103 Cam Selection - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyna Ryda View Post
something in between a 551 and a 585 would work well. The 551 isn't bad as long as u shift gears about 5000 rpm. With the 6 speed tranny it's pretty easy to stay in the power. I was pretty inpressed with just a bolt in cam, exhaust, a/c, and tuner. My 5 speed dyna I shift at 6000 with the 570 cams. Wonder how the 570 would do in a stock 103?
Yes isn't that 570 the in between cam?
It does fine and scales right up with more compression and head work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
S&S
Welcome to this forum

About the 290-2, I used it years ago in a properly set up gear drive TC and unlike the S&S cams it had an aggressive ramp and was noisy. Is this new cam now under S&S control the same profile? Is it available in an easy start?

Regarding the S&S / Crane cams in general.
Do you offer custom grinds with or without the easy start feature? If so how does a company access those services? At some point in time are there plans to consolidate the lines so that the grinds don't compete with each other, IE Crane 290-2 and S&S 570?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by nw_guy4_fun; 12-08-2012 at 08:16 AM.
nw_guy4_fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

stogieluvr60 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKERS IMPALA View Post
A buddy of mine is looking for cam suggestion for a stock 2012 Street Glide, not sure if hes gonna do the heads yet or not.
As this is for a Street Glide and 2 up riding is most likely not a primary concern, my first choice would be the Woods 222 followed by the Andrews 57. Both are purpose built for the 103. The 222 is more $ than the 57 and the reason I place it before is because I have seen it make better numbers consistently on the forums I watch. In truth, there are so many to choose from but I believe based on dyno results, you can't go wrong with either one of these.
stogieluvr60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

torqueinc wants to know Dino or Syn?
as Bob said it will all depend on the exhaust and the cam pick will also change if he does heads or a tick more compression.

Have yer buddy decide on headwork and other components then much easier to pick a cam
torqueinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

KingofCubes wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
most guys wont like the 551 in a factory 103.
you can get the same guys that like the se 255's to like them,but then again you can pick up a 255 cheap, all day long ,from the guys that tried them and dont like them anymore .
dont get me wrong I like S&S stuff. but you guys really should develop some kind of cam for the factory 103's. a bolt in that isnt all low end tq,or needs compression to work decent.
Copied from the other 103 thread by RCSOFTAIL:
"Just converted a 96" to 103". Used a set of pistons from a factory 103" and bored the cylinders out. Pistons were .010 down below cylinder surface, so used .030 head gaskets. Used an Andrews 57h cam with factory push rods. No head work. Very impressive seat of the pants results for a very low cost build. Definately much stronger than the factory 103's I have ridden."

This also addresses the sloppy quench from the .055" head gasket of the 96" engine.

515-266-6381

www.kingofcubes.com

Last edited by KingofCubes; 12-08-2012 at 01:20 PM.
KingofCubes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
Bob does the 555 net 100 hp on a factory 103 bolt in like the 57?
I seen them in the 95-96 hp area on a few sheets.

what makes the 555 worth 100.00 more than a andrews 57?
I think your right it is a good fit.
But
just wondering since you said hands down? you must have a good reason. what am I missing? I have never done one.
The biggest reason is quiet running valve train and a nice cam to build on at a later date if headwork is desired. Not sure on the 100 horse thing. I also dyno'd a S&S 551 setup in a 2012 Street Glide and would have to setup the old computer as I don't remember the numbers, I do remember though that the owner was and still is very pleased with the results although he did do a bit of port cleanup and a decent valve job first.
The 551 may seem close to the 255 but they out produced the 255 every time I used them in a 96 inch motor. Not a huge HP producer but neither is the 255.
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVBOB View Post
The biggest reason is quiet running valve train and a nice cam to build on at a later date if headwork is desired. Not sure on the 100 horse thing. I also dyno'd a S&S 551 setup in a 2012 Street Glide and would have to setup the old computer as I don't remember the numbers, I do remember though that the owner was and still is very pleased with the results although he did do a bit of port cleanup and a decent valve job first.
The 551 may seem close to the 255 but they out produced the 255 every time I used them in a 96 inch motor. Not a huge HP producer but neither is the 255.

this one..
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #23 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

S&S Cycle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cams

Right now we have no plans to consolidate the two brands, yes we have competing lines of cams, but allows the customer to choose which they prefer.

The 290-2 has not changed, but we do have the HTC-302-2 and the new Rocket cams, by Chris Rivas.

Some grinds are available with or W/o EZ start. As far as EZ start goes for other companies, that would have to be negotiated.

The 302-2 is similar to our S&S 585 but shifts the RPM range down a few hundred RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_guy4_fun View Post
S&S
Welcome to this forum

About the 290-2, I used it years ago in a properly set up gear drive TC and unlike the S&S cams it had an aggressive ramp and was noisy. Is this new cam now under S&S control the same profile? Is it available in an easy start?

Regarding the S&S / Crane cams in general.
Do you offer custom grinds with or without the easy start feature? If so how does a company access those services? At some point in time are there plans to consolidate the lines so that the grinds don't compete with each other, IE Crane 290-2 and S&S 570?

Thanks in advance.
866-244-2673
S&S Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #24 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

S&S Cycle wants to know Dino or Syn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_guy4_fun View Post
Yes isn't that 570 the in between cam?
It does fine and scales right up with more compression and head work.
Yes the 570 and also the 583 are both between the 551 and 585 we also have the 302-2 on the crane brand that is simmilar to the 585 just shifts RPM down a few hundred RPM
866-244-2673
S&S Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
FNG :)

sforce68 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good cam for bone stock 103

I had Andrews 55HG gear drive cams put in my 2013 Road King Classic. I already had SE Extreme Billet A/C, D&D Fat Cat 2onto1 exhaust, and SE Super Tuner Pro. I did the cams only the compression is stock, valve springs are stock, and the throttle body is stock. Just cams, A/C, exhaust, and dyno tune.

It made 101HP, and 111TQ the bike really rips now, and the torque is over 100 from 2500 RPM. This thing is a hoot to ride, it will really stretch your arms out when you poor the coal to it! The thing made too much power for the stock clutch, and I had to put in a much stronger clutch spring to keep it from slipping in 5th gear.

Last edited by sforce68; 09-03-2014 at 06:32 PM.
sforce68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

tall terry wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did anybody else catch the 2012 RG with a stock 103, with high compression pistons a bone stock 103? Seems contradictory
tall terry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.