103'' cams : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

grof wants to know Dino or Syn?
103'' cams

hey guys,
what are the overall best cams for a 103" engine, with ported heads.
tnx
grof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

CowboyTutt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Way too little information. What bike are you putting it in? How much does it weigh? What is your riding style? What gearing and gear box are you using? WAY too vague a question! -Tutt
CowboyTutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Iron Butt, SS2000

jerry34208 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hang in there Grof. I remember a time when I wanted to post that same type of question.

As in the rest of the world, it's just not that simple. Everything is a trade off.

Take your time, surf, read, ask, read some more & sift out the chaff.

The information is here but you gotta learn some more before you can understand the answer.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

'01 FXD built & tuned by Doc

Now if only I could learn to ride worth a sh!t...

Last edited by jerry34208; 11-19-2011 at 08:56 PM.
jerry34208 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

59panhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
you have to know what those ported heads are flowing! weight and gearing are not a concern but to pick the right cam...an engine builder has to know what the heads can handle !
59panhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 02:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

sublime is reading this now saying WTF is this?
The two most popular at the moment are the Andrews 54 and the Woods 555. If you are running 9.8-10.2:1 compression run the Andrews.. If you are running 10.5:1 compression run the Woods.

Of course there are about 100 more options / combinations / opinions but if I were building a bang for buck motor today I would build a 107" with 10.5:1 compression and the Woods 555...

I am running a 107" 10.3:1 compression with 20 degree pistons from Axtell and Baisley heads combined with the Woods TW-408-44.. It is a very nice combination.. I have the Thundermax with Autotune and haven't taken it for a proper dyne tune yet, but I easily hang with my buddy who has 105HP / 110 Torque and he weighs 80 lbs less than me

Last edited by sublime; 11-20-2011 at 02:05 AM.
sublime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTutt View Post
Way too little information. What bike are you putting it in? How much does it weigh? What is your riding style? What gearing and gear box are you using? WAY too vague a question! -Tutt
my bad, I have EG '10 and I want to change from 96 to 103.
I don't race but like to have power when I want to cick it.
I have 6 speed trany . hope this will give you more info.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry34208 View Post
Hang in there Grof. I remember a time when I wanted to post that same type of question.

As in the rest of the world, it's just not that simple. Everything is a trade off.

Take your time, surf, read, ask, read some more & sift out the chaff.

The information is here but you gotta learn some more before you can understand the answer.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
got you
Old 11-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime View Post
The two most popular at the moment are the Andrews 54 and the Woods 555. If you are running 9.8-10.2:1 compression run the Andrews.. If you are running 10.5:1 compression run the Woods.

Of course there are about 100 more options / combinations / opinions but if I were building a bang for buck motor today I would build a 107" with 10.5:1 compression and the Woods 555...

I am running a 107" 10.3:1 compression with 20 degree pistons from Axtell and Baisley heads combined with the Woods TW-408-44.. It is a very nice combination.. I have the Thundermax with Autotune and haven't taken it for a proper dyne tune yet, but I easily hang with my buddy who has 105HP / 110 Torque and he weighs 80 lbs less than me
sublime I can tell you can read my mind , there is so many options
and I am confused. When someone aske what riding style ?? there can be 2 options you cruse or you run like a rocket (go buy sport bike). What I want is bike to run nice, have power whan I want or when I need, I know someone will say buy 120R I know this answer but my pocket is to shallow for that. And 2 builders (you know them ) that I talked they have different options too with diff. prices also. So I am trying to find out...
if I have to bore 96" to
103" with ported heads wich cams woud be top pick.
or 107" ported heads , what cams
so what I want is top pick , ppl talk about many choices this or that I don't want that.

If someone ask me to pick car my answer is M.Benz why top qualiti rilyable, but Kia can get me from point A to point B also. Or I can pick Ferrari so you can bread smoke from my tires , hope you got what I mean.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

xplct wants to know Dino or Syn?
I dont know how the other cams are, but I like the 255's in mine, they pull hard in 6th on the eway at 70mph still. doing 80mph and still under 3k rpm.

ROTM Sept. 2011
xplct is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

clayslayer wants to know Dino or Syn?
You ask 10 different folks here and you'll get 10 different responses. The most popular for the 96/103 bikes are probably the TW 6-6, TW-555, and the Andrews 54.

Check out www.fuelmotousa.com and look at some of the dyno charts Jamie has posted. They're pretty impressive. FWIW I recently bought a set of TW-555 cams for my '10 Limited based on way too much research. More recommendations pointed to the triple nickel than any other cam so I bought one.
clayslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

acbacb wants to know where he is and how he got here
Andrews 54 for me. The Woods cams are noisier due to the steep ramps.

"If it has tires or ti+s, sooner or later it's gonna give you trouble."

2012 FLHX Street Glide in Big Blue Pearl

Bone Stock (for now)

acbacb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
If someone told me I could only use one cam from now on for a 103 motor built for street use with or without ported heads it would be the Andrews 54 hands down. Great performer, quiet operation and a decent price. I have yet to find anything I don't like about that cam.
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Clevy wants to know Dino or Syn?
How do you ride. Do you want power from just a crackmof your wrist or do you like to rip thru the gears and rev er. For torque the 255s are hard to beat. Decent mileage and bolt right in with your stock parts however you will want to change cam bearings. They will give you instant response in the low rpm range and turn 6th gear into a usuable gear at 60 mph. Yoy won't need to downshift to pass quickly.
If you are a bit of a racer and like the higher rpms the woods 555 are pretty good but need a bit more than stock compression. The 777 are pricing to be be pretty good in a 103 that fuel MOTO is testing.
Your riding style will dictate cam choice
Clevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Ozroder wants to know Dino or Syn?
The TR590 is an excellent cam too, produced 115/115 in a slap together 103 build using Dan Vance Heads over 12 months ago and the dyno graph is featured on the DVR website.........

10.8 Comp ratio, SE50mm intake which was just slapped on without sizing to the intake port correctly and I believe a bored to 54mm intake would get the engine close to 120/120........

Pipes were Bassani Pro Street stepped turn outs...........
A/c was SS tuned length induction.

Ozroder
Ozroder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplct View Post
I dont know how the other cams are, but I like the 255's in mine, they pull hard in 6th on the eway at 70mph still. doing 80mph and still under 3k rpm.
nice, I will probably go with SE 259 as far being still under waranty.
like your exhaust is it D&D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.