Are SE 255 cam's a good choice in a Bagger : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

motorheads5 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Are SE 255 cam's a good choice in a Bagger

What do you guy's think of the 255 cam ?
I have talked to V&H and they have done extensive testing on the 255 cam's on the exact engine setup and option's I have. they are confident they can send me a map for my fuel pak that is very close. I realize it's not a Dyno tune by a experienced tuner but I am limited on my resources because of where I live.
This way I can do the work myself.
I was originally wanting to go with the 204's but they do not have any testing done with that cam setup.
Therefore I am very interested in the 255 cam's mainly because of simplicity but how do they perform on a 2010 stock 96" engine with pipes and intake ??

Old 01-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
"Jane you ignorant slut!"

ceraaa42 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like mine in the Stage II kit. It does give up about 5000 rpm, but I almost never rev that high. You can read my report in my signature.

I understand the power band is better with these cams in the 96" engines. If you go down to the GMR forum, you'll see that Steve did some testing in his shop bike with these and was impressed in the 96" engine.
SE255 cams
SE Air cleaner
SERT
Fatcat Quiet baffle
Bagger brace
Dyno report; http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/dr...et-baffle.html

"Ya fargin' sneeky bastage!" Roman Troy Moronie

43 member

Last edited by ceraaa42; 01-19-2012 at 07:29 PM.
ceraaa42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheads5 View Post
I have talked to V&H and they have done extensive testing on the 255 cam's on the exact engine setup and option's I have. they are confident they can send me a map for my fuel pak that is very close. I realize it's not a Dyno tune by a experienced tuner but I am limited on my resources because of where I live.
I was originally wanting to go with the 204's but they do not have any testing done with that cam setup.
Therefore I am very interested in the 255 cam's mainly because of simplicity but how do they perform on a 2010 stock 96" engine with pipes and intake ??
You may get some positive and negative comments on the 255 cam but if people were really honest with themselves and not just automatically hate it because it's an SE cam you would have far more positive than negative, IMHO it is a very under rated cam and in a 96 puts the power right where you ride 90plus percent of the time. The only bolt in for the 96 that I like better is the EZ551 S&S which is very similar to the 255.
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

CowboyTutt wants to know Dino or Syn?
What Bob said all the way. A stock 96 engine doesn't have much compression to support more cam duration anyhow and so the 255 would seem like a very good fit for that application. I'm just speculating based on online calculations however whereas Bob would know! -Tutt
CowboyTutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

mopar wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've run several different cams and combinations, mainly because I always think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I ran the 255 cam for awhile, and I believe it's a very good cam for the everyday rider, two up, city and touring. It works well.
mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

poloharley wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Friend of mine just installed them in a 96" fatboy. He weighs 280 and rides two-up, often. He really likes them. I rode it and the bike run great. (another friend did the install, and is a great tuner) Makes just under 95 pounds of torque. It makes torque right off idle, thru 4500 or so. And still much better than stock power at the red line. That is a very good cam for a 96" bagger.

Last edited by poloharley; 01-19-2012 at 09:05 PM.
poloharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Captain John wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had them installed on my 09 Classic and really like them.I do a lot of touring pulling a utility trailer cross country. They really open up the useable power band. Will never have too much power
Captain John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Hey Guy's I really appreciate the input on this. I am going to go ahead with them and try the map that V&H recommend's this is good new's for me.
And after that then I will never want to do anything else to my bike except ride it right ??? hahaha
Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

xplct wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have them in my bagger, scary at times when you shift at low rpm and not paying attention from 1st to 2nd lol, it feels like the front wheel comes off the ground. I like them alot, they do fall off above 5k rpm like above stated, but by then your in the triple digits mph wise. Ive had my bagger around 125mph and still feel like it a wee lil more left in her lol.

ROTM Sept. 2011
xplct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

markmgm wants to know Dino or Syn?
I got them in my RK, so far smiles per mile.
Would have liked to have put them in my 07 flstf 96 inch to see how that would have run out.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
"Jane you ignorant slut!"

ceraaa42 wants to know Dino or Syn?
FWIW There are a bunch of these out there that people have taken out. I'm sure you could find a great deal on a like new used set. I know of one set that went for $50.
SE255 cams
SE Air cleaner
SERT
Fatcat Quiet baffle
Bagger brace
Dyno report; http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/dr...et-baffle.html

"Ya fargin' sneeky bastage!" Roman Troy Moronie

43 member
ceraaa42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceraaa42 View Post
FWIW There are a bunch of these out there that people have taken out. I'm sure you could find a great deal on a like new used set. I know of one set that went for $50.
Damm yeah good point, I'm not in a panic yet we got 4 more friggin month's of winter yet haha
Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

poloharley wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Damm yeah good point, I'm not in a panic yet we got 4 more friggin month's of winter yet haha
I think they make chains for that rear tire...
Old 01-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Swamprat Rider

JayFL459 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like Mine in my 09 Ultra still a 96" Farther down the road if do a Bore and head work may change cams but for now quite happy with SE 255's ..
Old 01-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)

Phatboy2010 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I put them in my FatBoy 5k miles ago with no problems, i hvae over 11k now. I love em. I have the dyno sheet i can post if ya want. I dont have many post on this site but they work for sure.
Phatboy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement