Se 120r ... fyi - Page 6 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #76 (permalink)
IronButt

INDEPENDENT 1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the link, Don. What are you thoughts on the reflective coating? What are your dislikes about it? Don't sugar coat it.
INDEPENDENT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #77 (permalink)
Just pidlin'

CHIPMAKER wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
that's irrelevant when you are honing to precise bore tolerances.
Not to take anything away from your procedure, and expertise, just wondering what happens to the bore under operating conditions.
As a machinist for 3 decades, I understand your effort to make it as good as you can.

In any confrontation between knowledge and ignorance, ignorance has the edge,
because knowledge is limited, but ignorance is not......

just pidlin
CHIPMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #78 (permalink)
FNG

78738 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPMAKER View Post
Not to take anything away from your procedure, and expertise, just wondering what happens to the bore under operating conditions.
As a machinist for 3 decades, I understand your effort to make it as good as you can.
What is your experience boring cylinders to precise standards? Would you part with your procedure?

Not being coy, just curious.
78738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #79 (permalink)
Just pidlin'

CHIPMAKER wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bore, then hone like everyone else, just wondering what happens to bore at operating temp. not that any of us can do anything about it.

In any confrontation between knowledge and ignorance, ignorance has the edge,
because knowledge is limited, but ignorance is not......

just pidlin
CHIPMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #80 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

SavageChopper wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like this forums just for this reason: heads-up to potential problems. While everyone might not agree, its nice to know potential pitfalls to any purchases or upgrades I may make. My Fat Bob gave me 20,000 trouble free miles in no small part because of the things I learned from this site. I hope to get more miles from my new Street Glide. Keep posting guys and don't let naysayers discourage you.
SavageChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #81 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

aviscomi wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofCubes View Post
Steve, could you please put an explicit number on what a Bunch of 120R's is, and how many of them you have seen boosted?
Over 4k miles on my Procharged 120R @ 8lbs boost and haven't had a single issue except for shredding the rear tire.
4-SALE 2012 StreetGlide Tequila Sunrise/HD Orange-Procharged SE 120R Crate Motor, SE Plates & VPC, SE Pro Tuner, Dragula 2/1 Exhaust, Legends Air Ride Suspension, Dakota Digital Gauges, UltraCool Oil Cooler, Progressive MonoTube Front Suspension-2", HD Stretched Bags, Coastal Moto 21" Genesis Front Wheel
2010 StreetGlide Scarlet Red-Rinehart Extreme True Duals, ThunderMax, FM SE Stage 1 A/C
2002 Ducati Monster 620 -Micron Exhaust
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/aviscomi/MAG.png[/IMG]
aviscomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #82 (permalink)
FNG :)

cpooser wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am getting a severe shake starting at 2,800 RPM with about 2,000 miles on the engine. After checking everything outside out, my mechanic thinks I have loose flywheels too. I told him today to take it down and let's see what it really is. Harley was informed about it a week ago and has not responed yet!
cpooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #83 (permalink)
IronButt

cruzmisl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpooser View Post
I am getting a severe shake starting at 2,800 RPM with about 2,000 miles on the engine. After checking everything outside out, my mechanic thinks I have loose flywheels too. I told him today to take it down and let's see what it really is. Harley was informed about it a week ago and has not responed yet!
Is this a 120R?? I'm guessing not since the motor has no warranty therefore no reason to contact Harley.
cruzmisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #84 (permalink)
FNG :)

rtwind wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Just a heads up on one ill 120R in our area. Otto just repaired a SE 120R crate motor that has only 1200 miles on it and this is the second time a top end was done on it. It's been at a dealer and they replaced the pistons and cylinders the first time a while ago and sent it on it's way. It was "okay" for a few hundred miles and the noise came back again. The dealer got Otto involved and the diagnosis is poor piston to cylinder fit. Out of round cylinders that varied in piston fit from 0.0035" to 0.0065". Just wanted to let you know what we're seeing.

Otto does excellent work!!
rtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #85 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Gee tote. I was drinkin beer while loadung the scrap trailer with handicap rails. Logged in and this is first topic i clickrd on. You sound like a redneck from da past dude!!!!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #86 (permalink)
extant

OZNOG wants to know Dino or Syn?
[QUOTE=Totenkopf;2184935] Out of round cylinders that varied in piston fit from 0.0035" to 0.0065".[/QUOTE]

If I didn't know better, I'd a thunk they were made by Axtell...

[QUOTE=claydbal;2199150]Gee tote. I was drinkin beer while loadung the scrap trailer with handicap rails. Logged in and this is first topic i clickrd on. You sound like a redneck from da past dude!!!![/QUOTE]

Good to see you back posting here young man.

1966 XLCH

2006 Ultra Classic

2006 Street Bob 120"
140 HP / 144 TQ SAE
9F gear-Axtell-S&S/Darkhorse
HPI 58/62-TTS-Jagg 10 Row
True Track-Superbrace
Boarzilla QB

OZNOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #87 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Good to see you back posting here young man.

SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #88 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thumper49 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Tote's info is valueable and there has been issues with this non warr engine.

I have close to 2k miles on a 120R at 900 miles i installed the 120rx kit Ran against another 120r ar Mid Michigan Motorplex that dropped his Cam chest pin during staging tearing the oil pump to pieces, I would say for the most part the issues i have seen is sadly the dealers have no good Map Downloads or exper for that matter with these crate engines .

Another friend opted to have one installed at a local dealer and got a whopping 123 rwhp out of it , thats just piss poor tuning of a bike and engine these engines with good map dowload should run around 128-129 hp installed the RX kit with Hurricane heads and 149rwhp is what i have .

This year using the 124 from S&S and Star in another RG build Viola fax'ed the numbers on mine with SAB2 heads at 170hp only scary part is all those S&S parts are loaded into the 120R cases .

I brought this up in another thread since i have done both engines and have the bills to back them up although 3k dollars more for the SAB2 heads and the 70mm Throttle Hog you cant buy 20hp for 3k just fact.

Fred
Thumper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #89 (permalink)
IronButt

cruzmisl wants to know Dino or Syn?
That's some kick ass power out of the S&S. Are they welding the cranks on those? If not any concerns?
cruzmisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #90 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
I have close to 2k miles on a 120R at 900 miles i installed the 120rx kit Ran against another 120r ar Mid Michigan Motorplex that dropped his Cam chest pin during staging tearing the oil pump to pieces, I would say for the most part the issues i have seen is sadly the dealers have no good Map Downloads or exper for that matter with these crate engines .
there have been several cam snap rings breaking on any motor.
it has nothing to do with the 120 r per say. it the wavy snap ring design, that is being used now. a 117 I buildt had one brake in two pcs. one stayed on the cam,the other locked up the thayer oil pump. sucks for sure,but is not just a 120 r problem.
yes downloads suck ,and yours for your 124 wont be correct either,if you just try and load it and run. will it run ? yes.

Another friend opted to have one installed at a local dealer and got a whopping 123 rwhp out of it , thats just piss poor tuning of a bike and engine these engines with good map dowload should run around 128-129 hp installed the RX kit with Hurricane heads and 149rwhp is what i have .
with a chit exhaust that is about right 124hp. seen several of them go there . you can only get so much out of some pipes.

with 27,000 on mine it is still making the same hp or better than when it was new.

three diff exhaust
RH/TD'S blue
Drago Fang 2-1 green
wegner 2-1 red

SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement