S&S 124 for 2007 & UP Twincams - Page 8 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #106 (permalink)
FNG

78738 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I didn't know they authorized TTS as a viable tuning tool? There are a few guys on he board you could pm your results, that could help you out discreetly; I'm not one of them mind you.

Last edited by 78738; 01-07-2013 at 11:59 AM.
78738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #107 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper49 View Post
Well thanks for the kinder words i think honeslty Justin "Beatle" has tuned bikes for 12 years hes back a the HD dealer and not using his equipment isnt something he is use to .

S&S has a Auth tuning center in Monroe E&B cycle might take it down there in the next weeks again agree on more than one dyno.

We shall see in the upcoming weeks.

Fred
It deserves more than a V tune. If that is all you used ? was the stock narrow bands and did v tunes ? You never will get WOT correct.
Your gonna have to do some real sampling with wide bands , to dial that beast in.
Something like this . Then forget about those narrow bands.
I think what you are seeing is the sepst smart tune lets you lock wot open loop into 14.6 Afr for tuning , and gives you ve corrections at wot. ( way too lean to tune that motor at wot) but it can be done.
That's why you got the sespt and your -120rx dialed in.
With the tts it won't sample anything over 80kpa with the v tune function. So it's a guess what wot ve's are.
If your going to play with v tune , you still need some kind of external sampling to do wot.
Hope that helps. ... I was afraid this was going to happen.

SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #108 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thumper49 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
It deserves more than a V tune. If that is all you used ? was the stock narrow bands and did v tunes ? You never will get WOT correct.
Your gonna have to do some real sampling with wide bands , to dial that beast in.
I think what you are seeing is the sepst smart tune lets you lock wot open loop into 14.6 Afr for tuning , and gives you ve corrections at wot. ( way too lean to tune that motor at wot) but it can be done.
With the tts it won't sample anything over 80kpa with the v tune function. So it's a guess what wot ve's are.
If your going to play with v tune , you still need some kind of external sampling to do wot.

Jim
I brought two Bosch Wide bands in i use and thats what we hooked up we were not using the narrow bands, Honeslty Beatle much like you and thinks like you was making manuel changes to files and then reruning with that file, like he said honeslty another three hours with there stuff and alot more could have been done, however i have the 4th file i just have to scan and fax to you so you can look at it.

Your help goes beyond what most would even think about talking to you now even on the phone we both understand each other alot better which many things just cant be worded right here.

I think once you see the 4th file you will see what i did alot of heat in there room and again there great people and a good dealership that has went above and beyond for me but that doesnt change there Dyno Jet being older with upgrades over the years its still old and alot of hours on it. It allowed to get some base tuning in but certainly not what this engine is gonna need.

Send the file soon, and thanks again for all your help ...
Fred

A pair of duece 08 RG's
2011 CVO Ultra
09 CVO Fatbob
53 Panhead
Thumper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #109 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

At least you got it safe for now.
It will come around.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #110 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
[QUOTE=strokerjlk;2212385]It deserves more than a V tune. If that is all you used ? was the stock narrow bands and did v tunes ? You never will get WOT correct.

Ditto that, V-tune a high dollar 124? that should be punishable by law. The fact that the company even makes claims that the open areas can be interpolated (guessed) is total bullshit. Get that bike on a dyno where someone will spend however much time it takes to get both the timing and fuel correct and do this great motor justice.
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #111 (permalink)
IronButt

cruzmisl wants to know Dino or Syn?
I hear torque monster in Lapeer really knows their stuff. May want to look into them as an option
cruzmisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #112 (permalink)
IronButt

Burch753 wants to know Dino or Syn?
biting my fingernails.....
Constantly under revision...
Burch753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #113 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

[quote=BVBOB;2212491]
Quote:

Ditto that, V-tune a high dollar 124? that should be punishable by law. The fact that the company even makes claims that the open areas can be interpolated (guessed) is total bullshit. Get that bike on a dyno where someone will spend however much time it takes to get both the timing and fuel correct and do this great motor justice.
Point well Taken Justin and Phil look like my best bet its a 2 hour pull no matter were i take it in Michigan read alot of good things about them ... Thank you..

A pair of duece 08 RG's
2011 CVO Ultra
09 CVO Fatbob
53 Panhead
Old 01-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #114 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

[quote=Thumper49;2212605]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVBOB View Post

Point well Taken Justin and Phil look like my best bet its a 2 hour pull no matter were i take it in Michigan read alot of good things about them ... Thank you..
there you go..
SE 218
DR 218

Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #115 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Beacuse i promised to give a fair and balanced report of both engines in crate Fourm here it is i stuck with a tuner i have known and numbers came up to 147 rwhp . Also Derek at Star was good enough to change there website if you visit now to relect the hp of the 07 and up 124 with B-2's . The bike they have on there with a 160 sheet had more work done to hit that mark.

So in the end both the 120Rx and the 124 with B-2s in crate fourm are within a couple of Hp of each other, Still like the S&S set up but just raised to be honest and the truth is and should always be published .

Fred

A pair of duece 08 RG's
2011 CVO Ultra
09 CVO Fatbob
53 Panhead
Old 01-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #116 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Beacuse i promised to give a fair and balanced report of both engines in crate Fourm here it is i stuck with a tuner i have known and numbers came up to 147 rwhp . Also Derek at Star was good enough to change there website if you visit now to relect the hp of the 07 and up 124 with B-2's . The bike they have on there with a 160 sheet had more work done to hit that mark.

So in the end both the 120Rx and the 124 with B-2s in crate fourm are within a couple of Hp of each other, Still like the S&S set up but just raised to be honest and the truth is and should always be published .

Fred
Fred. if you switched to a supertuner on the 124? and the rx is tuned with a supertuner?
and if you did 6 th gear runs?
pull up the runs in win pep 7 and change the graph layout to <time> or <speed> instead of <rpm>. your graphs ,if done in 6 th gear and <rpm> will stop on the graph at 5500-5700 ,if you click on either speed or time ,it will show a little more hp,if its still pulling after 5700 (maybe your guy already did?)
SE 218
DR 218

Old 01-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #117 (permalink)
Premium Member

pwmorris wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

Fred
Thanks for the honest reporting Fred.
I still those are great power numbers in crate form and pretty much what I expected (actually I expected less).
Of course when worked, those numbers can climb rapidly-just like my 126". Compression is key and I know Star likes to use the higher comp pistons when upgrading power-which can really push the big numbers up.
For the street and everday, reliable power, it's all anyone should be needing by just leaving it in stock form-unless someone is looking for bragging rights with no practical street use-unless they race it which is a whole other conversation...
Check out S&S own site when they put B2's on a 124"-of course it's a Superflow which usually records lower numbers than a Dynojet but it's pretty much in line.
pwmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #118 (permalink)
IronButt

Merc63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

Fred
Fred,

Any idea what was done to bring the 124" to 160s?

What's the comp on a crate 124" with b2 heads?
Merc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #119 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Fred,

Any idea what was done to bring the 124" to 160s?

What's the comp on a crate 124" with b2 heads?

Merc

10.5 compression ratio, Derek told me when i asked if he would correct what was a misleading website info situation that it was about 3800 more dollars to the already 10,800 dollar engine.

To answer PWMorris question both my RGs are for racing and fun so what started out as a friendly bet with another guy who Races over a local drag strip Clarity was discussed on how far we could take these my 124 is getting a Procharger installed talked with Derek at Star and although i will be limited to about 8lbs of boost and the bets we all have made for this season didnt stipulate natural aspriation or not i can pick up way more than 13 hp for about 750 bucks more than Stars mods for there 160 bike. The down side the pingle electronic shifter will not work with the procharger because of the outer primary and belts, i will put it on my other RG with the 120RX .

No intentions of putting a Juice bottle to this bike but heres a Vid from Star with a Procharger on a 124 with Juice.

A pair of duece 08 RG's
2011 CVO Ultra
09 CVO Fatbob
53 Panhead

Last edited by Thumper49; 01-16-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #120 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Fred. if you switched to a supertuner on the 124? and the rx is tuned with a supertuner?
and if you did 6 th gear runs?
pull up the runs in win pep 7 and change the graph layout to <time> or <speed> instead of <rpm>. your graphs ,if done in 6 th gear and <rpm> will stop on the graph at 5500-5700 ,if you click on either speed or time ,it will show a little more hp,if its still pulling after 5700 (maybe your guy already did?)
Jim Yes to all the above we ditched the TTS system and were running a Supertuner, Ill pay the 100 bucks and have the interface unlocked and sell it to a guy who wants to add a set of pipes , AC, or Cams but like i told you when we first met iam fluent with SERT and even thou Star and S&S are using SERT and Power commanders i have no clue why he sent me the TTS , maybe it was laying around judging from the box it may have very well been a unlocked return.

A pair of duece 08 RG's
2011 CVO Ultra
09 CVO Fatbob
53 Panhead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement