Screamin Eagle 95" upgrade : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

wesman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Screamin Eagle 95" upgrade

[I]'ve got a 05 Heritage and i'm getting the tensioner upgrade done and figured I would go ahead with the 95" upgrade. My question is how reliable is this build. I'm happy with it now, but a little more power riding 2 up would be nice. I'm also having the valve seals replaced and the heads cleaned up, it has[the typical oil consumption problem due to the 05 seals. The mechanic said it wouldn't be worth the money putting the Screamin Eagle heads on.
The build will be the 95" flat tops, 203 cams, new cam bearings, hydraulic upgrade, sert, mechanical compression releases, clutch spring, and will be dyno tuned after 500 miles.
Again just after a reliable build with a little more power.

Thanks, Wes/I]
wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman View Post
[I]'ve got a 05 Heritage and i'm getting the tensioner upgrade done and figured I would go ahead with the 95" upgrade. My question is how reliable is this build. I'm happy with it now, but a little more power riding 2 up would be nice. I'm also having the valve seals replaced and the heads cleaned up, it has[the typical oil consumption problem due to the 05 seals. The mechanic said it wouldn't be worth the money putting the Screamin Eagle heads on.
The build will be the 95" flat tops, 203 cams, new cam bearings, hydraulic upgrade, sert, mechanical compression releases, clutch spring, and will be dyno tuned after 500 miles.

Thanks, Wes/I]
I would say you have lost very little in dependability but why are you going to run a new motor out of tune for 500 miles?
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry for the confusion,
It will be tuned but he would like to have it back at 500 miles after break in and spend several hours on the dyno.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

angelflights wants to know Dino or Syn?
I may still be looking up skirts here, but what it looks like to me is that those year heads would fall into the catagory of money well spent to have them not only polished but street ported as well. Yeah many would agree with you who have used SE heads with the 1.9 valves etc., to not satisfy the $$ per tq/hp ratio aspect of a 95" reliable/long lasting build...

Im just saying it will be money well worth spent and danm it required if your going to be doing a respectable 95 ". Look into it.
angelflights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

707eric wants to know Dino or Syn?
Like others said, I wouldn't put it back together until you had the heads reworked. Give Steve a hollar over at GMR and see what he can do for you. Or any of the other site sponsors for that matter.
707eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

TA63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Id consider the 204 cams as well.
Hobanized bottom end
Wild Things heads tweaked by Bob Wright
TC546g cams
S&S roller rockers
S&S dual inlet intake
57mm throttle body
Boarzilla 2-1 pipe
3.37 primary gears and Rivera pro clutch
TA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I have the same set up. Got 80hp, 98tq. The stock crossover on my RK cost me a few hp. Heads worth about 10 more. Bike is much more fun now, and passes trucks much better. Definitely consider a 30 thous head gasket. A little more squish and less prone to detonation.
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

autoworker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Looks like a very good plan.Have the heads decked for desired compression with your cam and ported while off.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

BenBoosted wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a similar upgrade done while I was in there doing the cam chain tensioners. 95" 10.5:1 forged Ross pistons, SE 253 cams, ported heads w/ new guides/springs/seals, adjustable SE pushrods, SE clutch spring, and some porting on the intake.

It took a while playing with the tune but it hauls butt. I dropped only 2mpg off with my upgrades, which is surprising as I expected to loose more. The thing hauls some serious butt now which is saying a lot for an 800+ # bike and a 300# rider.

I've got about 3500 miles on it now since doing the work and there haven't been any issues...well there is one. I need a new back tire now.

Last edited by BenBoosted; 12-30-2011 at 01:12 PM.
BenBoosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

CSM-H wants to know Dino or Syn?
95" kit worth it?

wesman, I have a FLHTI, 06, had Bean do the heads (80cc's) with 204's, 2010 (HD) 2 into 1 stock exhaust with no cat...SE HD clutch spring, PCIII, K&N filter on open back stock plate....Just re-dyno'd 82.5 HP at 5250rpms and 102 TQ at 3450 rpm's..very sweet....Good luck with yours. CSM-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman View Post

Thanks, Wes/I]
CSM-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

megeedub wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought mine with the SE 95" kit including heads done to it by the previous owner, it had 5K on the upgrade when I bought it, and I've put 10K on it over the last two years...all trouble free.
SE 211
SE 6 Spd
Rinehart Tru Duals w/BUB stealth mufflers
SERT
Barnett Clutch
etc...
megeedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

00fxsts wants to know Dino or Syn?
My cam bearings went after 26,000 and I did the 95 inch upgrade with 203 cams & NO HEAD WORK! After some research and talking to some genuine engine builders the $$$$ spent on head work is not worth what you get. I did the straight-up out of the box SE 95" big bore kit with a dyno jet kit in carb and I cannot believe the difference. I bought the bike new in 2000 so I know how it ran.

You'll never regret it. Look harder at bigger (?) cams and heads. It's a Harley. If you want a rocket.....buy a mustang GT. You'll love the extra power.
00fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

707eric wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00fxsts View Post
My cam bearings went after 26,000 and I did the 95 inch upgrade with 203 cams & NO HEAD WORK! After some research and talking to some genuine engine builders the $$$$ spent on head work is not worth what you get. I did the straight-up out of the box SE 95" big bore kit with a dyno jet kit in carb and I cannot believe the difference. I bought the bike new in 2000 so I know how it ran.

You'll never regret it. Look harder at bigger (?) cams and heads. It's a Harley. If you want a rocket.....buy a mustang GT. You'll love the extra power.
Sorry any engine builders that says it isn't worth doing the heads on a 95" kit isn't a builder worth talking to.
707eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well the build went very well. The old parts look as good as the day they were new, including the tensioners. I achieved exactly what I was wanting and the motor is very quite. Simple 95" Screamin Eagle kit, new cam bearings, tensioner upgrade, stock lifters, sert, manual compression releases, cleaned the heads up and lapped the valves, stage 1, and v&h longshots.
Thanks to everyone who chimed in.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

Gunboat Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Why a different clutch spring

I will be upgradeing to a big bore with cams (05 FXD), I don't understand the need for a different clutch spring. I've been reading all these post and gaining tons of useful info but I must of missed swomething. Any help would be appreciated.
Gunboat Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement