S&S 124 for 2007 & UP Twincams - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
IronButt

stix68 wants to know Dino or Syn?
$9285.00 for B2 option A motor as quoted by Derek from Star Racing.

I assume, using SE cases that the B2's are now available in HD bolt pattern??
I already have SE cases with SS crank and 640 sticks, wouldn't waste my money on a crate gig but sure would be interested in them B2's to top it off.
Anyone got more info on the B2's??

Old 10-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #32 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
Stix, the B2 is somewhat of an EX issue as there is not a production pipe per say that will bolt to the ex side.. As well they are not a low RPM type head.. They do produce massive power but its at 3000+ and they will rev well into the 7000 RPM range.. So is your crank set to go that far??

BTW are you coming this fall with your mate??
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #33 (permalink)
IronButt

stix68 wants to know Dino or Syn?
G'day Steve, how are ya cobber

trued and welded 4.5" crank on lefty bearings, currently 135 hp, 10,000 miles no issues, dragged often with gear changes at 6k.
Dyna is more strip than street these days. B2's would put the competition in the mirrors.
No issues with having to mod the zilla to suit. Had similar discussion with Dan B a while back on his work with the Hurricanes.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 AM   #34 (permalink)
Gearhead

2wheelrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stix68 View Post
$9285.00 for B2 option A motor as quoted by Derek from Star Racing.

I assume, using SE cases that the B2's are now available in HD bolt pattern??
I already have SE cases with SS crank and 640 sticks, wouldn't waste my money on a crate gig but sure would be interested in them B2's to top it off.
Anyone got more info on the B2's??
Well...I guess my my 126 was a good deal then at $8,000 deliverd.
I hereby resend all my regrets
According to the posted prices for the 124 vs the B2 option that puts the B2s at 3020.00 for the head package...S&S is sure proud of them heads.
2010 street glide....FOR SALE

Last edited by 2wheelrider; 10-05-2012 at 02:51 AM.
2wheelrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #35 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bloody hell ,...then spend Karls money for your new B2 heads LMAO
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #36 (permalink)
IronButt

C-Cat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Chris Rivas has them for much less, although probay close in price when you add in intake/tb.

124 ci. 07 Streetbob
107ci. 2011 RGC
C-Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #37 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thumper49 wants to know Dino or Syn?
First this is my first post here this fourm alot of reading here and good folks, in Ref to this thread the true cost for the new 124 S&S is a bit low from what i am seeing , last year i built a 08 RG with the 120 R engine then bought the RX heads and Cams and got the bike to run 149 RWHP , this year a second 08 RG deemed Thumper 2 is using the new 124 S&S from Star with B-2 heads Throttle Hog 70mm D&D Bzilla with B-2 head flanges fabbed at Star right down to the Bobber Dish heavy breather and Tunning software from Star its 12,565 dollars Derek has been great to work with and Star used the 660 Easy Start cams and springs vs the 640 cams and 660 springs as advert by S&S just wanted to clear the air on pricing .
The 120R or for me now RX with bigger Tbody intake, injectors etc ended up shy of this number by about 3500 dollars however Derek and Star have dyno'ed this combo in at over 170 RWHP so honeslty 20 plus hp diff is taking us right back to the old addage Speed cost money how fast to you wanna go...?

Fred
Thumper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #38 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Since most fourms require downsizing of pics and so many posts if anyone wants to see pics of either of these two bikes Facbook and Fred Pickering holds the albums to both builds , Thumper 2 under works right now is pictured with the engine out as Derek called Friday and the engine is being shipped up here this week . Another note it takes a good 12 weeks from order to were iam right now, Another interesting tid bit is since S&S is using the 120R cases at 565 bucks i belive there is two things that make this a good deal number one for those of us who do Dyno shoot outs and Track time this engine can no longer be kicked into outlaw or mod class because it is using HD cases a smart move on George Smith and Crews part , the other thing is try ordering a set of 120r cases from HD/SE right now there on back order beyhond Jan 2013 which makes one know this is probley due to the number of 124's we will see out of S&S.
Last i might eat my one statement on a smart move with the HD cases nobody right now knows how much these cases will take When i talked to S&S and Star they both belive the cases are strong enough to hold the S&S internals , and backed with a one year warr thats something SEand HD wouldnt put there neck out to do with the 120R engine. I only know of one guy who had a issue with Cam chest pin distroying his oil pump on a 120R and was told no help, Ill report how this set up runs , both bikes are using Barrnet Scorpions so add another 5-600 bucks depending on your suppliers pricing, I suppose there are alot of other options a person can go with well we all know there is this is my Third Crate engine and me moving away from building my own, A JIMS131 in another scratch build bike proved to be nothing short of disapointing the engine for big cubes makes no more power than a good bench build for alot less money .

If i said i wasnt impressed with the 120RX numbers at 149 rwhp most here would think iam critical but knowing if your gonna go out on a limb and spend money for power i Still belive the 50 Yrs of S&S wit and knowlegde coupled with the fact they already build the reman MoFo engines comments made at HD shops that S&S isnt in the same league with HD was the biggest piece of crap i have ever heard.

Fred

Last edited by Thumper49; 11-04-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #39 (permalink)
IronButt

59panhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
I was just on the S&S site and I think the TC motors come dissasembled so they can say they sold you parts not a built motor HD WILL SUE THERE ASSES OFF just like HD Cant use gear drive cams because S&S own the patant, what i found was a 126 race motor all apart and in silver $9100 and its a dealer only purchase
59panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #40 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59panhead View Post
I was just on the S&S site and I think the TC motors come dissasembled so they can say they sold you parts not a built motor HD WILL SUE THERE ASSES OFF just like HD Cant use gear drive cams because S&S own the patant, what i found was a 126 race motor all apart and in silver $9100 and its a dealer only purchase
Moco won't sue . Because they are supplying the cases to S&S already.they build the 120 R motor with them.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #41 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
last year i built a 08 RG with the 120 R engine then bought the RX heads and Cams and got the bike to run 149 RWHP
Quote:
If i said i wasnt impressed with the 120RX numbers at 149 rwhp most here would think iam critical
Quote:
this year a second 08 RG deemed Thumper 2 is using the new 124 S&S from Star with B-2 heads Throttle Hog 70mm D&D Bzilla with B-2 head flanges fabbed at Star
Quote:
Derek and Star have dyno'ed this combo in at over 170 RWHP
149 hp is right in line with that pipe on the rx.
maybe a little more with a diff exhaust.
so if the exhaust on the 124 is the same zilla same baffle etc. that is some impressive hp. just wondering if it is the same exact exhaust that the 120 rx had.
if so?? IMO it isnt the best hp pipe for the 120 rx so ?? what did star have to say about the exhaust on the 124? they think maybe there is more with a diff pipe? I would think it is done at 170 so just curious
nice toys. I am jealous...
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 AM   #42 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
149 hp is right in line with that pipe on the rx.
maybe a little more with a diff exhaust.
so if the exhaust on the 124 is the same zilla same baffle etc. that is some impressive hp. just wondering if it is the same exact exhaust that the 120 rx had.
if so?? IMO it isnt the best hp pipe for the 120 rx so ?? what did star have to say about the exhaust on the 124? they think maybe there is more with a diff pipe? I would think it is done at 170 so just curious
nice toys. I am jealous...
On the pipes it came down to a Zilla or a Bonz Toby at Star when he did the pipe changed the insert and the collecters since theres been limited testing done with this engine combo , Star has a customer who had a bike there being done the same way and they used his bike as a jig and Dyno base it came down to choosing Although its a matter of choice for the 2-3 hp diff in pipes they tested i didnt want the Stitch welded pipe from Bonz which is really the Star pipe also with there decal on it , he ended up using a Clone style Gupie insert which is diff than the Bzilla insert i have pics of the pipes done they were shipped here 2 weeks ago,and you can see the diff between a out of the box Bzilla and mine from the pics.

I agree that shes probley at max i did get to see the dyno sheet and the bike they ran was over the 170 mark but like you said pretty much on mapping and software changes it has made all the power its gonna make thats also the software download i will get from Star when my engine gets here, still pretty impressive numbers for a 124 with SA B2's but there was the other option of the 145 and my goal was to keep two fairly idenical engines alike for this test had i used the 145 everyone would have said the cubes were the reason for the spanking..

Thanks for the nice comments on the bikes again ill keep everyone up to date has this comes together here in Michigan our season is about shot so we plan to head to Vegas in Jan and then Fla in March with these and get some better testing and numbers.

Fred
Old 11-05-2012, 05:17 AM   #43 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59panhead View Post
S&S just added this engine in the last couple weeks its not the 124TC your reading its using the same Verbage as Stars site and thats the engine is a complete crate 124 for 07 and up alpha and Beta apps and then theres a option box to add the B-2s .
There Throttle Hogs go like this you need the 70mm for the SA B2 add and i had to send my Throttle body to Lacrosse and they gut the throttle on the wire out of mine and install it in there 70mm THog . Honeslty i have done buss with Star in the past and that is were i first read about this set up called Derek and made the purchase again it wouldnt show up on S&S site until a few weeks ago.

Like Stroker said theres really not pat issue here since using raw cases to build a engine has been going on for years and then that coupled with S&S working and doing the MOFO reman program.

The whole purpose of this in mindset was to make a engine to compete with the 120R for the newer chassis with a drop in app and no mods, 99-06 was all that was aval prior and this allows a person to buy and do a drop in although beaware if you go with the B2 option even with the 120 cases theres still a minor fittment issue because the B2 height .

Fred
Old 11-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #44 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Pics of Thumper 1 with the 120RX and T-2 waiting for the S&S 124 Engine left Star Yesterday shipped here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14221_3555778906738_1823894629_n.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	74705   Click image for larger version

Name:	557940_3269322065496_1387938171_n.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	74706  
Old 11-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #45 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Sweet!
Thanks for the update
SE 218
DR 218

Sponsored Links
Advertisement