New SE stage 4 kit for 103s : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
New SE stage 4 kit for 103s

My buddy is thinking about installing one of these new kits on his 2012 Street Glide. http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US Just wanted to know if anyone has one or comments about it. I know some will say you can buy XYZ kit/build for less money and more power but the selling point on this HD kit [for him] is the fact that it retains the factory warranty.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq

Last edited by MilesToGo; 06-16-2012 at 06:47 PM.
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Still the Same!

wurk_truk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Warranty is in play ONLY if this kit is done at the time of delivery.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 06-17-2012 at 06:19 AM.
wurk_truk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ironbutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurk_truk View Post
Warranty is in play ONLY if this kit is done at the time of delivery.
Where did you get this information? I can't see why it would make a difference whether it's installed before or after delivery.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
It used to be that technically any of these kits voided the warranty , but, lots of dealers , when installed b4 delivery, would give you sort of a wink and a nod and promise you they would still honor the warranty. It wouldn't neccesarily be honored at any other dealer.That was my experience anyway. I guess thats changed , your link says this would not affect the coverage. HD must be changing their tune on this stuff. They're obviously going after more of the hi-po market . I wonder if they give any warranty on the 120R?

1988 FXSTC 100" Fatso 68 Bonneville 650
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesToGo View Post
Where did you get this information? I can't see why it would make a difference whether it's installed before or after delivery.
I was told the same thing from a dealer, only parts and accessories installed at the time of delivery will be covered with the 2 year warranty. The other side is they also state this kit has to have the factory download for it. Which means putting the SEPST on and then stapping it to the dyno is a no no. Look at it like getting a Happy meal and discovering someone crushed your toy.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ironbutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by msocko3 View Post
I was told the same thing from a dealer, only parts and accessories installed at the time of delivery will be covered with the 2 year warranty. The other side is they also state this kit has to have the factory download for it. Which means putting the SEPST on and then stapping it to the dyno is a no no. Look at it like getting a Happy meal and discovering someone crushed your toy.
I don't see anything in the description about requiring a download. All it says is "All EFI-equipped models require ECM calibration."

Thanks for all the feedback though. I will tell me buddy to make sure he has all the facts straight before pulling the trigger.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Evil Clown

luvstoride is reading this now saying WTF is this? luvstoride is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesToGo View Post
I don't see anything in the description about requiring a download. All it says is "All EFI-equipped models require ECM calibration."
Isn't that the same thing?
Helmets: Let those who ride decide.
Stop feeding the trolls!
luvstoride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

guydoc77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
It is the very same thing. And who knows how "ballpark" the canned map will be when it is downloaded (flashed).

My advice is to have his stock heads ported, have his cylinders bored and honed and fitted to aftermarket pistons, buy aftermarket cams, and have the bike formally tuned after the engine is built.

I'm not a fan of the canned HD kits or of the canned ECM flashes (downloads).
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
R&R Stage 3 heads, .030 gasket, 82cc chambers
Trued, welded, and balanced crank by Hyperformance
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
Supermeg with open cap and 15 discs
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
Aspen White (got it for my wife)
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!
guydoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
The canned map HD put in my 110 sucked. It was a real dog till I had a proper tune done to it.

1988 FXSTC 100" Fatso 68 Bonneville 650
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
I tuned one a dealer built this spring, warranty or not it left a lot to be desired.
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ironbutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstoride View Post
Isn't that the same thing?
My point was the link doesn't say a dealer download is required. We all know the bike would have to be tuned, i,e., recalibrated, but it doesn't say who or how the new tune is to be accomplished.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Still the Same!

Last edited by wurk_truk; 06-18-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Still the Same!

You seem argumentative and want to state things that have NO bearing on the issue at hand. Some of us HAVE been there and done that. I have a 120r and feel I can speak from experience on MOCO's warranty with the 'kit' you wish to install.

Oh... my bad. There will be NO warranty implied, expressed, etc from the MOCO or the Dealer or anyone else. You are talking about a StageV kit, and THAT kit has the crossed flag icon... race only. MOCO does NOT cover ANY race only configurations. m Just like they do NOT cover my 120r.

One needs to learn all the BS that the Moco puts forth, but one thing is very very certain. Crossed Flags= NO warranty.

Doesn't matter how YOU think it should be, etc.... what does matter is how MOCO thinks about it. A Stage 2 kit maybe can have a warranty, because THAT kit has the "Hand" Icon. Argue all ya waish, but call someone at MOCO and ASK about warranty on a 'crossed flag" item, then you WILL see.

Streetg?.....120R has NO, and I repeat... NO warranty. If one wishes to have a 'big block', spend an extra $2-3000 and buy an S&S engine with a warranty. Me? That $2k buys a LOT of zoo zoos and wham whams.

Download the actual catalog from SE... https://www.box.com/s/ef9bce17b196420b06d2 instead of relying on the chrome whore P&A Catalog or any online link.

Look at the Stage IV 'kits', and you WILL see the crossed flags, right there in the TRUE catalog.

One thing to try. Ask the dealer about warranty, and maybe you will luck out with a dealer only warranty. That would at least cover your friend from issues, if he can make it back to THAT dealer. Some dealers do this to move parts, etc. But THAT kind of deal will NOT allow him to go to a different dealer and expect coverage.

I think your Bud should do the exact same build you did with your own SG. Nice build. I had a 107 with 54 build, and I AM here to tell ya, it IS a very nice package!!!!! Under 3000 rpms, your build and my stock 120r feels exactly the same while actually riding the bike. Over 3k? Well..... HAHAHA!!!!!

Last edited by wurk_truk; 06-18-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
djl
IronButt

djl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Could the OP be referring to the 92500011 kit and not the 92500010 kit in the SE catalog? The 92500011 kit was just released in February of this year and was not included in the current SE catalog. Warranty is expressly included in the package if installed by a dealer.

Not real impressive numbers but if the guy is looking for warranty protection, there is no debate; it's part of the deal

Last edited by djl; 06-18-2012 at 05:01 PM.
djl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ironbutt

Did not intend to be argumentative if it came across that way. I know very little about these Harley kits - not enough to argue anything.

I do know this is a NEW offering by Harley and just possible they are starting to lean the other way on warranty protection.

Personally, I wouldn't give up my 107 for any warranty kit. However, some people just can't sleep at night without that protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.