Automatic compression release questions - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

Ziggy57 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurk_truk View Post

I agree with Wurk

120R !!!
Ziggy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
FNG :)

Genius43 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree re: manuals. I have been running them for 6 years, and the only thing to watch out for is that any compression release can become defective. If that happens, you can end up with a lean mixture, and all of the problems and damage that goes along with it. I clean them with solvent fairly often to prevent carbon buildup, and have been really pleased with the results.

Genius
Genius43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

INDEPENDENT 1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here's another +1 with Bob and Jim. I just installed a set of 57's and Bean's heads in a 103 for a customer and its an excellent combination for a 103 IMO.
INDEPENDENT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

Inspector 12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have manuals in my stage II 103 in my street glide, they are hardly visible and I don't get any of the gas / venting stains you mention.

I also have an SE 120R in my 06 dyna that we had to manually switch off the starter relay as the 06 ECM didn't support ACR. Two years later and still working like a champ.

06 Street Bob, SE 120R, VH Propipe HO, SERT, 139.92 hp, 133.70 tq.
Inspector 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

0ldhippie wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the HD ARCs installed along wit the 103 & 54h. It was a PITA but I like them way better than manuals which are just a pain everytime ya start up.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 11-12-2012 at 11:45 AM.
0ldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

dortiz64 wants to know Dino or Syn?
compression releases

pretty satisfied with my manual releases. routine to push them in every time i get off the bike so they will be set when i start the bike. No problems after 2 years very low priced alternative if you installed stage 2 big bore with the 255 cams on your 96"

2009 XR1200 - D&D exhaust, XIEDS, black diamond collection pegs, and grips. Luggage, sissy bar, Harley black LED headlight assembly, mini sport windshield
dortiz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

qtrracer wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm pretty darn happy with my SE ACR's, had 'em for 3 years and they had never let me down in any way, shape or form. Press the starter and away we go!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #23 (permalink)

doug7x wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well, folks...thanks for all your input. Seems like everone is pretty much happy with what they're running.( it's supposed to work like that, right?) I made up my mind...decided to go with the ACRs & slave them off the solenoid. I think I'll like the looks better, & I won't have to remember (this is sometimes a problem for me LOL) to activate the manuals. PLUS, I won't have to drop the extra $50-$70 bucks for the harness. Thanks again & enjoy the ride.
doug7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good move, they work well
Old 01-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #25 (permalink)

Next step

Folks, thanks for all the input...as you read this, Bean probably has my heads, & I'm sure that I'll like the results. Now, after several phone conversations with him, Bean has convinced (educated) me that I'm going to need a tuner with more capabilities that the Terry's TV-3 that I'm currently running. I was all set to buy the TTS Mastertune, & after reading the instructions, I feel FAIRLY confident that I'd be able to figure out how to use it. (I still can't accept the fact that nowadays you need a computer to properly jet a bike.)...only problem is that to autotune with the TTS, I'd need to buy a laptop & haul it around with me to log data. Bean also mentioned the new S.E. Supertuner, & that it has the capability of logging data WITHOUT having a laptop. This sounds like the way I'd like to go, but I can't find the users instructions for it on line, ESPECIALLY, how to use the VCI module to log & use the data for tuning. I'd REALLY hate to pop for it & find out later that I can't get it to work, & I'm also not crazy about having to buy a laptop....SOOOO...I'm hoping that:
A)...someone can point me at the S.E. supertuner user's instructions, or...
B)...suggest another tuner with the same capabilities ...OR
C)...ANY OTHER THOUGHTS
BTW...it is POSSIBLE that I may, in the future, go to the 107" kit, so whatever I do, I'd like to be able to support additional inches....thanks in advance....Doug
another BTW...if I DID go to 107, would my stock FI throttle body work, or would I have to go bigger???....thanks again for the input.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

Olivepearl wants to know Dino or Syn?
I went ACR's and haven't looked back. getting the harness and wiring it to the ECM was easy... and i am an idiot when it comes to ANYTHING ELECTRICAL! plus the local dealer flashed my ECM for $40

RT
Olivepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #27 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
One of my bikes has both ACR and manuals just in case.There was a time when the ACR were not reliable.Neither have given one bit of trouble.
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug7x View Post
Folks, thanks for all the input...as you read this, Bean probably has my heads, & I'm sure that I'll like the results. Now, after several phone conversations with him, Bean has convinced (educated) me that I'm going to need a tuner with more capabilities that the Terry's TV-3 that I'm currently running. I was all set to buy the TTS Mastertune, & after reading the instructions, I feel FAIRLY confident that I'd be able to figure out how to use it. (I still can't accept the fact that nowadays you need a computer to properly jet a bike.)...only problem is that to autotune with the TTS, I'd need to buy a laptop & haul it around with me to log data. Bean also mentioned the new S.E. Supertuner, & that it has the capability of logging data WITHOUT having a laptop. This sounds like the way I'd like to go, but I can't find the users instructions for it on line, ESPECIALLY, how to use the VCI module to log & use the data for tuning. I'd REALLY hate to pop for it & find out later that I can't get it to work, & I'm also not crazy about having to buy a laptop....SOOOO...I'm hoping that:
A)...someone can point me at the S.E. supertuner user's instructions, or...
B)...suggest another tuner with the same capabilities ...OR
C)...ANY OTHER THOUGHTS
BTW...it is POSSIBLE that I may, in the future, go to the 107" kit, so whatever I do, I'd like to be able to support additional inches....thanks in advance....Doug
another BTW...if I DID go to 107, would my stock FI throttle body work, or would I have to go bigger???....thanks again for the input.
If your gonna play tuner, look at power vision.
I can't see using anything else if you want to just get a decent running bike.
Of course I can't for the life of me understand the logic behind sending heads off , installing cams and bumping compression, and just doing. Street tune. Your head work and cams should net you 5-10 hp. But it has to be tuned correctly , if you want to maximize your investment ? Get if tuned by someone that can find that 5-10 hp gain.
The bigger you go the bigger the gain..... Or loss.
I had a 117 lately that gained 30 hp (actually 28)over its homegrown tune. There is more to tuning. Bike than strapping a laptop on Nd collecting data .
But if you want to continue doing this yourself ? And I understand this need to be hands on . Seriously look at the power vision . It has everything you need to street tune . Other than a way to measure gains from your tuning strategy .
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
If your gonna play tuner, look at power vision.
I can't see using anything else if you want to just get a decent running bike.
Of course I can't for the life of me understand the logic behind sending heads off , installing cams and bumping compression, and just doing. Street tune. Your head work and cams should net you 5-10 hp. But it has to be tuned correctly , if you want to maximize your investment ? Get if tuned by someone that can find that 5-10 hp gain.
The bigger you go the bigger the gain..... Or loss.
I had a 117 lately that gained 30 hp (actually 28)over its homegrown tune. There is more to tuning. Bike than strapping a laptop on Nd collecting data .
But if you want to continue doing this yourself ? And I understand this need to be hands on . Seriously look at the power vision . It has everything you need to street tune . Other than a way to measure gains from your tuning strategy .
Hey, Stroker...I've been involved in a pretty long thread on the HTT board about this...I was going to go with the SEPST, but I've decided to go with the PV....I'm gonna get it from FM, so I can also get Jamie's tech support. I DO want to learn how to expertly tune the EFI, but for now, I want to get a "safely rich" map to break in the top end with, then I'll tweak from there. My eventual plan is to use closed loop just in the light load/rpm cruise ranges, & open loop for performance everwhere else. If I can't get it where I want it, I can always try to find a tuner later, but like I said...I DO want to learn this.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #30 (permalink)

LostOne wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug7x View Post
Well, folks...thanks for all your input. Seems like everone is pretty much happy with what they're running.( it's supposed to work like that, right?) I made up my mind...decided to go with the ACRs & slave them off the solenoid. I think I'll like the looks better, & I won't have to remember (this is sometimes a problem for me LOL) to activate the manuals. PLUS, I won't have to drop the extra $50-$70 bucks for the harness. Thanks again & enjoy the ride.
did you get this installed and working? im about to do the same and want a little reassurance as to this setup for ACRs thanks in advance!

LostOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement