Typical Stage 1 set up for a 2004 Fatboy : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2004, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

NEILB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Typical Stage 1 set up for a 2004 Fatboy

I'm new to Harley Davidson bikes and have just bought 2004 Fatboy carb version. I am thinking of putting on Pipes/Air cleaner/re-jet. I have been recommended Screaming Eagle Pipes but have no idea about filters, Airboxes and jetting requirements. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

neil
NEILB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2004, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

killmeyer000 wants to know where he is and how he got here
se air box kit is one of the best. highly recommended.

if you plan to get slip-on mufflers, you should look into cycle shack slip-ons. i think they sound better than se. plus they are cheaper.

answers about jetting are pretty diverse. don't know that there is any right answer. i can tell you what i did with my 2004 fatboy:

changed only the slow jet to a 48 from the stock 45.
vance and hines long shot pipes.
se air cleaner.
about 4 turns out on the mixture screw.

by the way...you bought the best bike.
killmeyer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
D_T
Renegade

D_T wants to know Dino or Syn?
4 turns on my bike with a 48 pilot would be entirely too rich. I started with 2 1/2 and haven't strayed far from there. I also put in a 195 main jet.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Mtclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just did a similar upgrade on my 04 EGC. I tried all diff jet combo's and finally went back to stock except for a 88-89 sportster needle ($8.00). Runs perfect now. I agree 48 slo, 4 turns sounds really rich. I was to rich at 46 with 2 turns out.
Mtclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Highly Seasoned Rider!

newultraclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtclassic
I just did a similar upgrade on my 04 EGC. I tried all diff jet combo's and finally went back to stock except for a 88-89 sportster needle ($8.00). Runs perfect now. I agree 48 slo, 4 turns sounds really rich. I was to rich at 46 with 2 turns out.
=================================

The Harley CV carburetor is a great unit. They are influended to a great extent by the mid jet. The best slow jet will be the one that gives about two turns out at idle. If you go really big on the mid and main jets, it will probably run OK when you goose it but you will discover that you need four to five turns out to get it to idle properly. Even then, it will be too rich and may foul plugs.

You can also tell you have the correct high speed (main) jet by doing successive plug checks at high speed.

The nice thing about having the carbureted model is you can do your own tuning without paying the dealer for a re-map.
newultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

NEILB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the adfvice :-)

I was recommended the Screaming Eagle air filter and breather kit, some kind of race ignition module and the SEII slip on's. I am living in Japan and I am not sure how good the machanics are over here. There are many noise regulations and from last Nov the Harley shops are not allowed to sell and fit aftermarket exhausts. But money talks and you can always encourage them to bend the rules!! ;-)
NEILB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ViennaHog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by newultraclassic
=================================

The Harley CV carburetor is a great unit. They are influended to a great extent by the mid jet. The best slow jet will be the one that gives about two turns out at idle. If you go really big on the mid and main jets, it will probably run OK when you goose it but you will discover that you need four to five turns out to get it to idle properly. Even then, it will be too rich and may foul plugs.

You can also tell you have the correct high speed (main) jet by doing successive plug checks at high speed.

The nice thing about having the carbureted model is you can do your own tuning without paying the dealer for a re-map.
Hi newultraclassic, I am little confused now about the labeling of the jets in a stock carb. Always thought there a slow jet, a jet needle and a main jet. What is a mid jet???
I have a 88B with 95 BB kit, Arlen Ness A/C, SE slip ons, SE performance ignition and I can't get the jetting right. Currently I run the following set up:
slow jet 48
Main jet 195
needle one notch up
Idle mix about 2 turns out
slide vaccum hole drilled out to 1/8"

Results:
Low mileage
No real increase in HP beyond throttle 3/4 open
low to mid rpm power great
engine surges at low rpm (city driving)
black soot around the mufflers
occasionally smells like gasoline when pushed hard at mid rpm
occasional carb fart and stall at low rpm roll on

Planning on going back to stock jetting/needle positon and start all over agin.
Any advice?

PS: No leaks or issues with the enrichener circuit

Resu
ViennaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
D_T
Renegade

One thing at a time. But if you want to start from stock, that'll work too. I would guess that with the needle shimmed and a 195 main jet, you're rich on the high side. My first step would be to put the needle back to stock position. Also, whoever talked you into drilling the slide owes you a new slide.

There is no "mid jet" on a stock CV. "Thunderjet" makes a kit to add a third (mid) circuit, but it isn't in common use.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Rockbiter wants to know Dino or Syn?
the SE Air cleaner kit and rejetting the carb are very easy to do, and can be done with basic hand tools. I've never installed a set of exhaust pipes on a Harley, but it should be simple enough. I suggest you order the #48 jet ($4 bucks), the SE Air cleaner ($200), and a set of slip-ons ($50-250) and do the work yourself. One afternoon of tinkering with the bike makes many miles of happiness!

I'm not yet at the exact level of boredom required to taste the cat.

'04 TC103 FXD
SE 4.375" Stroker Crank
SE 3.875" Flat top Pistons
SE 211 cams
Modified/Revalved Chevy Lifters
SE A/C
SE 2 Slip-Ons
Big City Thunder TMSEII Baffles
SE 6200 RPM Ignition module
SE Clutch spring
White Bros E-Z clutch release
LMR2 oil pressure spring
Rockbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

murphdog wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtclassic
This is exactly what I did. Tried the Dynojet kit, 46 and 48 slow jets, 195 main jet. I'm back to 45 slow and 190 main with the '88 Sporty needle.

ViennaHog, you mentioned having the needle one notch up, do you have a Dynojet kit? If you do, I believe they recommend a 180 main jet in their emulsion tube with basic air cleaner and exhaust mods. Also, their needle is quite rich. Dynojet kits are notorious for running rich and lousy gas mileage.
Going back to stock and starting over sounds like a good idea. Give the '88 Sporty needle a try, it works good with stock slow and main jets. 27094-88 is the part number, list price is $8.

Last edited by murphdog; 08-21-2004 at 08:00 PM.
murphdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphdog
This is exactly what I did. Tried the Dynojet kit, 46 and 48 slow jets, 195 main jet. I'm back to 45 slow and 190 main with the '88 Sporty needle.

ViennaHog, you mentioned having the needle one notch up, do you have a Dynojet kit? If you do, I believe they recommend a 180 main jet in their emulsion tube with basic air cleaner and exhaust mods. Also, their needle is quite rich. Dynojet kits are notorious for running rich and lousy gas mileage.
Going back to stock and starting over sounds like a good idea. Give the '88 Sporty needle a try, it works good with stock slow and main jets. 27094-88 is the part number, list price is $8.
Thanks murphdog, will go back to the factory setting for the slow and the main and try to get the Sporty needle here in Vienna Austria. May take a little time.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

viennaHog, you may want to try putting a couple of #4 flat washers (approx. 0.050") under the stock needle while you're waiting for the Sporty needle. One of the benefits of the Sporty needle is that the straight part is smaller and richer than your stock needle and this helps off idle to about 1/4 throttle. Adding washers to your stock needle won't accomplish this, but will approximate the more aggressive taper of the Sporty needle which is in play from about 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. Depending on your altitude, you might try leaving the 48 slow jet in with the shimmed stock needle. I didn't try the 48 slow with my stock needle, but it is too rich with the Sporty needle. I live at 1000 feet (300 meters) and also have the 95" kit.

p.s. I just looked up the elevation of Vienna and see it is low at 171 meters or 560 feet.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
D_T
Renegade

Murph,
Because the needle sits in the main jet orifice and not the pilot, changing the main jet would have far more effect on the mix when making needle adjustments and/or changes.
I understand that there is some interrelation, but if the mix is right in the low range but the high range isn't, then the pilot and idle mix are right and a main or needle change is in order.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

D_T,
The straight part of the needle affects off idle to about 1/4 throttle. The slow jet also affects this range. I was suggesting that if you don't have the Sporty needle, which has a smaller diameter straight part, maybe you could get by using a 48 slow jet to compensate. The main jet has no effect until nearly WOT, I was suggesting that the mixture in the low range might be too lean using the stock needle, even with shims, and the stock 45 slow jet.
I was not suggesting that leaving the 48 slow jet in with a shimmed stock needle would have any effect on the top end.
It is generally accepted that the stock 190 main jet is sufficient for a setup such as viennaHog has.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphdog
D_T,
The straight part of the needle affects off idle to about 1/4 throttle. The slow jet also affects this range. I was suggesting that if you don't have the Sporty needle, which has a smaller diameter straight part, maybe you could get by using a 48 slow jet to compensate. The main jet has no effect until nearly WOT, I was suggesting that the mixture in the low range might be too lean using the stock needle, even with shims, and the stock 45 slow jet.
I was not suggesting that leaving the 48 slow jet in with a shimmed stock needle would have any effect on the top end.
It is generally accepted that the stock 190 main jet is sufficient for a setup such as viennaHog has.
Thank you guys, I've learned so much following your discussion and I was lucky to locate a sporty needle .Will put it in along with a 190 main, a 46 slow and the stock slide next week (couldn't find the guy who told me to bore out the vaccum hole though.............)
Will get back to you with the results (should take several 100 miles to come to a final conclusion)

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement