Se 120r ... fyi - Page 7 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #91 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
There is a lot to be said about the right exhaust and tuning it to the motor.Both my bikes have tuned true duals and mufflers that let these motors breath,with just enough back pressure to not lose the grunt.All engines are basically the same air/fuel in, air/crap out.The better the motor performs this task the more you feel it in the seat of your assless chaps.Whoops, here comes that biker side!
Dog
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #92 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thumper49 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzmisl View Post
That's some kick ass power out of the S&S. Are they welding the cranks on those? If not any concerns?
You can spec anything you want from S&S on these 07 and up 124's and yes i had the crank welded. Also opted for the 660 Cams and springs Vs the 640 cams they come with.

Fred

A pair of duece 08 RG's
2011 CVO Ultra
09 CVO Fatbob
53 Panhead
Thumper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #93 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

vanslam wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have over 12,000 on my 120R and no problems. Took it apart last year and everything looked fine. No need to do it this year.
vanslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #94 (permalink)
FNG :)

cpooser wants to know Dino or Syn?
120R problems

I was really pleased with the power in my 120r for about 2 months, then one of the flywheesl came loose. I found out that the flywheels are just pinned not welded, so I had them send it out to get it balanced, trued, and welded. Costing me about $2,000 and Harley factory told me they wouldn't warranty it.
cpooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #95 (permalink)
IronButt

torqueinc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVBOB View Post
Why wait? this was on a 117, can only imagine the 120 will do better.

Compression ratio on that one ?
torqueinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #96 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpooser View Post
I was really pleased with the power in my 120r for about 2 months, then one of the flywheesl came loose. I found out that the flywheels are just pinned not welded, so I had them send it out to get it balanced, trued, and welded. Costing me about $2,000 and Harley factory told me they wouldn't warranty it.
Oh they would warranty it if it were mine, believe me! Unless there area some type of extenuating circumstances...
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:00 AM   #97 (permalink)
IronButt

cruzmisl wants to know Dino or Syn?
They wouldn't fix it no matter how hard you cried. Its clearly designated as race use only with no warranty. Hell! I can't even get them to fix a wrinkly leather bag that is still under warranty
cruzmisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #98 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
They wouldn't fix it no matter how hard you cried. Its clearly designated as race use only with no warranty. Hell! I can't even get them to fix a wrinkly leather bag that is still under warranty
I don't know... I have a pretty damn good track record on getting things done that I was told wasn't going to happen. Might not happen within a week or a month, but eventually I get what I want. It's all a matter of how you approach it.
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #99 (permalink)
IronButt

You're better than me I eventually got the dealer to swap the bags out when he gets a new bike in but that still hasn't happened. Either way the MoCo was less than helpful.

Stories about spun cranks on the 120R makes me fell better about spending the money on getting my crank welded, plugged and balanced.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #100 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

dynajohn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Sounds to me like a good reason to opt for the new S&S 124. You get a taillight warranty from HD on the 120R and a possible crank problem. S&S gives you a one year warranty and I will bet no crank problems.
dynajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #101 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

S&S Cycle wants to know Dino or Syn?
EZ Start cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Here's the general idea....

Twinkies use a small diameter roller in the lifter. There is concern that the extra "bumping" (as opposed to a ramp) of them will eventually accelerate their demise. A hollow camshaft with internal moving parts from the counter-balance trigger mechanism, shaft and spring may not be a good long term idea in the real world with all the scenarios ever observed in these motors with self inflicted debris, owner lack of maintenance and abuse. Adding mechanical complexity internally in the motor just seems counter-intuitive over the long haul.

So, just applying healthy skepticism based on 30 yrs of v-twin experience and not blindly believing all the marketing hype. In the long term, the skepticism may ease, as the deployed ES units in the field get used in the broad base of the real world but we think the jury is still out.

By comparison, mechanical CR's are dead simple to use and service. (ACR's are more complicated and would be prone to more issues we think.) It just seems that the ES cam solution is a complicated solution by comparison to the simple mechanical external CR's.

Just another opinion.
Just to put an end to this speculation, we "REAL World" Tested EZ start cams in bikes for several years, we did over 100,000 starts on each EZ start cam, in "Real World" motorcycles. We personally road tested bikes around the country with these cams, using 124" Triple spring .640 lift cams. This technology and design has been in use since the 1960's in other applications. We have been selling these for about 4 years, zero failures. We test, test and retest, we don't speculate. The detent is also at the heel of the cam were spring pressure is lowest, it is only being bumped on start and runs freely while engine is over 750rpm. We started a bike every minute 10 hours a day at every major rally for an entire year just to prove a point. We averaged like 4000 starts at Sturgis alone.

From what we tested, lets just say you start your bike 4 times a day, every day. (7days a week) for 365 days a year, that would be 5824 starts per year, and if your cams only lasted 100k starts (which our testing lasted longer) , that would mean you should replace them after 17 years!

So put your mind at ease these WORK! I use them in my own personally bike and would never go back to a manual compression release ever again. Also All electronic compression release will fail. Yes All will fail!

So ease your mind!
866-244-2673
S&S Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #102 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynajohn View Post
Sounds to me like a good reason to opt for the new S&S 124. You get a taillight warranty from HD on the 120R and a possible crank problem. S&S gives you a one year warranty and I will bet no crank problems.
Yeah you're right but it wasn't out when I bought my 120. Also I want a sleeper. It's kind of hard to do that with the S&S.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #103 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Stories about spun cranks on the 120R
how many documented ?
how many are/were to promote labor.
if I had a 120 r crank shifted ,I would take a video. the first one to produce a video will go down in harley history..so to speak
rredneck said it best two years ago.
Quote:
if the 120R can hold up under you (me)..... the engine builders will be begging for oil changes.
now the s&s 124 comes around,and puts icing on the cake.
crate motors are here to stay.
you either embrace it or instill Fear
at least S&S doesn't have to overcome the fear Headquarters (Doug Coffey) used with SE bigger bore cylinders.
the crank slipping fear issue will aways be there.
if you can get the motor tore down to weld a crank, the labor is the same as a new build. sell a few more parts while its apart ? and there you go ...revenue
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #104 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

DURWOOD wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
how many documented ?
how many are/were to promote labor.
if I had a 120 r crank shifted ,I would take a video. the first one to produce a video will go down in harley history..so to speak
rredneck said it best two years ago.

now the s&s 124 comes around,and puts icing on the cake.
crate motors are here to stay.
you either embrace it or instill Fear
at least S&S doesn't have to overcome the fear Headquarters (Doug Coffey) used with SE bigger bore cylinders.
the crank slipping fear issue will aways be there.
if you can get the motor tore down to weld a crank, the labor is the same as a new build. sell a few more parts while its apart ? and there you go ...revenue
I agree,show me some pics of a scissored 120r crank...Until I see one I call BS on this as well...
I personally believe there are builders out there that will spread this kind of propaganda just to gain business.....

Soooooo,any pics?

John 3:16
DURWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #105 (permalink)
IronButt

I hear that!! I too wondered if it was just a money grab. I did it only for piece of mind even though it may not be warranted.

Probably the same reason I pay insurance premiums. Knowing my **** luck I'd be the first "documented" one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement