CR575 and Dragos 2 into 1 installation complete : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

cruzmisl wants to know Dino or Syn?
CR575 and Dragos 2 into 1 installation complete

Well it took a while but I finally finished the job. Between going back and forth to the dealer for parts and upgrading some bolts with Diamond Engineering stuff it took a little longer than expected. Either way its all done and looks good.

I had to replace the primary chain tensioner since the shoe was showing some wear. I probably could have left it but it would have always bothered me. The cams required a .020" thicker washer so the sprockets were within spec. I adjusted the SE pushrods and used some loctite to ensure they don't come apart, mounted the two into one and hooked the EMS system up. Another hour (or three) to button up the rest and it was time to hit the go button.

Frankly I was sh!tting my pants. I'm not a mechanic. Hell, I'm not even a weekend wrench. I can however follow directions well. The last thing I need is head damage or something else that will cost big money. When it was time, I hit the start button. Holy sweet mother of God! For a second I thought the thing blew up. It sounded like there were loose bolts in my motor and the exhaust was loud enough to knock you down. It was midnight so I had the garage door closed which made it seem much louder than it was. After two minutes or so the lifters pumped up, the banging went away and I let it idle for ten minutes to allow the EMS system to do its thing. Yeah for me! At least idles perfectly.

The weather here has been rainy the last week so not much opportunity to ride today but I did manage to get 30 miles on it. This cam is a BEAST man! Its really strong and pulls like a freight train. The acceleration is seamless and very solid. The roll on performance in 6th gear at 80mph is also much better than before. Actually, if you're in any gear at 3k rpm and crack the throttle the acceleration is instantaneous

The 2 into 1 helps the package as well. Frank at Dragos bike works was awesome to deal with and the pipe is really good quality. I got stuck with the install at 7pm on Saturday night and called his number listed on the website. Of course I had to leave a message since they were closed. Less than five minutes later I got a call back from Frank and he sorted out my issue (wasn't an issue really I just needed clarification because as I said I'm not a mechanic). Try to get that service nowadays. Its very rare.

All is not perfect though. I have an intermittent slight off idle stumble when its hot. Its most noticeable when pulling away from a stop. It does require a bit more throttle and a bit more clutch when pulling away. Nothing crazy its just not like it was which is expected. I'm sure its a tuning issue that Andrew will sort out.

Aside from that minor quibble I'm ABSOLUTELY satisfied. Honestly, I didn't expect it to pull as hard as it does. Its so linear its a like a hydraulic motor

Lets look at the recipe. A regular guy buys some tools, watches a video on the internet and has a shop manual. He decides on a camshaft that is not widely used and a tuner that's 600 miles away. Picks a pipe that is also not widely used based on the suggestion from the guy that sells it. Puts it all together on a weekend and the result is a bike that performs 95%. That's awesome! All the variables involved and I only have an intermittent off idle stumble. You can't complain about that.

My only question is when will I trust the bike? Since I'm not a mechanic I think I hear strange noises and waiting for it to blow up. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere when or if it happens. Do I need to recheck anything?

Now the goods! If you read this much you at least deserve a picture.

and a video. The sound beside the bike is most accurate. I think it overloaded the mic on the camera from behind. When you get on it people know it means business

I hope this helps someone else who may be on the fence. I saved $700 by doing it myself (that's what my dealer wanted). I bought a really nice steak dinner and a set of headers with my savings. I wouldn't have been able to afford the headers if I paid the dealer for the install.

Joe

PS, bearing puller and installer and for sale if someone else wants to take on a similar project.

Joe
cruzmisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

CowboyTutt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Very nice report! I'd be curious to see the specs on that camshaft but they appear to choose not to post them online anywhere that I can find. Very nice looking ride too. -Tutt
CowboyTutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Here you go,

CR575
Intake open 15 close 35 .575 lift 100LC 22 overlap
Ex. open 49 close 7 .560 lift 111LC 105.5 LSA
Old 09-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

CowboyTutt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your engine is a stock 96 I think? That looks like a good cam for that application. Nice job! And thanks for the specs! -Tutt
CowboyTutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Yep stock 96.
Thanks!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

harleyrider54 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wink

Sounds good to me.Good luck and enjoy
harleyrider54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement