How far (BIG) can a man go, starting with an 88"? 107"? 121"? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Horn Lake, Mississippi
Posts: 64
JuiceMan wants to know Dino or Syn?
How far (BIG) can a man go, starting with an 88"? 107"? 121"?

Hello all. I am just wondering what the limits are for me. I would like to eventually increase the Cubic Inches of my T/C. I've read some conflicting info. on the forums, (which I am learning is....SADLY...the norm.) Anyway, does anybody know, (spelled K-N-O-W) OR....... E-X-P-E-R-I-E-N-C-E actually....

Not trying to be a jerk-o$F, just would like for the folks who actually know answer the question.

It may be a really stupid one as I understand that the Heads and cylinders can be manipulated quite a bit. I just figure that there have to be SOME extra metal in the 88" compared to the 103" or the 95" just due to stroke and rod length, etc......

I've wrenched on cars, big trucks and tanks so I have a small understanding of the internal combustion engine, but truly, I am ignorant on many aspects of the V-Twin......but want to learn...

So....how big can I go and keep a good degree of reliability and longevity?
AGAIN............RELIABILITY AND LONGEVITY....two most important factors for me. I am not a drag racer and could care less that another Harley can pull away from me at a red light in Panama City...........I just need to always enjoy my Harley starting up and getting me home...........fast.

I KNOW this makes sense to a few of you.............your the ones I want to help me if you will.......

Thank You for Your Time!
JuiceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
0043--Licensed to Doof!
 
Geezer-Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hither, thither and yon. Mostly yon.
Posts: 4,347
Geezer-Glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
95" safely and 98" with less reliability. 95 is tried and true. Mild cam, head work, and a good tune. Do your homework and research. There is tons of information in this and other forums. Buy a service manual for your bike. These things aren't rocket surgery, they're Harley's!

Only way to go to 103 or 107 is to stroke it. Now you're starting to talk mega $$$$.
__________________
Seat, frame, stroker motor, paint, some chrome, two wheels, tires, road grime and a couple of old dead bugs. Fun meter.......PEGGED!!!



I Doof, therefore I am.

D.F.F.D


THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. THANK YOU.
Geezer-Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
 
strokerjlk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: IL.
Posts: 6,810
strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
95" safely and 98" with less reliability. 95 is tried and true. Mild cam, head work, and a good tune. Do your homework and research. There is tons of information in this and other forums. Buy a service manual for your bike. These things aren't rocket surgery, they're Harley's!

Only way to go to 103 or 107 is to stroke it. Now you're starting to talk mega $$$$.
yep 98 ci is as big as you can go with your 4" crankshaft and cyls without boring your cases.
you could put a 103 crank in and go 103 -107 ci without boring cases.
or you could keep you crank and bore your case and go 104-107 all bore.
or you can buy crank,cyls pistons case bore and go 113-124.like Geezer said lots of money.
if you got about 7000,00 to spare? bolt a 120r in it
__________________
07 ULTRA
SE 120Rxtra....under construction
AMRA
SE 218
DR 218




Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 221
Merc63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
You could have a 145" and be as reliable as your 88". The engine size doesn't dictate reliability.

How wild you have it set up does. Mild compression and cam will give you a mild engine regardless of CI.

Figure out your goals and go for them. The easiest way to piss money away is going 88, 95, 110, 124.

Go straight to what you want and do your research.
Merc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam
 
dog155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Windham,Maine
Posts: 3,084
dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
You could have a 145" and be as reliable as your 88". The engine size doesn't dictate reliability.

How wild you have it set up does. Mild compression and cam will give you a mild engine regardless of CI.

Figure out your goals and go for them. The easiest way to piss money away is going 88, 95, 110, 124.

Go straight to what you want and do your research.
Good advise Merc more people should heed it but a lot of things stand in the way.Trying to remember what I thought when I started might have been money or the most common who would ever need 120+ cubes.Oh how wrong I was!!
You hit it on the nailhead do your research and build a complete bike to complement the motor,by all means do not neglect the brakes.
__________________
06 RK,155" R&R TwinCam
00 Boss Hoss, 427" SB2 sbc/w Nos
05 RK project bike
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt
 
VDOP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 218
VDOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
To sum it up, how deep are your pockets? and are your arms long enough to reach the bottom? In the world of everything that has ever been modified, everybody wants 3 things. Fast, cheap and reliable. Unfortunately, you can only pick 2.
__________________
'06 FXDXB: 113", 11.5:1, cvo110 heads by Dan Vance, 266e, hpi 58/62, modified thunderheader, tts, dx bars and shocks, true track, buell xb wheels, chain drive, 3.17:1. 139h/130t sae.
Old 95" wheelie
'99 Buell X1 1250
'99 Hayabusa 1543
VDOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Louisville Ky
Posts: 136
dynajohn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Depends on who is building it and what your goals are. Anything over 98 inches will require the engine be pulled. My 03 TC 88 has been a 107, 117, 124 with zero failures. The 117 & 124 builds required a lot of money and a very skilled & experienced engine builder to make big reliable HP.

If I was doing it over again today I would stick to nothing over a 95 inch motor in the stock cases. Anything bigger than 98 inches will require pulling the engine. This is not because you can't build a reliable big displacement motor on stock TC 88 cases, it is that you can now buy a 120R from HD or a 124 from S&S for a lot less than it will cost you to get the same reliable result from a TC 88.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceMan View Post
Hello all. I am just wondering what the limits are for me. I would like to eventually increase the Cubic Inches of my T/C. I've read some conflicting info. on the forums, (which I am learning is....SADLY...the norm.) Anyway, does anybody know, (spelled K-N-O-W) OR....... E-X-P-E-R-I-E-N-C-E actually....

Not trying to be a jerk-o$F, just would like for the folks who actually know answer the question.

It may be a really stupid one as I understand that the Heads and cylinders can be manipulated quite a bit. I just figure that there have to be SOME extra metal in the 88" compared to the 103" or the 95" just due to stroke and rod length, etc......

I've wrenched on cars, big trucks and tanks so I have a small understanding of the internal combustion engine, but truly, I am ignorant on many aspects of the V-Twin......but want to learn...

So....how big can I go and keep a good degree of reliability and longevity?
AGAIN............RELIABILITY AND LONGEVITY....two most important factors for me. I am not a drag racer and could care less that another Harley can pull away from me at a red light in Panama City...........I just need to always enjoy my Harley starting up and getting me home...........fast.

I KNOW this makes sense to a few of you.............your the ones I want to help me if you will.......

Thank You for Your Time!

Last edited by dynajohn; 12-31-2012 at 09:15 AM.
dynajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt
 
05fatboy95's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hugo mn
Posts: 634
05fatboy95 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If your main concern is reliability then leave her at 88".. throw in a good exhaust, cam and air cleaner w/ tune and be happy.

If you dont care about being faster then the guy next to you, dont sink the money into your bike leave it and 88 and be happy, Once you start you cant stop. Its like crack it keeps dragging you back in for more.

Like they all said, you can go as big as your pockets will let you and if built correctly can still be very reliable.
__________________
2005 fatboy
BVBOB built 107"
built with all used parts.
05fatboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: montreal
Posts: 129
fidel wants to know Dino or Syn?
i av a 88 too
did 98 worth the upgrade compare to 95 what realibility difference between 95 and 98 heat issue???
fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

 
S&S Cycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Viola WI
Posts: 187
S&S Cycle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Generally it will cost about $100 per horse power. if you want 30 more HP your going to spend about $3k
__________________
S&S Cycle, Inc. Performance American made Motorcycle Parts for American V-Twins since 1958
http://www.sscycle.com
https://www.facebook.com/SScycle
866-244-2673
S&S Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
(C)2001-2012 V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved (C)2001- V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum