Se 120r ... fyi : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Totenkopf is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Se 120r ... fyi

Just a heads up on one ill 120R in our area. Otto just repaired a SE 120R crate motor that has only 1200 miles on it and this is the second time a top end was done on it. It's been at a dealer and they replaced the pistons and cylinders the first time a while ago and sent it on it's way. It was "okay" for a few hundred miles and the noise came back again. The dealer got Otto involved and the diagnosis is poor piston to cylinder fit. Out of round cylinders that varied in piston fit from 0.0035" to 0.0065". Just wanted to let you know what we're seeing.

Totenkopf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Interesting. I was at an inde shop Sat., and the guy told me he recently had a 120R in that had slipped the flywheels. Said it was the first 120R he'd personally seen do that, but the second he's heard of in this area.
Torq Monster Motorworks
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

guydoc77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
And so it begins.
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
R&R Stage 3 heads, .030 gasket, 82cc chambers
Trued, welded, and balanced crank by Hyperformance
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
Supermeg with open cap and 15 discs
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
Aspen White (got it for my wife)
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!
guydoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Tote . Do you guys know how it was tuned?
I know of one that popped a head gasket. It had to be surfaced.
This guy has had three diff tunes from dealerships , running sepst closed loop.
Were the clys / pistons scuffed? Smooth? Beatup?
In yours and or ottos opinion what was the Root cause ?
Out of round . But was the egg first or the chicken?
1200 miles isn't anything but the 110 Cvo bikes could roast theirselves that quick if you slapped a stage 1 pipe and breather on them and a half azz tune/stage I flash / or no tune at all
Keep us posted
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
Tote . Do you guys know how it was tuned?
I know of one that popped a head gasket. It had to be surfaced.
This guy has had three diff tunes from dealerships , running sepst closed loop.
Were the clys / pistons scuffed? Smooth? Beatup?
In yours and or ottos opinion what was the Root cause ?
Out of round . But was the egg first or the chicken?
1200 miles isn't anything but the 110 Cvo bikes could roast theirselves that quick if you slapped a stage 1 pipe and breather on them and a half azz tune/stage I flash / or no tune at all
Keep us posted
I didn't get those details, Otto mentioned it in passing Sat. when I was at the shop and we were working on my ACR issue on my 117. It was in the context of why he prefers to build the 120's with 0.010" over pistons and actually fit the cylinders to the pistons and control it to a much higher degree than the production stuff. His 120 builds are holding up really well. The crate motors are hit or miss. If I can find out more, I'll definitely pass it on as everyone needs to be aware of these incidents.

By the way, we had a really interesting discussion on the issues on the S&S easy start cams but that is a whole other thread discussion.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

CowboyTutt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
By the way, we had a really interesting discussion on the issues on the S&S easy start cams but that is a whole other thread discussion.
OK Tote, you baited the question and so I have to ask even at the risk of "high jacking" this thread. Maybe post another thread on the new topic as you see fit, but I need to know more about this subject as I have a set of ES cams now and considering other new Crane Cams variants in my future with the ES feature. So far, been very happy with my 585 ES cams at all sorts of elevations from sea level where I live to 10.2 K feet.

Help me out here Pard!

Regards as always,

-Tutt
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Still the Same!

wurk_truk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the Heads Up, Tote!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTutt View Post
OK Tote, you baited the question and so I have to ask even at the risk of "high jacking" this thread. Maybe post another thread on the new topic as you see fit, but I need to know more about this subject as I have a set of ES cams now and considering other new Crane Cams variants in my future with the ES feature. So far, been very happy with my 585 ES cams at all sorts of elevations from sea level where I live to 10.2 K feet.

Help me out here Pard!

Regards as always,

-Tutt
Here's the general idea....

Twinkies use a small diameter roller in the lifter. There is concern that the extra "bumping" (as opposed to a ramp) of them will eventually accelerate their demise. A hollow camshaft with internal moving parts from the counter-balance trigger mechanism, shaft and spring may not be a good long term idea in the real world with all the scenarios ever observed in these motors with self inflicted debris, owner lack of maintenance and abuse. Adding mechanical complexity internally in the motor just seems counter-intuitive over the long haul.

So, just applying healthy skepticism based on 30 yrs of v-twin experience and not blindly believing all the marketing hype. In the long term, the skepticism may ease, as the deployed ES units in the field get used in the broad base of the real world but we think the jury is still out.

By comparison, mechanical CR's are dead simple to use and service. (ACR's are more complicated and would be prone to more issues we think.) It just seems that the ES cam solution is a complicated solution by comparison to the simple mechanical external CR's.

Just another opinion.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Interesting idea. I have about 22K on my B lifters and ES 585 camshaft. So far so good I think, but the lifters may not "telegraph" when they are going to "let go". Any warning signs to look for? Thanks Tote! -Tutt
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
HMMM

We have done a BUNCH of these 120R and with 15PSI of boost.. No cylinder issues what so ever. I have to wonder about tune.. and flywheel out.. I read and hear about guys whinning that the bike will ping in 6th gear at 35 MPH.. .. some guys should not own a HD..

From what we have seen the 120R as a crate is not what I would call a bad engine. There are a few things that I think can be tweaked but overall they are running well.. But we all know how a tune and how a person rides a bike will effect the end result.. Please keep us posted as to what you find out..

Last edited by HDWRENCH; 10-09-2012 at 06:55 PM.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
OUCH! That hurt

wfolarry wants to know Dino or Syn?
If he fixed it did he put it on his dyno & check it? Hate to see it come back to him 1200 miles from now.
I think the easy starts is a good idea that will prove itself over time. I was at S&S last year and asked about them. They showed me their setup & how they check them. Looked good to me.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Hi Steve and Larry,

I didn't get the details on the state of tune of that bike. The bike was at a dealer in our area, Otto was called in to help solve the issue. He did not take possesion of the bike, he figured out that the noise was pistons not fitting correctly. The dealer did the disassembly and he fixed it with 10 overs and correctly fitting cylinders back at his shop. If it is a bad tune, the owner needs to see Otto or Bryan and get the tune sorted out before it does more bad things. We have seen enough bad cyl/piston fits of that bore size to know that the production tolerance of those is variable. The thing is with these, the fit is not so bad that it surfaces immediately, the rings have to wear a bit, then it becomes evident.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks for your input Larry and Tote too! -Tutt
Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

HDTC882000 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have 8k on my out of the crate motor, I guess Im gonna have to tear it apart this winter

NOW IT'S A 120R

V&H Pro Pipe HO
Barnett Scorpion Clutch
HPI 58mm TB
5.3 gps FI
SERT, Tuned by Big Boyz

Seacoast HD Dyno #'s

133 hp
127 ft lbs tq

HDTC882000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Ando wants to know Dino or Syn?
When I was talking to my local stealer about putting my new GMR- CP pistons he suggested that a .010" oversize was the go to ensure the poor QA was not an issue

Like I said that was from a stealers mech with a descent Rep

Glad I did

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.