Pulled the trigger on an Andrews 48h : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

drivr01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Pulled the trigger on an Andrews 48h

Had some extra money so I decided to install the Andrews 48h cam in my 2010 Road Glide. Was already running a Propipe slipon from V&h with the stock 2-1 header pipe and the K & N cleaner with velocity stack (and pc-v) I told the shop I wanted a nice smooth torque band. Results and initial impressions:

1) 86 hp and 106 trq. Slow building torque from the dyno, which doesn't show many ref pts so it isn't very detailed.
2) I was expecting more punch way down low, not sure how much of that was my instructions / the tune (see intro).
3) There is definitely more torque (just not "punch") early on as I was able to accelerate going uphill in 6th gear going 60 at ~2100 rpm, where before I would have downshifted in that situation.
4) There is a distinct sweet spot that starts at 2700 rpm, the bike is eager to go faster- Daddy like!
5) No assessment of mpg yet, going to have to stop blipping the throttle constantly and/or run a couple of tanks thru it.
6) I way underestimated the affect on the sound / noise- huge difference! I am not a loud pipe guy and figured I was pretty safe with the stock header. I could tell a noticeable differnce when they fired it up in the shop and I was inside the store on the other side of the wall. It doesn't sound like straight pipe / no baffles, but it is a low frequency, penetrating sound. Speaking of which...
7) At idle the bike sounds badd a$$, loping sound like you expect from a Harley. The bike also gets louder as you hit the sweet spot at 2700 rpm. Because of my 2-1 pipe the bike sounds like the prop of a plane, with the blades rotated 90% so the blades are slapping the air....
8) There seems to be more vibration in the seat at the light- the tach is skipping around, thus the loping sound.... But, the bike is smooth when riding, with no additional mirror shake.

In summary, more fun to ride and less downshifts. If I am riding solo thru a National Park it is too loud for my taste, but my friends are going to be jealous around town.

Last edited by drivr01; 01-24-2012 at 08:03 PM.
drivr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivr01 View Post
Had some extra money so I decided to install the Andrews 48h cam in my 2010 Road Glide. Was already running a Propipe slipon from V&h with the stock 2-1 header pipe and the K & N cleaner with velocity stack (and pc-v) I told the shop I wanted a nice smooth torque band. Results and initial impressions:

1) 86 hp and 106 trq. Slow building torque from the dyno, which doesn't show many ref pts so it isn't very detailed.
2) I was expecting more punch way down low, not sure how much of that was my instructions / the tune (see intro).
3) There is definitely more torque (just not "punch") early on as I was able to accelerate going uphill in 6th gear going 60 at ~2100 rpm, where before I would have downshifted in that situation.
4) There is a distinct sweet spot that starts at 2700 rpm, the bike is eager to go faster- Daddy like!
5) No assessment of mpg yet, going to have to stop blipping the throttle constantly and/or run a couple of tanks thru it.
6) I way underestimated the affect on the sound / noise- huge difference! I am not a loud pipe guy and figured I was pretty safe with the stock header. I could tell a noticeable differnce when they fired it up in the shop and I was inside the store on the other side of the wall. It doesn't sound like straight pipe / no baffles, but it is a low frequency, penetrating sound. Speaking of which...
7) At idle the bike sounds badd a$$, loping sound like you expect from a Harley. The bike also gets louder as you hit the sweet spot at 2700 rpm. Because of my 2-1 pipe the bike sounds like the prop of a plane, with the blades rotated 90% so the blades are slapping the air....
8) There seems to be more vibration in the seat at the light- the tach is skipping around, thus the loping sound.... But, the bike is smooth when riding, with no additional mirror shake.

In summary, more fun to ride and less downshifts. If I am riding solo thru a National Park it is too loud for my taste, but my friends are going to be jealous around town.
Cool, I have only used that cam once in quite a bit different application but really liked the lopey idle as well, wasn't expecting it from a what is really a smaller bolt in camset.
What cubic inch is your bike, still 96?
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Yes, still at 96". I wanted to get the best torque / bagger cam for my TC 96 and Andrews recommended the 48h.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Barney Biker wants to know Dino or Syn?
If I might ask, Where did you get the cam and how much?
Thinking of going that way also.

Barney
Barney Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

SavageChopper wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have this cam sitting in my closet waiting to replace the 26H I installed last year in my '09 Fat Bob. Just waiting for the snow to melt.......BTW, got the cam off ebay for around $250. I'm also installing a set of Comp 850-1 lifters to hopefully quiet down the sewing machine a little.
SavageChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Biker View Post

Barney
The shop ordered the cam for me from Andrews and the misc parts (adjustable push rods) from a vendor. The cam was $287.95 on the invoice. I wish I would have thought about quieter lifters as I don't enjoy that sound at any rpm.....
Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Which lifters make less noise?
How many miles did yours have on them when you changed to the 48 cam?
Seems like I hear that any time anyone changes cams they get more noise.

Barney
Old 01-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Which lifters make less noise?
How many miles did yours have on them when you changed to the 48 cam?
Seems like I hear that any time anyone changes cams they get more noise.

Barney
I don't know anything about quiet lifters, but the idea sounds great. I knew I didn't need new springs / llifters because of the lift on the 48h so I didn't go any further than that. If nobody chimes in you can make a seperate thread asking if there are springs / lifters that are quieter.......
Old 01-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

wish I would have thought about quieter lifters as I don't enjoy that sound at any rpm.....

Your quote above thus the question about the quieter lifters.

Just thought that you knew about quieter a quieter brand.

Thanks for the answers.

Barney
Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

SavageChopper wants to know Dino or Syn?
I haven't tried the new lifters yet, but after doing some research I decided to give the Comp 850-1 lifters a shot. My Fat Bob has always had the sewing machine sound and it didn't change any with the 26H. I figured for $60 it's worth a shot on throwing new lifters in it.
SavageChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageChopper View Post
I haven't tried the new lifters yet, but after doing some research I decided to give the Comp 850-1 lifters a shot. My Fat Bob has always had the sewing machine sound and it didn't change any with the 26H. I figured for $60 it's worth a shot on throwing new lifters in it.
Pls share if it works or not.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
FNG :)

ULTRAJAX wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the report on the 48 I had that cam on my list when I was shopping for cams, in the end I decided to go with the SE204 since I could not find a lot of feedback on the 48. Based on your impressions it sounds like I should get similar results with the 204's

2008 Ultra Classic Electra Glide- SE A/C, Rinehart slip on's, SE 204 Cams, SE Super Tuner
ULTRAJAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

JetD wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

Barney
Doing some shopping earlier this week and DirectHarleyParts had them for $225... don't know if that was regular price or.... didn't call on them.
Sounds like the 48 is working out well for the OP...

'13 FLTRU a new beginning -->

'10 FLHTCU StageI --> (GMR) 107" gone---que sera!

'07 FLSTC 117ci (GMR) gone---que sera!

Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Put a couple of miles on the cam, including ~750 yesterday. This cam has personality and pulls strong.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)

Durdedawg60 wants to know Dino or Syn?
drivr01 i just installed the 48h in my '10 flhtc went to have it tuned and i've got some issuses. you got a ph so i can ask you a few questions. thanks
Durdedawg60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement