S&S 585g camshaft : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2004, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Rubberhog wants to know Dino or Syn?
S&S 585g camshaft

Was thinkin about gettin this cam into my 2000 Wideglide, has allready installed Hsr 45, Pro-pipe, and Daytona ignition, ported heads with bigger valves, is this a good cam for upper rpm Hp and torque ?
Rubberhog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2004, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

ClassicRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberhog
Was thinkin about gettin this cam into my 2000 Wideglide, has allready installed Hsr 45, Pro-pipe, and Daytona ignition, ported heads with bigger valves, is this a good cam for upper rpm Hp and torque ?

Before you jump into the S&S cams....I would seriously look at the Andrew Cams... www.Andrewscams.com

Remember Andrews actually grinds S&S cams.....I put a S&S 570 cam in my dyna low rider...with compression at 10.5:1 and guess what it's wrong...too much compression for that CAM, S&S says go 585 with compression over 10:1 and use 570's with compressions at 9:1 to 10:1. I am actually going to tear into my engine and bring down the compression this winter....going down from a domed piston to flat top piston which will bring the compression to 9.5:1. Probably cost me another $400.00 or so. All of this depends of course on where you are located...what elevation you will use the bike in.....I had pinging......grrrrrrrr SO now I am working on my RKC and I am going with an Andrews 26G only a bolt in cam....leaving heads and cylinders ALONE...the dyna is fast enough.....the bagger is my crusier....but be careful with what you really want...or you will be REVERSING steps like I am....SURE everyone says JUST RETARD timing.....but that is a BANDAID....of course my opinion.....Answer this question....fast and speed vs reliablity.....of course my son in law owns an RC51...lol....that's just a little faster...lol....but then it's a honda...lol.....

Not sure if this helps....but check out Andrews....I like their cams....I have heard that S&S is now having other companies GRIND their cams now and gears which of course removes Andrews from the quality picture......take a breath and decide....

ok enough, huh...

ClassicRider
ClassicRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2004, 03:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Rubberhog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRider
Before you jump into the S&S cams....I would seriously look at the Andrew Cams... www.Andrewscams.com

Remember Andrews actually grinds S&S cams.....I put a S&S 570 cam in my dyna low rider...with compression at 10.5:1 and guess what it's wrong...too much compression for that CAM, S&S says go 585 with compression over 10:1 and use 570's with compressions at 9:1 to 10:1. I am actually going to tear into my engine and bring down the compression this winter....going down from a domed piston to flat top piston which will bring the compression to 9.5:1. Probably cost me another $400.00 or so. All of this depends of course on where you are located...what elevation you will use the bike in.....I had pinging......grrrrrrrr SO now I am working on my RKC and I am going with an Andrews 26G only a bolt in cam....leaving heads and cylinders ALONE...the dyna is fast enough.....the bagger is my crusier....but be careful with what you really want...or you will be REVERSING steps like I am....SURE everyone says JUST RETARD timing.....but that is a BANDAID....of course my opinion.....Answer this question....fast and speed vs reliablity.....of course my son in law owns an RC51...lol....that's just a little faster...lol....but then it's a honda...lol.....

Not sure if this helps....but check out Andrews....I like their cams....I have heard that S&S is now having other companies GRIND their cams now and gears which of course removes Andrews from the quality picture......take a breath and decide....

ok enough, huh...

ClassicRider
Thanks , not an easy part to deal with this cam wonderings and what parts who work best together
Rubberhog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2004, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

joepenoso wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lightbulb

Wouldn't it be easier to just change the S&S .570 cam for a S&S.585 cam?You could leave everything else as is and you wouldn't have preignition.
joepenoso

Quote:

ok enough, huh...

ClassicRider
joepenoso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2004, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Question re 570s

ClassicRider,

Given the pinging, etc. - how was the torque and power with the 570s? About where in the RPM range do they start coming on and what's/where's the peak Torque and HP?

Quote:

ok enough, huh...

ClassicRider
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2004, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

ClassicRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Opps sorry for the delay went on a two day ride with my son......we were riding in areas of 8000 feet to over 12,000 feet...let's just say we went over America's highest paved road....lol.....brrrr oh and we saw the clouds...lol...ok we drove through the clouds....as for pinging on the dyna....of course there was none....but when we came back down to elevation where we live which is just below 5,000 feet....the pinging reappeared....we all know why...ok...so....I was asked an initial question of why not just change to 585 cams....I thought about that....and my response is.....I don't want 10.5:1 compression anymore....I have been to the MOUNTAIN TOP of horsepower and torque....lol....and I am happy having my engine now running at more of a 9.5:1 compression as max. I plan to travel to sea level...in fact any traveling I do will take me to much lower elevation than where I am at....so...reliablity becomes my biggest concern....

next quesion
================================================== =======
Given the pinging, etc. - how was the torque and power with the 570s? About where in the RPM range do they start coming on and what's/where's the peak Torque and HP?

The torque and power is excellent.....100ft lbs of torque and 100 hp both to the rear wheel.....they come on at around 1900 and peak somewhere around 5200. But the seat of the pants performance is pretty amazing......remember that dyno charts are dyno charts....the application to the street is the most important....and the reality is that I am pinging...something that I don't like...and had I gone with 585's then perhaps this would not have occurred...but then of course the the 585 cam is slightly different as well....I wanted more grunt seat of the pants pulling....so...that's why I am not willing to simply jump up to the 585's what will be interesting is to see how it feels seat of the pants when i bring it down to 9.5:1 compression...perhaps the 570 cam will even be better and the engine will perform even better.....once again though.....I would if it were me consider an equivlant andrews cam.....I am getting ready to put one in (26G) into my road king classic, as I do not wish to break into the cylinders and heads......but that is another post...lol....

I appreciate your questions and thoughts....

ClassicRider
ClassicRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2004, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

SILVER BULLET wants to know Dino or Syn?
Anytime you get over 10 - 1 comp. you are stressing the motor. YES they make good power {my 2002 FXD is 10.7 - 1 comp. and has no less than 95 lbs.tq. and goes to 109 tq. max BUT ! I also have a FLHT that is stock accept for Andrews 21 cams and it has 72 hp. and 90 lbs. tq. It runs like stock ! That bike runs 85 - 90 mph. all day long as I have done it many of time. Has 31000 miles on it with NO problems ! The dresser is 88 C.I. and will run with any stage II big bore.
SILVER BULLET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

sfjsarge wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your dresser ... I'm thinking in terms of the 21 cams as well. Are you running gear or chain drive? If chain, the old or updated version? Did you also change to adjustable pushrods? Seems to be the way to go to me.

I just had a failure w/ my Rinehart True Dual rear header pipe (as I'm told is common to the early systems) and went to some Vance & Hines oval slip ons. Like the performance there and just want to enhance the Ultra with the cams. There have been several folks that have told me that a good set of cams in an 88" will work better than a 95" kit.
sfjsarge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Uh...Sarge??? This thread is over 4 years old.
I'm thinking he has it figured out.

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Location: Land Of The Free and Home Of The Brave, United States Of America
1711tab wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBob View Post
1711tab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Hillside wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBob View Post
Hillside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2008, 07:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

KingofCubes wants to know Dino or Syn?
R&R was dyno testing with that 585 cam several years ago at 10.8 to 11.2 to 1 compression and added the 1.72:1 ratio intake rockers to it and liked it so well that they desinged their RR615 around it. 615 intake lift, 585 exhaust lift.

515-266-6381

www.kingofcubes.com

KingofCubes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.