What about port matching? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
what were the engineers thinking when they designed the heads in particular the ports

Good question and simple answers
  • Meet tailpipe emission standards
  • Meet federal noise regulations
  • Provide an engine package that would meet or exceed warranty requirements
  • Design head/ports that provide adequate airflow and cooling for a stock 96 or 103" motor used in daily service
  • Use heads with "as-cast" ports with +or- .040" allowable core shift

Simpler answer
Ger er done (half done HD really) then up sell performance later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

Gaff wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bump up again

Brought this back up as, not sure I agree with any of the answers from last year.
Here we are another winter and I have this intake in my hand with some real cool heads, one up for sure from last year.
Well the intake to head and larger carb to the intake aint cutting it either.
So, if dyno's are not showing any better flow numbers due to port matching....what is the problem.
What is it they yall do?
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

Olivepearl wants to know Dino or Syn?
I hope this isn't to far off of the Reservation but what does it mean in the porting and flowing world when someone says the ports were quiet. Whats real good port velocity numbers on ported MVA heads? LOL... Or are these Highly secretive and gotta kill ya if I tell ya kind of stuff!

RT

Last edited by Olivepearl; 11-27-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Olivepearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
If the heads are the constraint no port matching will help at all. Got to address the problem not look all around it for the solution. AKA lookin for love in all the wrong places. The nuances, not the beef and potatoes..

Last edited by nw_guy4_fun; 11-26-2013 at 05:49 PM.
nw_guy4_fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

torqueinc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivepearl View Post
I hope this isn't to far off of the Reservation but what does it mean in the porting and flowing world when someone says the ports were quite. Whats real good port velocity numbers on ported MVA heads? LOL... Or are these Highly secretive and gotta kill ya if I tell ya kind of stuff!

RT
I am hereby not being a smart ass

Do you mean Quiet ?

Not sure its top secret porter stuff if someone comes to my shop with some junk....ill use the bench to explain why its junk and make it easy for them to understand.

Quiet is a term I would use for a port that sounds like one should....you do enough heads you know what they are supposed to sound like at different lifts or ported to a certain size....noisy or dirty ports have a different sound and it helps to test @ different test pressures at different lifts.....much easier to HEAR a port @8 or 10" and a good head porter IMO uses his ears as much as he does his eyes or any tool.

Some ports just sound bad no matter what you change and all different types of heads have a somewhat unique sound.

Port velocities will vary thruout the head and will be different and vary as much as 150-200 fps depending on how large the port is...etc

Long discussion
torqueinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

mattchalmers wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaff View Post
Brought this back up as, not sure I agree with any of the answers from last year.
Here we are another winter and I have this intake in my hand with some real cool heads, one up for sure from last year.
So, if dyno's are not showing any better flow numbers due to port matching....what is the problem.
What is it they yall do?
You can find allot of improvement simply by re-shaping the short
side turn and doing a really good valve job. Just these two things
will give you 20+% flow improvement.

Those shiney ports you see in that video? It's bullshit. one of my
friends from the old days called it "Fluff and buff". LOL It actually
hurts performance on the intake side. They do that crap to dazzle
and baffle john-q-public with BS. Jerry should know better.

But getting back to the origional question; Port matching does very
little, even on a set of good heads. Unless there's a huge mismatch
where the port is smaller than the intake flange, I wouldn't waste
my time. You can't measure any improvement on the F.B.

Last edited by mattchalmers; 11-27-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Port matching
mattchalmers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

KingofCubes wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaff View Post
What is it they yall do?
You can flow test the induction system on the flow bench to see the difference port matching makes. Then take it to the dyno. You have received feed back from some of the best experience in the business.

We think in ideals but live in reality. II

515-266-6381

www.kingofcubes.com

KingofCubes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

Olivepearl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueinc View Post
I am hereby not being a smart ass

Do you mean Quiet ?

Not sure its top secret porter stuff if someone comes to my shop with some junk....ill use the bench to explain why its junk and make it easy for them to understand.

Quiet is a term I would use for a port that sounds like one should....you do enough heads you know what they are supposed to sound like at different lifts or ported to a certain size....noisy or dirty ports have a different sound and it helps to test @ different test pressures at different lifts.....much easier to HEAR a port @8 or 10" and a good head porter IMO uses his ears as much as he does his eyes or any tool.

Some ports just sound bad no matter what you change and all different types of heads have a somewhat unique sound.

Port velocities will vary thruout the head and will be different and vary as much as 150-200 fps depending on how large the port is...etc

Long discussion
Thanks I appreciate the info.

RT
Olivepearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

mattchalmers wants to know where he is and how he got here
Listening to the port tells you allot about what's going on in there. Turbulence makes noise
and kills flow...
mattchalmers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.