Valve Sticking : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2005, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

LowGlide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Valve Sticking

I just bought a 95th anniversary Road Glide with an EFI EVo in it. I knew the valve train was a little noisy when looking at it but after 1/2 hour into my ride home it got really loud. I put new HD lifters with adjustable pushrods and cleaned the lifter oil screen. The bike has 30lbs oil while running and 10lbs at idle. Upon cold start it is silent and the hotter it gets the louder it is. I pulled the heads and valves and the front Intake valve shaft had alot of metal built up on it and i had to use a hammer to get it out. I am having the heads rebuilt but what would cause that condition? How can I avoid it in the future?
LowGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2005, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowGlide
I just bought a 95th anniversary Road Glide with an EFI EVo in it. I knew the valve train was a little noisy when looking at it but after 1/2 hour into my ride home it got really loud. I put new HD lifters with adjustable pushrods and cleaned the lifter oil screen. The bike has 30lbs oil while running and 10lbs at idle. Upon cold start it is silent and the hotter it gets the louder it is. I pulled the heads and valves and the front Intake valve shaft had alot of metal built up on it and i had to use a hammer to get it out. I am having the heads rebuilt but what would cause that condition? How can I avoid it in the future?
How many miles are on the engine? Was the valve tight in the guide before the keeper groove entered the guide? Are the rocker arm bushings worn out?
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

The bike has 83K but top end has 18K on a HD rebuild according to the receipts. The rocker arms and bushings are a good fit.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

the valve was tight in the head all the way through. It had alot of the valve guide gaulded to it. Is this a sign of overheating or over revving the motor?
Old 06-16-2005, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
the valve was tight in the head all the way through. It had alot of the valve guide gaulded to it. Is this a sign of overheating or over revving the motor?
Yes I would say so....possibably bad oil too.
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Highly Seasoned Rider!

newultraclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

Possibly oil but far more likely that the dealer failed to perform the proper reaming on the valve guides. There's a whole section on it in the manual for all of the Harleys. Stuck valves are rare in Harleys that are properly set up when assembled.
newultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement