How far (BIG) can a man go, starting with an 88"? 107"? 121"? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

JuiceMan wants to know Dino or Syn?
How far (BIG) can a man go, starting with an 88"? 107"? 121"?

Hello all. I am just wondering what the limits are for me. I would like to eventually increase the Cubic Inches of my T/C. I've read some conflicting info. on the forums, (which I am learning is....SADLY...the norm.) Anyway, does anybody know, (spelled K-N-O-W) OR....... E-X-P-E-R-I-E-N-C-E actually....

Not trying to be a jerk-o$F, just would like for the folks who actually know answer the question.

It may be a really stupid one as I understand that the Heads and cylinders can be manipulated quite a bit. I just figure that there have to be SOME extra metal in the 88" compared to the 103" or the 95" just due to stroke and rod length, etc......

I've wrenched on cars, big trucks and tanks so I have a small understanding of the internal combustion engine, but truly, I am ignorant on many aspects of the V-Twin......but want to learn...

So....how big can I go and keep a good degree of reliability and longevity?
AGAIN............RELIABILITY AND LONGEVITY....two most important factors for me. I am not a drag racer and could care less that another Harley can pull away from me at a red light in Panama City...........I just need to always enjoy my Harley starting up and getting me home...........fast.

I KNOW this makes sense to a few of you.............your the ones I want to help me if you will.......

Thank You for Your Time!
JuiceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
0043--Licensed to Doof!

Geezer-Glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
95" safely and 98" with less reliability. 95 is tried and true. Mild cam, head work, and a good tune. Do your homework and research. There is tons of information in this and other forums. Buy a service manual for your bike. These things aren't rocket surgery, they're Harley's!

Only way to go to 103 or 107 is to stroke it. Now you're starting to talk mega $$$$.

I Doof, therefore I am.

D.F.F.D

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. THANK YOU.
Geezer-Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
95" safely and 98" with less reliability. 95 is tried and true. Mild cam, head work, and a good tune. Do your homework and research. There is tons of information in this and other forums. Buy a service manual for your bike. These things aren't rocket surgery, they're Harley's!

Only way to go to 103 or 107 is to stroke it. Now you're starting to talk mega $$$$.
yep 98 ci is as big as you can go with your 4" crankshaft and cyls without boring your cases.
you could put a 103 crank in and go 103 -107 ci without boring cases.
or you could keep you crank and bore your case and go 104-107 all bore.
or you can buy crank,cyls pistons case bore and go 113-124.like Geezer said lots of money.
if you got about 7000,00 to spare? bolt a 120r in it
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Merc63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
You could have a 145" and be as reliable as your 88". The engine size doesn't dictate reliability.

How wild you have it set up does. Mild compression and cam will give you a mild engine regardless of CI.

Figure out your goals and go for them. The easiest way to piss money away is going 88, 95, 110, 124.

Go straight to what you want and do your research.
Merc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
You could have a 145" and be as reliable as your 88". The engine size doesn't dictate reliability.

How wild you have it set up does. Mild compression and cam will give you a mild engine regardless of CI.

Figure out your goals and go for them. The easiest way to piss money away is going 88, 95, 110, 124.

Go straight to what you want and do your research.
Good advise Merc more people should heed it but a lot of things stand in the way.Trying to remember what I thought when I started might have been money or the most common who would ever need 120+ cubes.Oh how wrong I was!!
You hit it on the nailhead do your research and build a complete bike to complement the motor,by all means do not neglect the brakes.
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

VDOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
To sum it up, how deep are your pockets? and are your arms long enough to reach the bottom? In the world of everything that has ever been modified, everybody wants 3 things. Fast, cheap and reliable. Unfortunately, you can only pick 2.
'99 Hayabusa 1543
VDOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

dynajohn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Depends on who is building it and what your goals are. Anything over 98 inches will require the engine be pulled. My 03 TC 88 has been a 107, 117, 124 with zero failures. The 117 & 124 builds required a lot of money and a very skilled & experienced engine builder to make big reliable HP.

If I was doing it over again today I would stick to nothing over a 95 inch motor in the stock cases. Anything bigger than 98 inches will require pulling the engine. This is not because you can't build a reliable big displacement motor on stock TC 88 cases, it is that you can now buy a 120R from HD or a 124 from S&S for a lot less than it will cost you to get the same reliable result from a TC 88.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceMan View Post
Hello all. I am just wondering what the limits are for me. I would like to eventually increase the Cubic Inches of my T/C. I've read some conflicting info. on the forums, (which I am learning is....SADLY...the norm.) Anyway, does anybody know, (spelled K-N-O-W) OR....... E-X-P-E-R-I-E-N-C-E actually....

Not trying to be a jerk-o$F, just would like for the folks who actually know answer the question.

It may be a really stupid one as I understand that the Heads and cylinders can be manipulated quite a bit. I just figure that there have to be SOME extra metal in the 88" compared to the 103" or the 95" just due to stroke and rod length, etc......

I've wrenched on cars, big trucks and tanks so I have a small understanding of the internal combustion engine, but truly, I am ignorant on many aspects of the V-Twin......but want to learn...

So....how big can I go and keep a good degree of reliability and longevity?
AGAIN............RELIABILITY AND LONGEVITY....two most important factors for me. I am not a drag racer and could care less that another Harley can pull away from me at a red light in Panama City...........I just need to always enjoy my Harley starting up and getting me home...........fast.

I KNOW this makes sense to a few of you.............your the ones I want to help me if you will.......

Thank You for Your Time!

Last edited by dynajohn; 12-31-2012 at 09:15 AM.
dynajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

05fatboy95 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If your main concern is reliability then leave her at 88".. throw in a good exhaust, cam and air cleaner w/ tune and be happy.

If you dont care about being faster then the guy next to you, dont sink the money into your bike leave it and 88 and be happy, Once you start you cant stop. Its like crack it keeps dragging you back in for more.

Like they all said, you can go as big as your pockets will let you and if built correctly can still be very reliable.
05fatboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

fidel wants to know Dino or Syn?
i av a 88 too
did 98 worth the upgrade compare to 95 what realibility difference between 95 and 98 heat issue???
fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

S&S Cycle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Generally it will cost about $100 per horse power. if you want 30 more HP your going to spend about $3k
866-244-2673
S&S Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement