Any recommendations on head work in DFW? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2004, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

rpbrock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Any recommendations on head work in DFW?

I want to start doing a little research so when I'm ready for cams I can have the heads tweaked. Any recommendations for an indy shop or machine shop that does good work on TC heads? It would be good if they could do a turn key package, heads and gear drive cams without raking me over the coals. Any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time,
rpb
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2004, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

tomp wants to know Dino or Syn?
Call Dean at D&S Performance 214.321.0800. He races Harleys and all work is done in-house.
tomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

GRock wants to know Dino or Syn?
lots of good porters out there. Hillside Cycle, Head Quarters, Dave Mackie, Bishop Performance, Branch, etc. Put "Harley head porting" or other keywords into search engine and you will get a bunch of good info. Go with guys with good rep as you can actually lose power with bad ported heads if someone doesn't know what they are doing.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

thanks for the info guys
Old 05-29-2004, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Seahag wants to know Dino or Syn?
Turn Key packages

I'm not sure how much money you were looking to spend but I found the Branch Flowmentrics service to be a good value for me....and they can sell you a complete matching kit including: Ported and polished heads (very nice work), matching port shaped J&E pistons with 10.5:1 comp, and chain or gear drive cam kits that were designed to branch specs to work with their head porting. I did the Heads ($840.00) and pistons ($250.00) which came to less investment than many aftermarket performance heads alone...including S&S, Edelbrock, and Delcron. Check out their web site for more info <www.branchflowmetrics.com>I for one am a satisfied customer.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

ShakyJake wants to know Dino or Syn?
I got the #'s of a couple gals in that area that do pretty good "headwork" if you know what I mean....LOL
Old 05-30-2004, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

wildbilltx wants to know Dino or Syn?
I kind of had the same questions.

I spoke to Dean over at D&S here in Dallas. Way cool fella and seems to know his way around a harley. He said he could do the head work I needed for my intended build for around $500. But I think the job would retain the stock exhaust valve.

How does a regular headjob compare to Short Block Charie's scottsman hop up. His work of porting, polishing, opening up the valves, recutting the valve seats and new vlaves for $250 seems great. I am not going HC, but am hoping to stay just under 10:1.

On the other end all together, Branch seems to have a unique system as well.

I am just trying to figure out the best route. Local, Short Block Charlie or Branch/S&S or the like.

Oh, I will take the numbers for the local gals you know too. Might as well get a headjob while I am getting a head job.

WildBill

2004 Road King Custom
95" Big Bore and a Couple Hookers
wildbilltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

If I take those other headjob numbers I won't have any money left over to get my WG a headjob.... a lot of these DFW gals will suck your wallet dry too! LOL

Again, thanks fellas, I'll do some digging. Ride safe!
Old 05-31-2004, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

barry1967 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Take a look here http://www.johnsonenginetechnology.com/index.html . I had then do my Dyna when I had it. Pricey but the results speak for themselves.
barry1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 02:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
FNG :)

mojojnp wants to know Dino or Syn?
Stage 3 Head Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbrock
I want to start doing a little research so when I'm ready for cams I can have the heads tweaked. Any recommendations for an indy shop or machine shop that does good work on TC heads? It would be good if they could do a turn key package, heads and gear drive cams without raking me over the coals. Any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time,
rpb

I had nrhs performance do my headwork. You can check them out at www.nrhsperformance.com . I have 2001 sportster sport with .536" lift screaming eagle cams, dual plugged buell high flow thunderstorm heads, jims hydrosolid tappets, s&s adjustable pushrods and roller rocker arms, screaming eagle ignition module and coil. I also purchased the 1250cc kit that nrhs has to offer. I have only broke my motor in to 500mi. I can absolutely feel the extra torque it has. I have felt more speed and horsepower also. The torque gain is huge though. I have not dynoed it yet but I plan to as soon as I can. The price was huge though. I paid alot of money. One thing that I like with there stage three work is that they engineered a computer program where they type in all the parts you have and it makes the cnc machine port exactly how the program finds the flow and combustion will be ideal. They do use premium parts and that is where the cost is. They do other harleys not just sportys.
mojojnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Kopperhed wants to know Dino or Syn?
On another forum I asked a question concerning taking my bike to SBC in Phoenix. One of the posters (who works for SBC) wrote that if I did not want to make the trip from Houston to Phoenix, I could take my motorcycle to Piper Performance in North Richland Hills. The gentleman from SBC wrote that Piper Performance installs a lot of their (SBC's) 95" kits.

Piper Performance
5112 Commercial Drive, North Richland Hills, TX 76180
(817) 656-7400
Kopperhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement