirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdirk
To press them back in I used a socket on the end of the same tool. Socket head same OD as bearing. The guy at the shop suggested this. Tap a few times and they sunk right in no problem. Put them in the freezer and they went right in. 5000 plus miles. No problems.
I guess because we never used a frezzer back when I was wrenching I just use what I always use. The 1st time I change out the inners I just used my bushing driver and taped then in. 1st went in perfect, the 2ed started cocked. I had to tap the outer egde to get it stright, slightly denging the cage in the process, then finished it in OK. After 38K miles I went S&S gear drive. When I pulled them out they look like they did when I put-n- in. However I said "not going to tap then in this time" and bought the instaler tool for 55 bucks. I should of froze them the 1st time, and maybe I would of saved 55 bucks.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Also if you just change the tensinors and not the cams you can do so without replacing any bearings.
Seems that replacing cams will be no problem as I had acces to proffesional car (or rather truck) service. I want to replace also cams because I`m thinking about gear drive (and some more power and BB kit somewhere in the future).
Old 08-03-2005, 03:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

ToddM wants to know Dino or Syn?
You don't ALWAYS have to use the factory recommended tools. As was mentioned earlier, you can use many tools available for free at Autozone. It just takes a little thought and common sense. Most parts on HDs can be changed without wasting money at the stealership or buying "special" tools.
ToddM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddM
You don't ALWAYS have to use the factory recommended tools. As was mentioned earlier, you can use many tools available for free at Autozone. It just takes a little thought and common sense. Most parts on HDs can be changed without wasting money at the stealership or buying "special" tools.

Hey Todd, I'm not sure but I dont think they have Autozone's in Poland.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

ToddM wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Hey Todd, I'm not sure but I dont think they have Autozone's in Poland.
Hmmm... ya never know.

I'm sure there are some kinds of parts stores in Sweden (not Poland).

My point was... you don't need the factory tools since there are other types of pullers that will work.
ToddM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

We don`t have Autozone stores overe here. I`m almost 99% sure I can do it alone or with little help of my friends (also reom www ;-) ). Will ask mechanik in at a dealer service what is neccesery to do the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement