Wardspartswerks FCS cooling fans : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

gtnot wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wardspartswerks FCS cooling fans

I've gotten about 6k miles on since installing the 120R. The only complaint I've had is at traffic lights or in stop-n-go traffic the CHT (cylinder head temp) will quickly cross 300F, which gets a bit uncomfortable for me (not to mention the engine). I have been seeing the Wardspartwerks FCS (Forced Convection System) on several forums so I decided to give it a try.

Here is a link: http://wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html

Installation was exactly as he described, it took maybe 45 minutes to complete.

I'm seeing 15-20 degrees less CHT at all times, and the temps don't seem to climb nearly as fast as before the installation. Temps are even down at 80 MPH (fastest I've tested so far). I really like the thermal control switch since it will let the fan run for a few minutes after shutdown. The only "gripe" I have is the fans are just a bit loud but I guess you can't move a lot of air without making some noise so I'll learn to accept that.

Overall, I'm pleased with how this item is working. It's a bit spendy but nothing like the Oil Bud (which I view only as a supplemental cooler, probably soon to be removed from my bike). I'll leave the Jagg 10-row cooler.

I'm in no way connected to WPW, merely a happy customer. I had seen no reviews here so I decided to post my own mini-review.

2011 FLTRX
120R Crate
AV&V Valves/Beehives (nw_guy4_fun)
TR590 @ 10.5:1 / Baisley Rockers
MGS Stepped True Duals
S&S Tuned Port Intake
SE 58mm TB/5.3 Injectors
Evo 49T / Bandit Sportsman Clutch
SE Manual Tensioner / Smith Bros. Pushrods
Pingel Electric Shifter / Gaterman GP1023 Lifters
WPW FCS Cooling Fan
PowerVision/Tuned (to perfection) by Independent1

2007 GL1800 Motor Trike (hers)
gtnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

CowboyTutt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nice post. Glad to see people are realizing that putting fans on the oil cooler is not the solution since very little oil gets to the heads. There is a reason why Erik Buell put ducts and fans on the heads of his air-cooled Buells!!!! Some of the competators products from JIMS and "Love Jugs" look interesting too. Thanks for the report! -Tutt
CowboyTutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Ziggy57 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just ordered my fan kit from them as well. I read up on it and decided to give it a try since like gtnot, I experience the same heat situation at stops here in Az.
Thanks for the heads up gtnot and the good report on the results.

Jason Ward has been very helpful and a pleasure to deal with!

ZIGGY
Ziggy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
eja
FNG :)

eja wants to know Dino or Syn?
I installed Ward's fans this winter, but use a switch instead of thermostat. Last week I got stuck in about 5 miles of stop and go traffic. Oil temps never got above 220 and CHT was 235ish. Fantasic product.
eja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

hdrider1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hopefully this is more durable than the Lenale Fans. I tried a Lenale Fan and it worked great until it quit working about 3 months later. The company refused to warranty the unit because it was "out of warranty".

I would be interested to understand the durability of this new cooling fan product -- sounds like it's too early to have developed a track record and the vibration of a big twin can really wreck havoc on fans. I'd also like to know what warranty this vendor is willing to offer on the product if it's like Lenale you can forget it.
hdrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Jason stopped by here yesterday and dropped off my kit. While he was here, he explained how the system works and said he offers a 2 year warranty. He will either fix or replace failed parts unless they are damaged.
It was great to see all the sensors and gauges he has on his own test bike.

Z
Old 04-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

guydoc77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Interesting indeed. I suppose, especially with closed loop, it was bound to come to something like this. I have just one question though. While I realize that these types of fans may be a solution to the heat on air cooled engines, I still have to wonder why some shun the idea of a radiator. I understand the appearance factor, but if it really has to come to using aftermarket fans hanging around the heads and cylinders, how is a radiator any less appealing?
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
R&R Stage 3 heads, .030 gasket, 82cc chambers
Trued, welded, and balanced crank by Hyperformance
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
Supermeg with open cap and 15 discs
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
Aspen White (got it for my wife)
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!
guydoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

I'm guessing that the ability to retro fit the fans to our current bikes as opposed to ordering a new model with a radiator if and when it becomes available, is the biggest benefit. Along with added weight to a bike that weighs in over 700 lbs., liquid, radiator and w/pump as well as t/stats and harnesses could be a reason some shun the water cooled idea.

Out here in Az. any temp drop one can attain is an advantage! $275.00 sounds like a bargain to me if it will help the motor live longer !!

Last edited by Ziggy57; 04-11-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

gtnot wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by guydoc77 View Post
Interesting indeed. I suppose, especially with closed loop, it was bound to come to something like this. I have just one question though. While I realize that these types of fans may be a solution to the heat on air cooled engines, I still have to wonder why some shun the idea of a radiator. I understand the appearance factor, but if it really has to come to using aftermarket fans hanging around the heads and cylinders, how is a radiator any less appealing?
Personally, I can't wait to see how the upcoming update to the Road Glide unfolds if it is going to include some form of water cooling (as is being rumored). What I don't understand is why they couldn't have developed the fairing redesign/retooling "offline" so that they didn't have to miss a year of production. But I'm fairly certain that the MoCo can design an acceptable-looking radiator installation. Will it be universally accepted by all?...Nope. There will be teeth-gnashing, moaning and groaning about the loss of "tradition", the likes of which haven't been seen since...the last big change.

The Showerhead...has a nice ring to it.

BTW, I've only ridden once or twice with this new fan, I'll come back and give an update if needed regarding its performance or reliability.

2011 FLTRX
120R Crate
AV&V Valves/Beehives (nw_guy4_fun)
TR590 @ 10.5:1 / Baisley Rockers
MGS Stepped True Duals
S&S Tuned Port Intake
SE 58mm TB/5.3 Injectors
Evo 49T / Bandit Sportsman Clutch
SE Manual Tensioner / Smith Bros. Pushrods
Pingel Electric Shifter / Gaterman GP1023 Lifters
WPW FCS Cooling Fan
PowerVision/Tuned (to perfection) by Independent1

2007 GL1800 Motor Trike (hers)
gtnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

aubeagle wants to know Dino or Syn?
I installed these fans on my 04 Dyna and i'am happy with the results. The traffic i have to deal with in the dc va and md area is bad all the time. They make the pull over and let it cool down time's not near as much. I'am still going to put a oil cooler on it between the two it should be make riding a whole lot better. Way too much money in the motor. I can't let heat take it's toll.

S.
Ported MVA's
Crane 296-2
Woods lifters
SE Roller Rockers
HPI 55 tb
Marren 5.3
Injectors
VH Propipe
T/max
aubeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
The Showerhead...has a nice ring to it.
That was priceless. Still laughing as I type! :-)

-Tutt
Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

vanslam wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just installed my FCS on my 120R to help with the heat. All I can say is that these fans work! After putting it on I went to NYC to rid in the veterans day parade. These little fans pump the heat right off the cylinders. With the remote swtic they went on and off all by them selves. The install was stright forward and simple and the cost can not be beat. Finally the quality of the product is outstanding. If you are thinking of fans to cool your Harley I would give these serious consideration. I know my riding buddies are.
vanslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

I've been trying to perpetuate the idea that these big inch builds need a lot of additional cooling just as Bob Woods suggests, even to S&S themselves, but despite the fact I have a tuner in Riverside who can back it up with heat gun results, EVERYONE, even S&S scoffs at me. I guess they don't flog their bikes as hard as I do.

These head cooling fans are a very good idea IMHO.

-Tutt
Old 11-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
They will be going on my 117. Plus a Reefer oil cooler. HD oil temp gauge in the dash.

I have been CowboyTuttized too and will give the coatings a try. My bike is a bit of a test mule. I am hoping at 11:1 it will be manageable.

All I have on it now is a softail uptube cooler I bought on the scratch and dent table for $25 so there should be quite an improvement.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Olivepearl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don every engine I build will have coatings no doubt I am sold on them. I have a Jagg Wideline on the down tube now and I will wait to see if I need Jason's fans when the 120R goes in. Tutt it's not just Big Inch builds it's High Compression builds that Bobby Wood touts need's the extra cooling. And most of the Guys on here don't know what HOT NASTY HEAT is until you go south of the 35th parallel...OK maybe Death Valley! LOL!
Olivepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement