103" with S&S585 and Ported Heads : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

BAMSE3570 wants to know Dino or Syn?
103" with S&S585 and Ported Heads

Are being put in S & S 585 cams and took the opportunity to change heads to a full race heads 83cc, intake 2 "exhaust 1635, is a compression of 10.4, propipe exhaust, the engine is a 103" Twin Cam 07 with Race Tuner
Someone who has a similar combination ?.... .hp / torque..hade been fun with some information in that case ..

Wide Glide 07

Last edited by BAMSE3570; 01-20-2012 at 02:01 PM.
BAMSE3570 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

CowboyTutt wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a pretty similar build to yours with the 585 cam but with smaller 1.9 intake and 1.6 something exhaust hand cut heads at 84 cc's and 10.5-static and 9.5 dynamic compression, same exhaust and a TTS tuner. I just got it re-tuned in November with 10K miles on the new motor. Basically 112 squared. You should be good for slightly more than that with those larger valves providing you get a good tune and no restriction in the air cleaner. -Tutt

Last edited by CowboyTutt; 01-20-2012 at 07:08 PM.
CowboyTutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

C-Cat wants to know Dino or Syn?
even more if you bump up the compression, not to mention Tutt's is on a superflow dyno, so conservative #'s.

124 ci. 07 Streetbob
107ci. 2011 RGC
C-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Cat View Post
even more if you bump up the compression, not to mention Tutt's is on a superflow dyno, so conservative #'s.
actually it is inflated (or could be) over a NEW version DJ software.
look at the correction factor on the sheet. it says dynojet correction factor. unless super flow has changed there software? they (super flow) still use the 1.2 correction factor that DJ set up back in 1985, when they had the whole v max deal. so now with the winpep 7 software DJ went back to the 1.0 correction factor. or so the story goes.
anyway it has the the superflow/dynojet correction factor on the sheet.
I am not taking anything away or bashing your build tutt. it looks real healthy whatever correction factor.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Well, I don't know Stroker. I picked up a lot with the new tune over the old one as measured by the same Superflo dyno.

-Tutt

Last edited by CowboyTutt; 01-20-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTutt View Post
Well, I don't know Stroker. I picked up a lot with the new tune over the old one as measured by the same Superflo dyno.

-Tutt
that is what matters most.
but that has nothing to do with the fact that the dyno sheet you posted has already had the superflow "dynojet sae " correction factor applied to it.
gains are gains whatever correction factor is used,but to say that because it was dynoed on a super flow,the numbers would be more on a dynojet isnt necessarily true. the dynojet sae correction factor was already used within the superflow software to determine hp/tq
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

C-Cat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
actually it is inflated (or could be) over a NEW version DJ software.
look at the correction factor on the sheet. it says dynojet correction factor. unless super flow has changed there software? they (super flow) still use the 1.2 correction factor that DJ set up back in 1985, when they had the whole v max deal. so now with the winpep 7 software DJ went back to the 1.0 correction factor. or so the story goes.
anyway it has the the superflow/dynojet correction factor on the sheet.
I am not taking anything away or bashing your build tutt. it looks real healthy whatever correction factor.
Stoker, I didn't read the fine print, and wasn't aware of the changes. Thanks for pointing it out. You would know. Now if they didn't use the DJ correction factor, wouldn't it read lower? I like the idea of that feature on the SF, gives an apples to apples comparison to a certain extent.

124 ci. 07 Streetbob
107ci. 2011 RGC
C-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 04:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the info Tutt, nice figures you have ... Just hope I can get something similar from my engine.
Air up should not be a problem (I hope), has acquired a Hi-Five MACH 2.

BAMSE
Old 01-21-2012, 04:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I have a pretty similar build to yours with the 585 cam but with smaller 1.9 intake and 1.6 something exhaust hand cut heads at 84 cc's and 10.5-static and 9.5 dynamic compression, same exhaust and a TTS tuner. I just got it re-tuned in November with 10K miles on the new motor. Basically 112 squared. You should be good for slightly more than that with those larger valves providing you get a good tune and no restriction in the air cleaner. -Tutt

Thanks for the info Tutt, nice figures you have ... Just hope I can get something similar from my engine.
Air up should not be a problem (I hope), has acquired a Hi-Five MACH 2.

BAMSE
Old 01-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Cat View Post
Stoker, I didn't read the fine print, and wasn't aware of the changes. Thanks for pointing it out. You would know. Now if they didn't use the DJ correction factor, wouldn't it read lower? I like the idea of that feature on the SF, gives an apples to apples comparison to a certain extent.
yes I agree .
SE 218
DR 218

Old 01-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Nice sheet Tutt. IMO, the 585 is an under-rated cam and can work well in a lot of applications, esp in the 103+ - size motors. I ran that cam in a 98 and loved it but the added displacement makes it even nicer.

Agree with Tutt on head work too. Go a little farther and the torque will hold on even more. Ya get a nice idle too.
Torq Monster Motorworks
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Just in the interest of feeding Stroker's "data addiction" here's the exact same motor with its old tune (which is the baseline on the above dyno curve that reads 104.7HP/106.4TQ) at essentially 110 squared. It was done about a year ago and it was done on a Dyno Jet with current software for the time. Stroker, I just noticed that the bottom of my Superflow printout reads "Superflow WinDyn V2.6" I'll try to find out how current that is. -Tutt

Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Blackiceray09 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am trying to put together about the same package and need some feedback. I'm turning my 96" into a 103" Putting Keith Black 10.5:1 pistons, S&S 585g cams, pro heads ported and polished, 1.725 SE rocker arms, SE hi-flow air cleaner, Power Commander and A Rinehart 4" stepped true duals. What should I expect for dyno #s
Blackiceray09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Just in the interest of feeding Stroker's "data addiction" here's the exact same motor with its old tune (which is the baseline on the above dyno curve that reads 104.7HP/106.4TQ) at essentially 110 squared. It was done about a year ago and it was done on a Dyno Jet with current software for the time. Stroker, I just noticed that the bottom of my Superflow printout reads "Superflow WinDyn V2.6" I'll try to find out how current that is. -Tutt

Looks pretty darn close. Within 3-4 on the same dyno on diff days is about the norm. Looks like they have the correction factors pretty well nailed.
SE 218
DR 218

Old 01-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

I did happen to pick up some HP and TQ with the new tune, almost 10% over the old tune. However, that was after putting 10k on the engine and original tune. How much will an engine change with meticulous care over 10K? Even Barry at Kiwi Performance recommends getting the bike re-tuned every year or two (rough estimate). -Tutt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.