Bad Compensator : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
CPS
Seasoned Rider

CPS wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bad Compensator

When the compensator goes bad do you replace just the sprocket assembly or do you replace the stator with the springs in it as well?
CPS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

FLTR2008TRIKE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Personally I would replace both. New magnets will give you the most charging power for your bike.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

rootintootin wants to know Dino or Syn?
I found this looking for info on what to look for if you suspect a worn out compensator. It's not too old so maybe this can be of use to someone (besides me). The way I'm reading the OP's question makes me think he got his terminology wrong and when he said stator, he just meant the cover assy. with springs.

I just replaced both the sprocket and sliding cam on mine. I was getting a lot of noise out of the primary area and these parts seem to have solved the random snapping noise I was getting on start-up. It almost sounded like there was an old fashioned solenoid opening and closing in the primary. I think it was due to too much wear on the ramps of the sprocket and the tips of the sliding cam nubs where they make contact. The pics don't show very well how much wear there is. The ramps of the sprocket are really polished smooth and the points of the sliding cam are polished smooth too, with really sharp edges. I think this is from excess travel movement from weak belville springs in the cover.

I believe most of the wear comes from the springs sacking and allowing the parts to wear out at an accelerated pace, causing at least lots of noises and probably all sorts of mechanical damage to the whole driveline and anything that comes in contact with it. I still have several noises in the primary that I have to work through.

I can't seem to find any definitive info on the spring cover. Like what is too much wear? How much should you be able to compress the springs? Is it OK to knock out the dimples in the cover and check/replace the individual springs? I see the new? SE compensator shows several sizes of springs as components although it says you can't buy them as seperate parts. I've seen where some talk about strengthening the spring pack. Do you put some sort of shim inside the cover to do this? Is aftermarket quality up to snuff or is this something better off sourced at the dealership?

Right now I'm leaning towards chucking the whole thing and going with the BDL version for all the reasons they brag about. I probably just wasted the bucks replacing the stock pieces without doing the cover too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compensator Wear 001.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	72198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compensator Wear 002.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	72199  

2000 Lowrider, 74K miles
95" SE Forged pop-ups
S&S 585Gs on Delkron plate
Zippers Stage III CNC heads
45mm Mikuni and Supertrapp(S.E.) 2-1
Lots of other stuff Harley took years to fix
rootintootin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
CPS
Seasoned Rider

I couldn't find any info on how to check for spring tension or wear either. The stator assembly is what the springs are in or at least that is what harley calls it.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
djl
IronButt

djl wants to know Dino or Syn?
I assume that we are talking pre '07 compensator? If so, I have remedied a noisy compensator by opening up the dimples and installing a second bellville spring from an older compensator. Shadetree solution for sure but it works, is a cheap fix and takes about 30 minutes once you have the old compensator in hand.

BTW, the stator is not part of the compensator. It is the stationary piece of hardware that sits behind the rotor; part of the alternator assembly.
djl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

rootintootin wants to know Dino or Syn?
For my benefit, can we straighten this out? When I hear stator, I'm thinking alternator and see the picture on the left. When I'm thinking about the compensator, I've heard it called cover or spring cover, the piece in the top center on the right. Whatever it's called, you're talking about part of the compensator and not part of the alternator, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stator.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	72200   Click image for larger version

Name:	parts.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	72201  

2000 Lowrider, 74K miles
95" SE Forged pop-ups
S&S 585Gs on Delkron plate
Zippers Stage III CNC heads
45mm Mikuni and Supertrapp(S.E.) 2-1
Lots of other stuff Harley took years to fix
rootintootin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
CPS
Seasoned Rider

Sorry, rotor and spring cover assembly. This is for an 09.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gearhead

2wheelrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Little trick I use is this. Sometimes the spring inside the cover will stick inside and cause the spring to not extend fully. What i do is stand the spring cover on its side and start tapping around the side with a hammer hitting it in such a manner as to free up the spring were it may be binding inside the cover. It has worked for me a few times.
2010 street glide....(stock). I have bad case of gearitis.
I must build it!
2wheelrider is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

Eleft36 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPS View Post
Sorry, rotor and spring cover assembly. This is for an 09.
09 what model?
Stock 110" mufflers Stock Heads Andrews 26 Cams SE103" BB Kit Zippers Cam Chain Tensioners SE Compensator Mustang Wide Touring Seat Stock Bars H.D. Oil Cooler 1990's LeatherWorks inc Saddle Bags with HD Deluxe modified guards H-D Windshield Thunder Max A/T 2005 S E Tour Pack Progressive Shocks & fork Mono Tube kit
Eleft36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
CPS
Seasoned Rider

09 Street Bob. My noise ended up being the transmission. I broke some teeth off of 3rd gear.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

gb1500 wants to know Dino or Syn?
check the rotor carefully..they warp and that could be your whole problem...it was mine...usually the compensator needs to have the s#@$% kicked out of it and or 100 +hp to get crapped up...maybe you got that?....

Last edited by gb1500; 06-05-2012 at 04:49 PM.
gb1500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.