103 Cam Selection : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

JOKERS IMPALA wants to know Dino or Syn?
103 Cam Selection

A buddy of mine is looking for cam suggestion for a stock 2012 Street Glide, not sure if hes gonna do the heads yet or not.

Roland Sands A/C
Black Big Shot Staggereds
PCV & Autotune
Andrews 54H Cams
S&S 107" Big Bore
SE Clutch Spring
Battastinis Grips
Stage 4 Heads by Flo-Tec Racing

2014 Street Glide Special Charcoal Pearl
JOKERS IMPALA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

grof wants to know Dino or Syn?
cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKERS IMPALA View Post
A buddy of mine is looking for cam suggestion for a stock 2012 Street Glide, not sure if hes gonna do the heads yet or not.
I have SE 259 cams with SE air intake and D&D exhaust dino numbers are 110HP /118 TQ , very very happy. (no head work or TB)
grof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grof View Post
I have SE 259 cams with SE air intake and D&D exhaust dino numbers are 110HP /118 TQ , very very happy. (no head work or TB)
and it has high compression pistons. he is talking about a factory stock 103.

in a factory 103
andrews 57
cycle rama 575
SE204
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

petew wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had 255's installed in my 2011 RGC about 2000 miles from new.
I also did the exhaust, intake and tuner at 1000 miles from new, with 1K service.
It was better after the first round of changes, but when I did the cams a thousand miles later, the bike became much nicer to ride in every way! It jumped from stock to 92hp/110tq. No down shifting required.
That lasted for another 6K miles before I decided to get more power, so just a month before Sturgis this year, I weighed the cost/benefits of the 120R vs. Stage IV 103 Race Kit. I ended up going with the Stage IV Race Kit, couple of thousand cheaper, get it done in a day, and the 120R is still out there for my next power increase!
The Stage IV Race Kit dynoed out at 117hp/111tq and althoughI only netted a single pound foot of tq, however it gained a cool 25hp!
2011 FLTRX 103" Stage IV, HoleShot Choppers LED Lighting, SE 259E Cams, SE Super Tuner, SE Heavy Breather AC, SE CNC heads, SE 58MM Throttlebody, Vance&Hines Power Duals, and V&H Hi-Output Slip-ons, Renegade Racine Contrast Cut 21x3.5 17x6.25/ Avon 120/70x21" Avon 200/55x17" Dyno Tuned by HDHD 117HP 111TQ
petew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKERS IMPALA View Post
If I were to do nothing more than cams my choice would be the Tman 555 torquester hands down. A decent exhaust is a must no matter what cam he chooses, V&H power dual with a good slip on like the 4 inch Rineharts or Krusher mufflers always produce a nice torque curve. I dyno'd two last summer with this combo that did in the 110/120 range with the moco head exchange porting program.
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVBOB View Post
If I were to do nothing more than cams my choice would be the Tman 555 torquester hands down. A decent exhaust is a must no matter what cam he chooses, V&H power dual with a good slip on like the 4 inch Rineharts or Krusher mufflers always produce a nice torque curve. I dyno'd two last summer with this combo that did in the 110/120 range with the moco head exchange porting program.
Bob does the 555 net 100 hp on a factory 103 bolt in like the 57?
I seen them in the 95-96 hp area on a few sheets.

what makes the 555 worth 100.00 more than a andrews 57?
I think your right it is a good fit.
But
just wondering since you said hands down? you must have a good reason. what am I missing? I have never done one.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

S&S Cycle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Our Crane Cams 290-2

103 Engine, S&S CNC Heads,S&S 58mm TB, Crane 290-2, PT Header w/PT Muff Stealth AC STD Filter
71.35 F 29.37 in-Hg Humidity: 20 % SAE: 0.99 Average Gear Ratio: 48.21

Stock Baseline
MAX: 70.15hp 86.15 ft/lbs

After Modifications
MAX: 108.8hp 104.5ft/lbs

Tested on a Dynojet 250i
866-244-2673
S&S Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

dzlfitr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVBOB View Post
That cam in a stock 103 will put a smile on his face.

I wouldn't put too much stock in dyno numbers,
unless he runs balls out all the time.
dzlfitr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlfitr View Post
That cam in a stock 103 will put a smile on his face.

I wouldn't put too much stock in dyno numbers,
unless he runs balls out all the time.
You are correct to say that purchasing a cam based solely on the Peak Dyno number is irresponsible. As a consumer you should be looking at several major factors
  1. Riding Style
  2. Weight of rider and motorcycle
  3. Typical Riding conditions

If you ride 2 up on a full dresser and cross country tour, your best not to have a cam that makes huge HP at 6500rpm, you would be best served by making a flat line torque curve over a broad RPM range. If you are a throttle jockey burning tires from Street light to street light than maybe you want to wind it up and pull through the stratosphere. We at S&S try to provide the best cam profile as possible for given riding conditions. 8 world records at bonneville this year alone should speak for itself. Good luck in your search, we are here to help!

Dynometers are a very valuable tool for measuring the performance gain or loss from component changes. In our R&D facility we have many and couldn't do development work with out them. it would be like trying to build a house with out a tape measure!

Thanks for your support and Hope you choose S&S for your next build!
866-244-2673
Old 12-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S Cycle View Post
103 Engine, S&S CNC Heads,S&S 58mm TB, Crane 290-2, PT Header w/PT Muff Stealth AC STD Filter
71.35 F 29.37 in-Hg Humidity: 20 % SAE: 0.99 Average Gear Ratio: 48.21

Stock Baseline
MAX: 70.15hp 86.15 ft/lbs

After Modifications
MAX: 108.8hp 104.5ft/lbs

Tested on a Dynojet 250i
That's all fine. But he can make 8 less hp and 5 more tq. Just bolting a cam In Without head work.
SE 218
DR 218

Old 12-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
That's all fine. But he can make 8 less hp and 5 more tq. Just bolting a cam In Without head work.

I know my a$$ won't feel the difference between 8 more hp and 5 tq, but my wallet sure will miss the $$$ from buying the heads.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

551's in a 103

You may like the 551's as well
http://www.v-twinforum.com/gallery/s...to=11084&cat=2
866-244-2673
Old 12-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Dyna Ryda is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I just put a set of 551's in my friends 103 road king last weekend. They work really well with stock heads. Instant torque and throttle response.
Dyna Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S Cycle View Post
most guys wont like the 551 in a factory 103.
you can get the same guys that like the se 255's to like them,but then again you can pick up a 255 cheap, all day long ,from the guys that tried them and dont like them anymore .
dont get me wrong I like S&S stuff. but you guys really should develop some kind of cam for the factory 103's. a bolt in that isnt all low end tq,or needs compression to work decent.
SE 218
DR 218

Old 12-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Dyna Ryda is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
most guys wont like the 551 in a factory 103.
you can get the same guys that like the se 255's to like them,but then again you can pick up a 255 cheap, all day long ,from the guys that tried them and dont like them anymore .
dont get me wrong I like S&S stuff. but you guys really should develop some kind of cam for the factory 103's. a bolt in that isnt all low end tq,or needs compression to work decent.
something in between a 551 and a 585 would work well. The 551 isn't bad as long as u shift gears about 5000 rpm. With the 6 speed tranny it's pretty easy to stay in the power. I was pretty inpressed with just a bolt in cam, exhaust, a/c, and tuner. My 5 speed dyna I shift at 6000 with the 570 cams. Wonder how the 570 would do in a stock 103?
Dyna Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.