120R Street Glide 9K mile touring review : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

seglide120r wants to know Dino or Syn?
120R Street Glide 9K mile touring review

Installed the screaming eagle 120R Kit(not crate) last fall into my 09 street glide. It has the SE266 CAM, SE Roller Rockers, D&D Boarzilla Exhaust, and Timken Bearings. Tuned by Blue Springs, MO Harley-Davidson to 140ish square. This is my review as a touring platform after 5K of daily riding and a 4K summer vacation tour.

I opted to stick with the recommended SE pro race clutch setup. While this is a great clutch for racing, most will not be able to handle the pull on a daily basis. I've ridden it so much I don't see the need to change it out for another option(vpc, hydraulic, etc..) The pull is ok for me but wouldn't reccommend for any average rider.

The torque of the bike is spot on for my touring habits, it will pull stumps with no complaints and I see no reason to move the torque curve more to the left. It has enough torque now at lower rpm to roast the tires and i've found that having the torque up a bit higher is more suitable for roll on power in 5th and 6th gears when you want to pass someone(i cruise at 70+). The engine seems to be very happy at the 2800-3200 rpm range and is optimum cruising range at 75-80 in 6th. It's equally capable of cruising at 60-75mph in 6th, but it suffers a bit of roll on power in this lower rpm range. Caveat: it is more than adequate roll on power even in that range.

Heat issues daily and touring - Non existent in 90+F deadlock traffic. I have the screaming eagle premium oil cooler. This engine runs so much cooler than my stock 96 with Stage 1 you'll not hear any complaints about heat from me. It never has kicked in the heat management system(yes it's turned on).

Fuel milage - Daily I get 35-40 when I'm riding like a mad man, 40-50 when driven sanely.

After 4000 mile trip through Arkansas Mountains, New Orleans Traffic, Gulf Coast Beach Cruise, Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee backroads, Tail of the Dragon, Cherehola Skyway, Blueridge Parkway, 4 lane flat highways, 4 lane hilly highway... any type of riding you could think of in this area it consistently got better fuel milage than my fathers stock(no stage 1) Ultra Limted 103". Anywhere from 2/10 to 1/2 gallon per tank better. The reason, I was able to cruise in 6th gear more often in more situations than a stock 103". The power of the 120R allows it eat up roads with ease. The only place that I got slightly less fuel milage was in the tail of the dragon when I was slaying it while he was cruising it. Even then it was a marginal difference.

Carving in the mountains: Umm this engine affords you the torque to really power through and out of the curves to the next one without a ton of shifting. 1-2 gears most of the time in the mountains. Obviously you'll have to get it down into some lower gears on the 15mph rated mountain curves, but it gives you enough power to hang with bikes you previously had no chance. I'm not an expert mountain carver, but even with my mediocre skills i could hang with the average sport bike riders. I'm sure many of you more skilled riders would have a blast on a 120r equipped Harley.

Is it a touring engine - performance and fuel efficiency I would have to say yes. Reliability still to be proven. Need more miles to really prove reliability.

seglide120r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

FLTRSE3CLONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
I see you took it across the dragon...How'd that go?
11 fltruse FBI wheels& hidden axle 574 Fuelling cams & lifters.J&M rocker series speakers & amp,RC open a/c RB Racing 2-1 spyder , Aim-vpc92, SE 58mm TB, HPI 5.3 inj,tuned by strokerjlk 112.76/118.99 sae
115.42/121.85 std
FLTRSE3CLONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

NCTURBOS wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nice!! Thanks for posting a real world experience.

K.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: The build(s)... Coming soon!

S.B.B. BikeBooberfest Horsepower Shootout winner, 2011...
NCTURBOS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRSE3CLONE View Post
I see you took it across the dragon...How'd that go?
That was awesome, sharpened the boards up a bit. The power band on this engine really helps with that type of riding on a big v-twin harley. I by no means was tearing it up, but no one was passing or on my ass. All I can say is it was a freakin' blast!!!! You'll have to be careful because the 120R can get you into some speeds where you really have to brake hard to make the next corner. This was my first trip to the Dragon and I felt like the 120R made it a more enjoyable ride. It was obvious the bike could go much faster than my skill would allow.

Last edited by seglide120r; 06-16-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Fennellg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Great review. My friend and salesman said it would not make a good engine for touring. You seem to be proving him wrong. I was also concerned about gas mileage. You are doing better than my 96. Wonder if Harley will offer this on a touring bike? The 110 has had its share of troubles.
Fennellg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennellg View Post
Great review. My friend and salesman said it would not make a good engine for touring. You seem to be proving him wrong. I was also concerned about gas mileage. You are doing better than my 96. Wonder if Harley will offer this on a touring bike? The 110 has had its share of troubles.
Bluesprings HD has a a very good tuner and I suspect that has a lot to do with my mpg. I call BS on the not a good touring engine. However, like I said before reliability is a big part of touring; which is yet to be proven.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

pwmorris wants to know Dino or Syn?
Great, honest, straightup review!
Thanks-
MULTI HARLEY RACE WINNER
3 X BEST OF SHOW
pwmorris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

SchutzhundMan wants to know Dino or Syn?
the heads

What size heads are in the 120r are they 110 stock heads?
SchutzhundMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Still the Same!

wurk_truk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark mpdc View Post
What size heads are in the 120r are they 110 stock heads?
Nope they are MVAs.

Nice review, BTW.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
FNG :)

thewhitedogg wants to know Dino or Syn?
nice review, I'm finding the same results as you. I've yet to take it on a long road trip (sturgis will be the big one) but as a daily driver and weekend all day ride its a great engine for touring
thewhitedogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
FNG :)

SLA1500 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Same great results as posted above on my '11 SG too. 4,500+ on the clock after Sturgis, and I can't imagine a better bike for touring. Very smooth, and lots of power/torque on tap.
SLA1500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

DURWOOD wants to know Dino or Syn?
Seaglide, that is one beautiful motorcycle,style,fit and function at it's best!!
What handle bars are you running?

John 3:16
DURWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Livin' Free Indeed

AzFAL wants to know Dino or Syn?
Great news! Sounds like H-D has done its homework & you got yourself a great engine set-up.

2002 Dyna
117" GMR built
S&S cyl./piston kit
R&R 615/585 cam
10.3:1 CR
GMR CNC heads
45 Mikuni
Fat Cat
DTT ign
AzFAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Dyna Ryda is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Very nice bike, I find myself wanting a hot rod bagger more and more. Growing up in west Kentucky I have riden some of those roads, great riding there. Good review of the 120r also.
Dyna Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
Same thing we have seen on our end.. I have read the post where the guides are not correct the valves, seats BLAH BLAH BLAH is all I really hear in my reading reading the same ole post about the heads.. Then that the cylinders are not correct, you must bore them etc.. They did change the ring pack around and I do think that it helps to improve the seal in the cylinder. A whole lotta engine for the price tag.

The engine is a proven runner thus far and my customer did not even come close on the Hoka Hey run but the engine is box stock and never missed a beat on the 10,000 mile trip.

Please keep us posted as you log more miles.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.